VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Model 3P, 981 Boxster S
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not talking about features that exist on one car but don't on another. What is brand new and innovative? As a OEM Product Manager, what would you have engineering create and release in your segment? I'll go first.

Segment: Electric Vehicles
Feature: Heated Hood
Description: By design, snow and ice do not melt off of EV hoods as no waste heat is produced from under the hood as on ICE. While the top glass and roof of car benefit from warm cabin temps and aid in ice/snow defrost, EV hoods stay frozen adding inconvenience to the driver. I would introduce a heated hood so snow and ice stay clear of the hood just like the roof aiding the driver in safety and convenience. In many situations, glass roof EV specific drivers do not have to brush snow off the top of the car or scrape ice off windows since fast and hot preheating is common. Extending to the hood would be welcome

·
Registered
Orig owner 90 g60, 02 allroad 6SP M w/ 3rd Row, 07 3X White NB Vert, 09 Escalade ESV Plat to tow em
8,334 Posts
Hmm, I’ll buy the first round

Segment: Vehicle Entertainment
Feature: RFID Wallet Integration
Description: Over a decade ago the toll road industry began to remove humans from the transaction process on SoCal toll roads. One beta feature offered when the RFID window modules were introduced was the ability to use the drive through at a handful of McDonald’s and pay for your meal with your toll road account module affixed on the windscreen.

Fast forward a decade and RFID technology has evolved to allow a chip installed in CarPlay or AA for the same purpose. Security protocols would be handled by the owners handheld with the vehicles RFID chip simply being the conduit for the transactions with data displayed on the vehicles HUD or main view screen.

Existing Apps like Starbucks, McDonalds or even (snarky tone) Toll Road Authorities could update their software to whatever the standardized RFID protocol is, similar to BT. Essentially the app would recognize RFID hotspots configured on the the owners handheld and the transaction would be completed through the vehicles displays vs the owner’s handheld device.

“Hey Siri, order Garrick’s usual at Starbucks”. Siri would respond … would you like to authorize the venti, half-whole milk, one quarter 1%, one quarter non-fat, extra hot, split quad shots (1 1/2 shots decaf, 2 1/2 shots regular), no foam latte, with whip, 2 packets of splenda, 1 sugar in the raw, a touch of vanilla syrup and 3 short sprinkles of cinnamon sugar on the display for $12.95?

After acknowledging via a click or verbally, the transaction details, to whatever extent is desired, would display on the cars view screen. Personalization & promotional parameters would self fund the technology’s future. I feel so American imagining another way to make eating more convenient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
HVAC controls on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
Model 3P, 981 Boxster S
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After acknowledging via a click or verbally, the transaction details, to whatever extent is desired, would display on the cars view screen. Personalization & promotional parameters would self fund the technology’s future. I feel so American imagining another way to make eating more convenient.
this is what im talking about. love it. I can see going through the dunkin drive through, ordering at the screen, and then just picking it up at the window. right now, it can be done on the phone but its not hands free. And as you travel on a road trip, every chain could be linked so no need to keep downloading apps, handing over cards, cash. just pull up, speak out what you want, and pick up

·
Registered
8,163 Posts
Smart windshields that block excessive light from aholes that keep their high beams or rear fog lights on.
If thats not possible I need a discreet small arms solution for removing rear fog lights while in motion.

·
Registered
Model 3P, 981 Boxster S
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know this already exists, but I don't understand why more makers don't include a button on the fob to close all windows and sunroof, or put up a convertible top.
I think its a US specific safety issue not being able to see if someone is gonna get trapped or pinched. EU boxsters have remote top up but US ones dont.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Not a new concept but V2V ( vehicle to vehicle communication) and smart cars/traffic lights. If a car was in an accident or emergency responder / tow truck on site. It would relay info from car to car that a hazard ( and what type) was coming up and distance away from it. Like Waze but automatically. Or when someone is coming to intersection and they are the only car coming to the light, light would turn green for you and then continue its normal cycle.

·
Registered
2018 VW Jetta SE 1.4T 5-speed manual
10,140 Posts
I know this already exists, but I don't understand why more makers don't include a button on the fob to close all windows and sunroof, or put up a convertible top.
No need for a separate button. On VWs and other European cars, holding the lock button will close the windows and sunroof. (Or, holding the key in the lock position in the door, back when they had key holes.) Likewise, holding the unlock button (or the key in the unlock position) will open the windows.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Integrated winch that doubles as a tie down/locking cable in pickup bed.

·
Registered
Model 3P, 981 Boxster S
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not a new concept but V2V ( vehicle to vehicle communication) and smart cars/traffic lights. If a car was in an accident or emergency responder / tow truck on site. It would relay info from car to car that a hazard ( and what type) was coming up and distance away from it. Like Waze but automatically. Or when someone is coming to intersection and they are the only car coming to the light, light would turn green for you and then continue its normal cycle.

Building on this, and I wonder why motorycle OEMs havent done this, V2V but for voice. Sometimes my wife and I will drive to the same place but in separate vehicles for some reason so we hop on a phone call together and just kind chit chat as if we were in the same car. This would be cool for a multi car solution. While some may say CB radio is it, its really not. Sounds like crap. How about a mesh wifi or bluetooth network and you'd have to be within 300 yards or something. The 5 cars going on a cruise together can be talking together but in the comfort of their own car. Would be so cool

And yes, some bluetooth headsets do this for bikes, but not the same as built into the car. Bluetooth Bike Headset & Communication | Sena

1 - 20 of 30 Posts