VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

What can you guys tell me about these cars? I absolutely LOVE the way they look. I've searched google, found a online parts supplier, but other than that, I've found nothing about them!
Oh, and more pics if you got them!

· Registered
3,222 Posts
Re: What can you tell me about the: OPEL GT? (GothingNC)

Quote, originally posted by GothingNC »
They love to rust

I used to call them "Mini-Corvettes"

We said "Baby-Vettes".
Dunno much about 'em. I think they used the same underpinnings as the Manta

I have seen one w/ a SBC swap that looked very cool (& veeerrrry scary)

· Registered
998 Posts
Re: What can you tell me about the: OPEL GT? (Spindle)

handle fairly well, under powered and as was mentioned they rust almost as fast as a british car. they smell rain in the same hemisphere and the paint begins to bubble.

· Registered
6,444 Posts
Re: What can you tell me about the: OPEL GT? (Snowdog)

Quote, originally posted by Snowdog »
Agent 86 drove one

(5th season of Get Smart, up till then he drove a sunbeam Tiger, and a Karman Ghia in the opening credits)

wow you are old, er wait a minute...I watched Get Smart in the early 70s, too....so that means... I.. am.....old, too....

I believe they were sold at Buick dealers in the US back...in...the...day......

· Registered
5,547 Posts
Re: What can you tell me about the: OPEL GT? (silver30v)

Quote, originally posted by silver30v »

wow you are old, er wait a minute...I watched Get Smart in the early 70s, too....so that means... I.. am.....old, too....

I believe they were sold at Buick dealers in the US back...in...the...day......

Season 1 (65-66) and Season 2 (66-67) car:

Season 3 (67-68) and Season 4 (68-69) car:

Season 5 (69-60) car:

I loved that show. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Yes, I'me really old too.

Modified by 4x4s at 1:56 PM 9-8-2005

· Registered
49,893 Posts
As was stated earlier, yes they rust - they're slow - the mechanicals are the same as an Opel Manta (and Kadett) and they were sold at Buick dealers. They were prone to breakage, both mechanically and electrically. Car and Driver did an article in 1968 (?) on the Kadett. They photographed it in a junkyard saying something like 'it'll be here soon anyway'. That should tell you something. The headlights were not electrically operated, they were mechanical. There was a lever that rotated them through linkage to make them pop-up. All Opels of the time were sold through the Buick dealerships, including the later-built Japanese ones. There are none of those left, although they were more reliable, they were less desireable. If you like the idea of a drivetrain swap and doing your own electricals, it could be fun. If you wanna buy and drive, keep looking.

· Registered
12,540 Posts
Re: What can you tell me about the: OPEL GT? (Air and water do mix)

Quote, originally posted by Air and water do mix »
...If you wanna buy and drive, keep looking.

So true. They were crappy little cars. Stylish, but crappy.
...The headlights were not electrically operated, they were mechanical. There was a lever that rotated them through linkage to make them pop-up...

A big lever, like an emergency brake lever. The headlights didn't pop-up, they rolled over, rotating 180 degrees from left to right. And when they got a little rust, dirt or corrosion on the linkage, you needed an arm like Hulk Hogan to haul up the lever.
An interesting car if you're a collector, but if not, it's best to steer away from this one.
--Chuck--

· Premium Member
27,617 Posts
Re: What can you tell me about the: OPEL GT? (cxg231)

Sexiest car ever built. Available with a 1.1l or later 1.9l motor. Light, slow, and silly to drive, a lot of fun.
My dream car. One day........... Don't you guys all go buying them all up. Leave one for me.

· Registered
4,714 Posts
Re: What can you tell me about the: OPEL GT? (Air and water do mix)

. The headlights were not electrically operated, they were mechanical. There was a lever that rotated them through linkage to make them pop-up.

That was my favorite part! They didn't even really "pop-up" - it was more like they "rolled over" http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
And I never knew anybody that owned just 1 - they always had 1 for driving & at least 1 for parts

Modified by fueledbymetal at 3:43 PM 9-8-2005

· Registered
971 Posts
Re: What can you tell me about the: OPEL GT? (atomicalex)

Quote, originally posted by atomicalex »
Sexiest car ever built. Available with a 1.1l or later 1.9l motor. Light, slow, and silly to drive, a lot of fun.
My dream car. One day........... Don't you guys all go buying them all up. Leave one for me.

I believe they were the spiritual predecessor to the Miata!
You get the same feel from an NA Miata with the hardtop fastened

· Registered
19,997 Posts
Saw one for sale early this year...gold, and great shape. I think I saw some rust bubbling out in some places, and it was night, so I'm sure I missed plenty.
It was $3000. I didn't know what it was, and thought it could be a vintage classic sports car at a great price.
I read up on them, found out basically what this thread has already revealed, and decided to never think of it again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.