VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys get test drives in cars when yu don't have an intention of buying them?
What are some good lines? What are some bad ones? How do you dress? etc, etc, etc...
Thanks. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
And salesmen, I don't mean no harm...

·
Registered
704 Posts
Re: What are some ways to test drive for fun? (CS VW)

i used to do this all the time when i was in college. just act like you're interested, and you should be fine. no need to dress up - just dress like someone who can affford the car in question.

·
Registered
11,163 Posts

Yeah look like your a serious buyer, and maybe they will let you test drive it. But if you look like your 17 and still wearing your Burger King uniform I dont' recomend walking into the dealer and asking if you could take out a 350Z for a spin.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: What are some ways to test drive for fun? (aliengti)

Thanx for the quick replies fellas. The question is what happens after the test drive? They ask you questions like, 'what's up next, let's run some numbers' and instead them lookin' at me like I make 50K, they find out I make 20K.
LOL.

How can you stop the pressure from a salesperson?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts

I love taking cars out for test drives.
The other week I drove the Mini Cooper S, G35 coupe, G35 sedan, FX35, and BMW 745Li. Oddly my favorite was the Mini
. One thing they love is when you call ahead of time and schedule a test drive.

[Modified by Ken93P-GLX, 10:33 AM 3-19-2003]

·
Registered
5,235 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Thanx for the quick replies fellas. The question is what happens after the test drive? They ask you questions like, 'what's up next, let's run some numbers' and instead them lookin' at me like I make 50K, they find out I make 20K. How can you stop the pressure from a salesperson?[HR][/HR]​
I test drive a lot - as it's cheap fun - and what I do is I listen to their price quote and say that I need to look into selling my car privately. Or, I say I want to bring my husband to see the car so that he can be included. Actually, since we buy lots of cars, I always go in with the possibility that I could really commit to the car I'm looking at - I never test drive cars in which I'm not interested already. Case in point - last November we test drove the Cooper S and actually left after putting a deposit down on an order!

·
Registered
704 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Thanx for the quick replies fellas. The question is what happens after the test drive? They ask you questions like, 'what's up next, let's run some numbers' and instead them lookin' at me like I make 50K, they find out I make 20K.
LOL.

How can you stop the pressure from a salesperson?[HR][/HR]​
i used to say 'i'm in the intial research stage... i'm not ready to talk about financing etc quite yet....why don't you givec me your card and i'll call you when i'm ready to move ahead?'
by asking for the card it makes you seem serious.... then you can just toss the card in the trash when you get home.

·
Registered
19,963 Posts

When I was young, nobody would give me the time of day if I walked into a dealer showroom. Now that I'm in my 30's, salespeople are on me the second I'm in the door. And I am usually offered a test-drive before I have a chance to ask.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Re: What are some ways to test drive for fun? (MEIN_VW)

heh, when I was in California, I rolled up to an Audi dealership to just have a closer look at an S4, to see if I could fit in it right. strlen was with me, I was wearing some well-worn shorts, a tshirt, and my Jetta was pretty dirty.
Well, they had one on the lot, and we ended up taking it for a test drive, which shocked me. I guess in the bay area, even the punk 20 year olds are potential dot com monkeys

·
Registered
263 Posts
Re: What are some ways to test drive for fun? (grue)

Just say to the salesperson" Hi I am a prick, I know you work hard to make a living for you and your family by selling vehicles but I am just here to take a joyride and waste your time, normally I would just steal the car I wanted to to drive but since that is illegal I figured its your job to cater to my needs" http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: What are some ways to test drive for fun? (TXA2VR420)

quote:[HR][/HR]Just say to the salesperson" Hi I am a prick, I know you work hard to make a living for you and your family by selling vehicles but I am just here to take a joyride and waste your time, normally I would just steal the car I wanted to to drive but since that is illegal I figured its your job to cater to my needs" http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif [HR][/HR]​

Who said the salesperson has to go?
And I meant this as a fun thread, no harm, hence the
quote:[HR][/HR]And salesmen, I don't mean no harm...[HR][/HR]​
It isn't like I intend to go out and test drive a different car at every dealership because of a thread I read on the Vortex.
It ain't that serious, bro. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
314 Posts

also go there with a car thats compareable to the vw in price so they know or think that you have the cash to back up your interest. but mainly just look interested, and dont get there and ask for a test drive right away.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts

