VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 256 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As inspired by a recent thread about a car I imported from Europe for myself, here's a singular thread covering some of the vehicles that I, and/or my company Orchid Euro, have imported to the USA. Some of the vehicles are my own, some are customers, some are friends (or both, as I generally end up staying in contact with the owners, and one customer has since turned into one of my best friends).

One of my random TCL threads about a port visit: http://forums.thecarlounge.com/show...che-VW-3-0-TDI-Test-Fleet-from-Germany-56KLOL

Car Stuff Show podcast (via HowStuffWorks.com ) that discusses car importation and Orchid Euro : http://www.carstuffshow.com/podcasts/gray-market-cars/

Article in Popular Mechanic Magazine that I was interviewed for: http://www.popularmechanics.com/car...rt-cars-you-can-finally-buy-in-the-us#slide-1

Here's some basics or FAQs if you will;

• We only import and process vehicles that are 25+ years old from their build date. I could go on, but basically it's as simple as that.
  • It's pretty Euro centric, and particularly UK centric. You have been warned.
  • Everyone asks how much. I tell everyone to budget $2,800 for a running driving vehicle, which includes shipping from our UK location to our US location, fees, paperwork etc. Obviously transportation across countries, high values for taxes, repairs, whatever, will add to the costs but that's vehicle specific so $2,800.00 is just a guideline.
  • Please don't ask me to find you cars on here, or direct requests for business things. Please email [email protected] if that's needed.
  • All and any of the cars posted are likely not for sale, and are likely to be in the possession of their new owners. Please be respectful; I will likely not give specific details about the owners or prices.
  • I won't post anything that a customer hasn't okay'd with it being public. This is not a exhaustive list, just something fun and somewhere to post some TCL content in one place.

Some of the past vehicles:

1985 Volkswagen LT35 car transporter & 1989 Volkswagen Rallye Golf, both imported from the UK.

1989 Corrado Magnums, shooting break prototypes, imported from The Netherlands.

VWVortex Owner's build thread: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3074166-Proud-new-owner-of-the-2-rarest-Corrado-(Magnums

1988 BMW E30 325i Touring, imported from England

2 x 1988 Land Rover Defender 110 ex-MOD diesels, imported from Europe

1974 Volkswagen Rabbit 'Swallowtail', imported from Sweden via Germany/UK.

1989 Volkswagen Rallye Golf [number 2]

VWVortex owner's build thread: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6851838-A-Long-time-coming-my-1989-Rallye-Golf

Volkswagen DoKa Diesel, ex-German Military, imported from The Netherlands.

1988 Honda Accord Aerodeck, from the UK.

VW Polo 'Breadvan'

Mk2 Golf GTI, UK spec with BBS bodykit

Volkswagen Golf GTi Mk1, from the UK.

·
Registered
10,262 Posts
As a VW fan I want that Aerodeck very very badly. Also would you guys be able to source a set of S1 Scirocco Euro bumpers?

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As a VW fan I want that Aerodeck very very badly. Also would you guys be able to source a set of S1 Scirocco Euro bumpers?
I love LOVE LOVE the Aerodecks.

Good OEM S1 bumpers are getting so beyond difficult to find now. I'm quietly expecting VW to put them back into production at some point. Please do call or email with requests though :thumbup:

·
Registered
34,982 Posts
Ok, that's a TON of awesomeness in this thread.

Now, they only ever made 2 of those Corrado shooting brake conversions correct?

Someday, when my new career is going well, you guys are going to have to import a Mk3 Capri for me. ;)

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, that's a TON of awesomeness in this thread.

Now, they only ever made 2 of those Corrado shooting brake conversions correct?

Someday, when my new career is going well, you guys are going to have to import a Mk3 Capri for me. ;)
Thank you :)

Yes, they made only two, in very slightly different specifications. I have spent a decent amount of time up close with the cars so got to explore them pretty well. They were sold by the manufacturer who were contracted by VAG to build them, many years after the project was abandoned. They were sold on the open market in Germany, where they were available for quite a while before a Corrado collector in Long Island bought them. He tried unsuccessfully to import them for several years before contacting us. It was really fun to be able to help with them, where my VW nerd background really helped.

Having grown up in England, I love Capri's. We imported a widebody kit for a friend/customer in California with one a couple of years back.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Speaking of California, are these imported vehicles road legal (and smog legal) for CA public roads? Do you help customers in CA with DMV registration process?

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Keep up the great work! Let me know if you ever need any translations from Dutch to English, I'm Dutch native :beer:

·
Registered
80 Caddy, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
24,967 Posts
Neat stuff.

What is the process beyond the importation. If you are living in the US and want a certain vehicle, do you find and purchase your car via phone/online with the seller and then contact you folks to pick it up from the seller? Are there limitations on where you will go to pick up a vehicle?

Just curious. I have always fancied having a Golf Country and $2800 is a lot more reasonable than I would have anticipated (yes I know that is a ballpark, but still).

·
Registered
12,859 Posts
Wow, that Corrado is really amazing! I've never seen one before. What's the average cost of importing a vehicle into the US? :thumbup:
Seriously?

[*]Everyone asks how much. I tell everyone to budget $2,800 for a running driving vehicle, which includes shipping from our UK location to our US location, fees, paperwork etc. Obviously transportation across countries, high values for taxes, repairs, whatever, will add to the costs but that's vehicle specific so $2,800.00 is just a guideline.
[*]Please don't ask me to find you cars on here, or direct requests for business things. Please email [email protected] if that's needed.

Good to see another importing option. A successful one too at that. I might be hitting you up at some point. I have been looking and contemplating something from Aus but getting a LHD out of continental Europe is a better option, especially seeing how you have gotten things from there lately. :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Good to see another importing option. A successful one too at that. I might be hitting you up at some point. I have been looking and contemplating something from Aus but getting a LHD out of continental Europe is a better option, especially seeing how you have gotten things from there lately. :thumbup::thumbup:
Gotta agree on going for a Euro-LHD something or other. Can't see putting up with RHD for very long and enjoying it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
12,859 Posts
Gotta agree on going for a Euro-LHD something or other. Can't see putting up with RHD for very long and enjoying it. :thumbup:
RHD does not take very long to get used to, to be honest. Having LHD just makes life a little bit easier. Being able to source vehicles from the continent just makes things SO much easier. There are plenty of people willing to offer services for bringing in cars from England, due to no language barrier. Not many willing to help reach out to non English speaking countries.

·
Registered
6,547 Posts
Yeah, like Chinese Rotas. :wave:
Technically it's "Taiwanese Mini-lites." (hehe I have the same set ;) )

That shooting brake Corrado!!! So much envy, it's painful. :thumbup::thumbup:

1 - 20 of 256 Posts