VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends and i were driving around on the weekend lined up on the 3 lanes crusing, and my friend on my left peels out and a couple of blocks later a motorcycle cop pulls him over, and about 3/4 a mile a different motorcycle cop pulls me and another buddy over. I believe she didnt see a thing, and we didnt even hit the speed limit. Do you guys think i can fight it or just plead no contest?

· Registered
4,463 Posts
Re: What are the charges for a Speed Content? (Racer Gil)

breaking traction is a no no.. a pretty decent sized on if i remember correctly..
also. one cop used a radio to tell the other one that there were two people racing..
ask them. I bet i'm pretty close.

· Registered
6,442 Posts
Re: What are the charges for a Speed Content? (Godlike)

Exibition of speed (sp ) in California. This goes for street racing as well as the burnie.
Misdamenor, 2 points on your CDL.
Could be a healthy fine to boot.
I could read the code to you but won't be at work until Friday.
No Contest in court is a waste, still guilty, still goes on your CDL, only thing it does is makes that charge not usable in a civil case if somebody was going to sue you for neglegence.
Good luck
Charlie

· Registered
6,700 Posts
Re: What are the charges for a Speed Content? (Pinepig)

quote:[HR][/HR]Exibition of speed (sp) in California. This goes for street racing as well as the burnie.
Misdamenor, 2 points on your CDL.
Could be a healthy fine to boot.[HR][/HR]​
As per usual, the punishment hardly fits the
crime when it comes to traffic violations.
Probably a couple-few hundred bucks for
burning rubber? It's all a friggin' racket.
Somebody get me a gun...

· Registered
1,677 Posts

If your driving record is clean then go to court. You can often plead guilty with an explanation. Take a copy of your driving record to show to the judge when you go. Dress appropriately (don't show up in a torn up Metallica concert shirt, cut off blue jean shorts and flip flops. Unfortunately, appearances do matter). Show the judge respect when talking, "Yes your honor, No your honor". You may have to explain yourself, so be creative but don't BS the judge. He/She has probably heard every story in the book (no I am not encouraging you to lie).
I have done with two traffic offenses and both the fine and points were reduced by at least half.

· Registered
46 Posts

I got a ticket for engaging in a speed contest (the official term) when I was 18 (about ~12 years ago
, how time flies...). It was at night, I had my old modified 1970 Celica (my first car) and I was racing, yes, a VW Scirocco (spelling??). This cop sat a few hundred feet behind us with his lights off while we sat at a red light. We both took off, tires smoking and all, and the cop threw on all his lights and pulled us both over. (I was ahead when it all ended at least!)
Its not a good ticket to get, not your standard speeding ticket as others have voiced. In California, I think that ticket actually stays on your record for 7 years, not the standard 3. I set a court date and appeared in court with a lawyer. The possible fine was around $5k so I thought $500 for a lawyer for a few hours was worth it. The judge reduced my ticket to "an unsafe start". This is only a 3 year, 1 point violation with a small fine, so I gladly took it.
Whatever you do, do what VR6Dub suggested. Wear a suit, lots of yes sirs and no sirs. Show a lot of respect, whether you feel like it or not. Mostly, do a little research and see what you are in for. A speed contest ticket is something you really want to treat seriously.
Good luck! I know what its like...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.