VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine seems to be a little louder than normal lately. Of course my back seat has been removed so it's louder than most peoples cars but I've got a constant whine. I haven't had the car long enough to know if it's normal but I don't remember hearing my pump in my Scirocco.
Also, what are other symptoms of a failing pump?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Re: What are the signs of a failing fuel pump? (4Rings)

i think mine is failing, it makes these high pitched whining sounds after i shut the car OFF. Like a loud whine which after a few seconds tapers off into silence.

·
Banned
1,867 Posts
Re: What are the signs of a failing fuel pump? (silver98gtivr6)

mine just went. i did notice it got a little louder, but also, my throttle response decreased enormously. first, when i was on the highway in fifth gear, when i gunned it, it took awhile and the engine started bucking. within a week, it did that through all the gears, and i needed a tow
. then i fixed it and it runs great now

·
Registered
14,303 Posts
Re: What are the signs of a failing fuel pump? (ZJORVIS)

More fuel pump noise can be sign of a failing pump; however, I had a fuel pump that completely failed at 228K miles without any prior indication. Just cann't get good parts these days!!!
A slightly clogged fuel filter can cause the fuel pump to work harder, and this problem can look like a failing fuel pump.
Probably the biggest indication is a degradation of engine performance due a decrease in System Pressure. If you have the VW CIS pressure tester, then you can tell if the System Pressure is less the specified value of 78 psi, plus or minus a couple of psi. Again a low pressure reading can be caused by a clogged fuel filter.
If your Bunny has high mileage and the fuel pump has never been replaced, then you probably have a fuel pump in your future. High mileage pumps will have extremely worn brushes and armature. Regards, WWR.

[Modified by WackyWabbitRacer, 2:53 PM 4-11-2002]

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Re: What are the signs of a failing fuel pump? (WackyWabbitRacer)

Try replacing the fuel filter 1st. If that doesn't work...then get the new fuel pump in there. As for A1s having 2 fuel pumps...not to my knowledge...I thought they only had one with the exception of the scirocco 16V..I know it has the in tank pump and the main fuel pump. Anyone else...I'd like to know for certain!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.