VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for an 03' 1.8T GTI, what is gained with a larger diameter CAI?? i'm sure the high end will probably increase, but how about low to mid rpms? i know most CAI's are 2.5"-2.75", correct? so wouldn't a 3" CAI increase lag due to less vaccuum from a larger diameter?
neuspeed came out with a new 3" CAI for 1.8T's. it's about the same price as carbonio's which is 2.5" i believe. so which one is better? 2.5" or 3"?
[posted this in tech also, but like always, response is a lot less than it is here. no flaming please.]

·
Banned
523 Posts
Re: What are the drawbacks of a 3" CAI? (GrayRayT)

The 3" will definatly drop your low end power more than a 2.5" will. Because of the larger diameter, you will be able to pull in more air at the top end, but the air will have a lower velocity. At upper RPMs the larger diameter will be beneficial because of the larger volume, but at lower RPMs the larger diameter will hurt you because of the low air velocity.
The AEM (its different sizes for different engines, i think) produces a +15hp and +12 ft/lb at 6000 rpms
There is a dyno at the bottom of this link :
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=856622
If you are interested, I can get you an AEM in any color they make (red, blue, polished, grey) for any MkIV North American Engine (2.0, 1.8T, VR6) for $160 shipped to you. IM me if you are interested.
That is about half of what you would spend with Neuspeed or Carbonio so you could use that other $150 on other mods http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
8,927 Posts
Re: What are the drawbacks of a 3" CAI? (indignation)

i dont know but 2.5 inch might already be overkill. i know that the CAI will suck up water if you emerge it in water

·
Banned
354 Posts
Re: What are the drawbacks of a 3" CAI? (awwsheeet)

Quote, originally posted by awwsheeet »
i know that the CAI will suck up water if you emerge it in water

So don't drive in really deep water!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts