VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at buying a second Corrado and I went and looked at it, I noticed oil leaking from the bolts around the 1 cyl. and the 4 cyl. also when I poped the oil cap there was a white-ish foam on it. are these signs of the head gasket? I took some pictures if some one can tell me how to post them I will (after I get them developed tommarow.)
Oh yeah it's a G60 (1990)
also what does it run to fix?
[Modified by HuDuVuDu, 10:55 PM 11-20-2001]

[Modified by HuDuVuDu, 11:11 PM 11-20-2001]

· Registered
5,879 Posts
Re: What are the signs of a head gasket going out? (HuDuVuDu)

Take a look at the side of the engine were the head meats the block and it looks like it has oil residue thats the HD problem right there. Also check the spark plugs especially by the 1 cylinder if it looks kinda fouled and oily its a HD gasket problem.

· Registered
792 Posts
Re: What are the signs of a head gasket going out? (HuDuVuDu)

If the underside of the oil cap is white gooey sludge then there was once water in the oil, or still may be water in the oil. It is a good sign that the car has not been very well maintained. I would walk away from the car unless they offer it to you for a price that you can't walk away from. If you do get the car change the oil at least once a month for a few months to help clear out some of the sludge, and it wouldn't hurt to pull the oil pan off to get whatever is rotting in the bottom of it out. If the car smokes white then there is a good chance the head gasket is on it's way to the pisser. If it smokes black then there is oil bypassing somewhere in the engine. Some smoke can come from poor air/fuel mixture, but it ussually smells like raw fuel. Check the tailpipe residue and the timing belt before you fork over any cash.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.