VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Re: What belt to use with no ac conversion.. (HondamanturndVW)

depends on the bracket... are you going to be using the Euro non-AC bracket or a modified stock bracket?

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Re: What belt to use with no ac conversion.. (xaeryan)

Quote, originally posted by xaeryan »
depends on the bracket... are you going to be using the Euro non-AC bracket or a modified stock bracket?

When I get home tonight I can get you the belt # for a napa belt that works if you have modified the bracket and mounted the alternator where the A/C was.
ValveCover gasket gave me the length of the belt in cm....maybe you can IM him.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Re: What belt to use with no ac conversion.. (nickinboston)

Without power steering hooked up, here are the belt sizes:
If you're going to use a modified stock bracket, it's a 980mm belt (Gates or NAPA p/n 7380).
If you're going to use the Euro bracket, it's a 945mm belt (Gates or NAPA p/n 7365).
For more info: http://home.epix.net/~rhock99/tech_ac.htm
Good luck!

Modified by xaeryan at 5:47 PM 5-9-2003

Modified by xaeryan at 5:48 PM 5-9-2003

·
Registered
43,408 Posts

id run out and get you the length but the cars not at my house and the little package for the belt is sitting in the glove box

oh yeah here found it on my site, its a 10x970...dunno the napa part number but they oughta be able to find it for you

·
Registered
43,408 Posts
Re: What belt to use with no ac conversion.. (DCIdevil)

Quote, originally posted by DCIdevil »
cant you just use your same belt that drive the a/c and the water pump? Just mount the alt. where the a/c was?

no cause that belt was too thick IIRC its been a while so that may not be right

·
Registered
35,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: What belt to use with no ac conversion.. (ValveCoverGasket)

i have the extended pullet to use for it..my buddy sells the kit..i found out..i need to get the belt size...cant i use the altentator bracket in the same place as it went before and just rip out the ac junks?
still goin to have power steering

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Re: What belt to use with no ac conversion.. (HondamanturndVW)

Excuse the lack of 16v knowledge, but...
What all do I need for a no-AC conversion? My AC is aftermarket and the compressor screams like a banshee when the AC is on...so rather than replace it, Im going to remove the AC altogeather.
What pulley do I use, belt, etc.? And what is this "euro" bracket you guys are talking about?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,192 Posts

Quote, originally posted by ValveCoverGasket »
dont bother with the euro bracket, hack yours in half andput the alt wher the compressor used to be.

What do you mean buy "hack it in half"... got any pics?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

yeah, it's easy. and if you cut the stock bracket, you don't need the extended pulley. The extended pulley is only needed with the Euro bracket. The "Euro bracket" we are referring to came on many factory 16Vs in europe, which didn't all have AC or PS. It's much smaller and therefore weighs much less. Even my cut stock bracket is heavier by 3 pounds, not that 3 pounds makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Re: What belt to use with no ac conversion.. (EuroVeeDub)

EuroVeeDub: you gonna keep the power steering, or ditch that too?

·
Registered
43,408 Posts

Quote, originally posted by xaeryan »
The "Euro bracket" we are referring to came on many factory 16Vs in europe, which didn't all have AC or PS.

and conincidentaly, it costs ~$300 from the dealer...soooo...its not really worth bothering with. i got more pics of the conversion but thats the only real important part is cutting the bracket.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts

Definetly keeping the power steering...going without it for a year in the Rabbit wasn't my thing. I like power steering

·
Registered
1,277 Posts

Quote, originally posted by ValveCoverGasket »

stock bracket

cur bracket...youll see where exactly to cut when youve got it all apart. its really self explainatory

IMO i dont believe that is how you are suppose to "hack" your bracket. What happened to the top bolt holes? dont you need those for support on the alt. and stuff? remember your water pump is right behind that, i wouldnt put any more stress on that bracket than you need to.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.