Well...
(1) If possible, try to call in first, say you are interested in the car (you want to test drive) and make a test drive reservation w/ a salesperson.
(2) Just dress normally/casually but do not dress like a bum. You don't have to dress up because it is just a test drive. If you have a spouse, go with him/her.
(3) When you are there, act like you are serious and ask a lot of questions. Don't go in and just ask for the key. Also, be focus and only talks about the car(s) that you "wanted". Don't try to test drive everyone of their offering like you just want to try it out and leave. If you do want to test drive more than one of their models, say something like, "yeah the A4 1.8T is nice and I like it... but I really want to know what is the difference between this and the 3.0.", but don't say, "yeah the A4 1.8T is nice... but I really want to know what is the difference between this and the Porsche Boxter S.". Try the Boxster at a later time...
(4) After the test drive, chat with the salesperson about things like option packages and MSRP prices, etc. Don't just walk out right after it. However, you don't need to deal with them for the final prices.
(5) If the salesperson want you to commit, say you've to, for example, think about the payment options, or you need some more time to think about the deal, or you want to check out some others competitions in the market. If you can, don't give them your number and say you'll call them up "soon" when you're ready.
(6) If you had give them your number and they called you, say it is not the time for you to get the car, or you're still thinking about it. This will send them a clear signal

(7) Don't go to the same dealership too often (say, once per week?
)unless you are actually serious in getting one of their offering. They will remember (a local Mercedes salesperson can still call me by my name even though I haven't been there for a long time!) However, since salespersons are moving in and out a lot (esp. for the dealerships that sell lower end cars), it is OK if you go there once in a while to check things out. If possible, call in for a different salesperson.
(8) If you want to go to see a 2-seater (like a Miata, etc.), go w/ another person (I usually go w/ my wife
). That way, the salesperson will not tag along.
I enjoy test driving, and not to mention when I do actually want to get a car, I know which cars/brands I should shop for.

[Modified by 1Point8T, 10:37 AM 3-19-2003]

·
Banned
12,115 Posts
Re: What are some ways to test drive for fun? (1Point8T)

I won't get involved in this discussion. Suffice to say, don't test drive something unless you actually intend on buying a car.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Just say to the salesperson" Hi I am a prick, I know you work hard to make a living for you and your family by selling vehicles but I am just here to take a joyride and waste your time, normally I would just steal the car I wanted to to drive but since that is illegal I figured its your job to cater to my needs" http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif [HR][/HR]​
lol, its funny how the same group of people that think its no big deal to joy ride in a car are the same group of people that complain that they can't get good help at a dealership and that they know more than this sales guy or that guy or this or that.
how bout this, if you want to drive a car and have no intention of buying just be upfront with the salesperson, say something like i'm not really in the market for the car but i like it and am interested to see what it is all about would you mind if we took one out.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Re: What are some ways to test drive for fun? (AudiVwMeister)

quote:[HR][/HR]how bout this, if you want to drive a car and have no intention of buying just be upfront with the salesperson, say something like i'm not really in the market for the car but i like it and am interested to see what it is all about would you mind if we took one out. [HR][/HR]​
I did pretty much the same thing once, I was in a VW dealership looking at the 1.8T GTI and a sales person came up to ask me if he could help. I told him that I wouldn't even consider buying a new car till I was out of college (I was a freshman at the time), and I just wanted to take one for a spin for the fun of it. He said ok, and we were off. After the test drive he gave me his card and told me to call him when I graduated. He even said that if I ever had some spare time and wanted to drive the VR6 I should come by and see him.
I say honesty is the best policy.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Re: What are some ways to test drive for fun? (ChrisDJ142)

Drive on down to good 'ole Wess Baginia and the dealers don't go with you. When I moved here for a job last August I drove an A4, Accord V6, and later a GLI and last week 2 Mazda 6s without a dealer going. they just give you a plate and keys say "see ya in a few". And yes, I'm moving

·
Registered
207 Posts

*Hear that? It's the worlds smallest violin playing just for the car salesmen. Sorry, I am sure they are nice people, but somehow I don't feel guilty about scamming some test drives to kill an afternoon.

If you are too young/dirty looking you can always mention that you just got a big insurance settlement and will be buying a car with cash in the next few days. Get their card, and you don't even have to work on it for to long before you have the keys. I even had a guy at the Nissan dealership offer to let me take a SE-R overnight. I didn't, but I got a nice long test drive without the salesman instead. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
11,304 Posts

go in with a little bit of a cocky attitude, thats what i did and it worked for me and im only 17, but pulling up in my grandmothers 5 series helped a little bit
if you act like you know what you want then you will get the keys faster, dont look like a bum, just look respectable, and act like you know about the car - youve done your research.
whatever you do dont give them your f~cking phone number i made that mistake and the guy left me messages for 3 days straight and called again a week later before giving up from me not returning his messages

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Re: What are some ways to test drive for fun? (fitch)

iv stopped cuz it such a pain in the ass to go through the hassle of having the salesman talk to you. we drove a c-coupe last time, a car i didnt know much about. but usullay, i had fund correction the salesman or adding things he left out

1 - 20 of 26 Posts