VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,008 Posts
Re: What are people running for suspension, (snickers_163)

bought car = stock suspension
changed to boge shock/stuts eibach lowering springs = hated it
changed to current set up H&R Coilovers = LOVE 'EM!!!!
also have 28mm Autotech rear sway bar / removed the front sway bar / eurosport tie bars / Autotech 4 point brace / custom crossmember brace.

·
Registered
603 Posts

been dragging the same set of koni adjustables + neuspeed softsports around with me for the past 6 years (they have been on 4 different roccos so far
). For sway bars i've always stuck with stock (16v).

[Modified by Allyn, 8:41 PM 4-10-2002]

·
Registered
562 Posts
Re: What are people running for suspension, (Allyn)

quote:[HR][/HR]been dragging the same set of koni adjustables + neuspeed softsports around with me for the past 6 years (they have been on 4 different roccos so far
). For sway bars i've always stuck with stock (16v).[HR][/HR]​
LOL... ditto that, with one exception - I've been running the Neuspeed Race springs for about 5 years, and before that Spax. It goes without saying that the Spax springs were crap. The Neuspeeds worked a lot better but you sacrifice a lot of ride comfort to get that spring rate and ride height. They just take away far too much suspension travel. For that reason I'll be upgrading to a coilover setup as soon as $$ permits...

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Re: What are people running for suspension, (Star Child)

Hor Tech race springs (1.5" drop, maybe more... with age and usage)
Tokico Illuminas 5-way adjustables front (very decent, lifetime warranty)
New OEM inserts rear (why spend money there?... fine as it is)
Very nice for tracks, flat roads/highways and auto-xes
Not so nice around town and every day driving w/15" inch rims

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Re: What are people running for suspension, (Jim's16VScirocco)

H&R coilovers, everything else stock (8v). The ONLY thing I'd change is a better rear swaybar (i.e an O-bars bar or home-made Shine style bar).
But they're still better than anything I've ridden on!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Re: What are people running for suspension, (Jim's16VScirocco)

illuminas are good and all (i had em before the konis), but they just wont go soft enough for me. if im doing a big highway trip i want the suspension at least as soft as stock. the konis soft setting is right around stock (if not a tad softer), while the stiff setting is... well... i've never went that stiff honestly. half way there is teeth rattling enough.

·
Registered
12,365 Posts
Re: What are people running for suspension, (Gewinn)

H&R CupKit w/ autotech F19/R28 swaybars
Love the CupKit!! Might be a little high still if your going for the dropped look but it still rides very good http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
371 Posts
Re: What are people running for suspension, (-camber)

i got koni adjustables and some german brand springs, it rides pretty good, i like the feel, much better than my worn out stock. o yea also have a neuspeed front strut bar, helps stiffen up the chassis some.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts

I just installed Weitec SX Coilovers on my rocco. I wont beable to checkem out till december. Reason being that she wont be back together till then.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts

Koni Sports (exernally adjustable on all 4 corners)
+ ST springs (these ones don't sag like some people think)
+ Neuspeed 22mm front swaybar & 25mm rear swaybar
+ Neuspeed top, bottom, rear stress bars
+ Polyurethane strut bearings
= go-kart like experience
I'm actually replacing the front cartridges before ND. After 10 years of use I can say the Konis have finally worn out up front. Gotta love lifetime warranties!!! Oh, I also have only a pinkies width in the front between the tire & fender. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

[Modified by LimeGreen79Rocco, 5:39 PM 4-10-2002]

·
Registered
384 Posts
Re: What are people running for suspension, (LimeGreen79Rocco)

This is going to sound really funny given all the recommendations above.
My old 80' S had Neuspeed lowering springs and get this....cheap Boge OIL shocks! The result was a super mooth ride with good control in bumpy corners. Worked super! Exactly how I wanted it. I found that because the car is so lightweight, hard shocks didn't feel so good for street driving.
I didn't have any sway bars either!

·
Registered
13,096 Posts

16v Scirocco (street car) - Bilstein sports, H&R lowering springs, upper and lower front stress bars, stock sway bars
This combination gives a firm but not punishing ride. The springs are a bit soft for anything other than spirited driving and the rear seems looser than normal (which is a good thing)
16v GTi (ITA car) - Koni single adjustable, Ground Control coilovers - 425 lb F, 400 lb R, 28mm rear bar (Neuspeed), no front bar
This setup combined with the welded rollcage transforms the handling by reducing the factory-designed understeer - in limited traction conditions, it's possible to spin the car as the rear is significantly stiffer than OE. In high traction conditions (hot dry track), the car sticks quite well although not nearly as well as Hondas which have a superior suspension design.

·
Registered
11,649 Posts
Re: What are people running for suspension, (mgyip)

H&R Sports, Bilstein Sports, Neuspeed upper bar, Neuspeed triangulated rear bar, Neuspeed swaybars, poly bushings all around (Bugpack/Potterman), and 15" wheels. Nothing bigger than 15's for me - anything bigger is strictly a cosmetic addition (if that) and I like the cosmetics of 15's just fine, thankyouverymuch.. these are old-skook cars after all!
This combo is quite streetable for daily driver use, but also kicks ass when canyon carving. The stuff has about 50k miles on it now, and the Bilsteins show ZERO sign of wear in that timeframe.. good stuff Maynard! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
324 Posts
Re: What are people running for suspension, (KevinC)

I just installed H&R Sports and KYBs on my 16V. I'm very happy with the ride /cornering compromise so far, but I'm autoX-ing this setup for the first time on Sunday, so I'll have a firmer opinion after that... Hopefully, I won't have a repeat of the bent hub assembly/mangled control arm debacle that resulted from the setup pictured below! (DON'T USE Z-RATED SLICKS WITH STOCK SUSPENSION!)

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Re: What are people running for suspension, (okartguy)

quote:[HR][/HR]DON'T USE Z-RATED SLICKS WITH STOCK SUSPENSION[HR][/HR]​
(Let me jot down this important financial tip).
Looks like fun. Maybe some day... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.