VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.. I drive a 99mkIII VR6
looking to get a brake line upgrade.. I have done the search n' read many of the posts regarding these... many of them saying dirt may get into the SS brake line n' it will wear due the suspension travel..
based on all these.. I found the one selling on http://www.v-dubz.com has the best protection.. n' they r DOT approved too.. but it seems most ppls have gone to NS or goodridge... so I m wondering how good is this lines comparing to NS n' goodridge...
anyone who has SS brakeline.. plz share your experience... thank you

· Registered
10,057 Posts
Re: what brake lines to get? (daibachi)

Two things to look 4 when buying SS lines...molded on end boot to prevent stress failures at the ends and a covering over the braid to prevent dirt from getting in under it and chafing the inner teflon tube. We had lines on our ol Rabbit Cabby w/o the end boots and had a failure caused by the SS braid fracturing near the fitting and puncturing the inner tube....nasty...lucky for us ulitimate failure happened at low speed in parking lot so no one or nothing was hurt by it...but scared the hell outa my daughter!

· Registered
4,175 Posts

Quote, originally posted by daibachi »
anyone would like to say something about SS brake line?

Well, I just put a set on my car and I love them. Firmed up the pedal. Made my brakes less grabby, easier to control.

· Registered
265 Posts
Re: what brake lines to get? (spitpilot)

Any brands you know that have this feature?
Quote, originally posted by spitpilot »
Two things to look 4 when buying SS lines...molded on end boot to prevent stress failures at the ends and a covering over the braid to prevent dirt from getting in under it and chafing the inner teflon tube. We had lines on our ol Rabbit Cabby w/o the end boots and had a failure caused by the SS braid fracturing near the fitting and puncturing the inner tube....nasty...lucky for us ulitimate failure happened at low speed in parking lot so no one or nothing was hurt by it...but scared the hell outa my daughter!

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: what brake lines to get? (BBMW)

btw.. I also found that ESC brake line has the coating to prevent the dirt from geting into the line.. anyone here using ecs brakeline?
their price is also better than goodrige n' ns

· Registered
280 Posts

ECS had a group buy on SS lines a while back and I picked up a set. I haven't mounted them as of yet as it way too cold to work in my garage. As mentioned above, they do have a plastic coating that extends from end to end which I thought would be a big plus. IICR the Neuspeed and the Goodridge lines do not have the plastic coating. They are all DOT approved lines and I would suspect that they would all do a good job. In fact, even if you were to replace your worn rubber hoses with new OEM rubber ones, you'd feel an improvement. The only reason I got the SS lines was that with the sale, it was actually cheaper to go SS rather than rubber.

· Registered
4,723 Posts

You won't see too much improvement for your 4 y/o car. Where the difference becomes noticible is if you have a lot of miles and/or years on the car. If you think you need an upgrade, I'd put the money into better pads and fluid first and then see where you stand.
As far as the cables go, quality will be more or less the same across the various brands (most brands are just re-packaged, but there's probably a few bad ones here and there), and the big thing (as suggested earlier) is that you really want to find a set that doesn't have exposed braids.

· Registered
120 Posts

I plan o do the SS line on my car come summer and have done a lot of research. I ended up calling goodrich and speaking with their techs. Very nice people. They told me that you can get the line with or without the plastic cover. I had the same concerns as you. I live in the northeast and was very concerned about sand and salt in the winter.

· Registered
875 Posts
Re: what brake lines to get? (galt11)

What did Goodridge say about the non coated lines?...did they recommend getting the coated ones?...
I ordered these ones here

from http://www.evolutionsports.com , this is the link to the page
https://www.evolutionsports.co...=1292
I've never ordered anything from them B4 and I'm not sure if these are coated or not, but it doesn't look like it in the pic...however they do say that "Autotech's SportTuned Brake Lines also feature billet stainless steel ends, instead of the normally used carbon steel. This exclusive design ensures absolutely corrosion-free performance" I hope that they are good quality
we have nast winters here
...check pic in sig

· Registered
120 Posts
Re: what brake lines to get? (btljus)

Sorry about the delay. I posted a reply by it didn't go through from work. They understood why I wanted the coated ones but said either could be used and would be fine. They had never heard of any ss lines ever failing from" JUST" sand or salt. They have had failure but they could be attributed to many things. I would recommend that you call them for more specific info. FYI, you can get the Autotech lines directly from Autotech.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.