VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something is seriously wrong with my car....
i have a 2003 GTI 1.8T i put a ko4 turbo with apr software
apr downpipe supersprint exhaust. Greddy type s diverter valve
EIP front mount intercooler,
i talked with APR and they told me i should have "around" 220 at the wheels???

i went up to yarrows last Saturday to dyno
i ran 3 runs and the best i did was 180whp something is seriously wrong i was putting out around 20-22 pounds of boost
any ideas?? Apr has no clue what it is now i have to send my ECU back out to them so they can scan it!!!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Re: What could be wrong??? 180whp-220whp anyone (Massvedub18t)

what program were you running at the time of the dyno?? Sounds like maybe you were in stock mode??

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: What could be wrong??? 180whp-220whp anyone (Wolf1.8)

i was in 93 octane mode at like 20 psi
the stock mode is only like 12 psi
i have no clue

·
Registered
454 Posts

Unless you have something restricting your exhaust like a broken cat & your vehicle appears to be working properly, you should assume those numbers to be accurate.
However, different dynos measure differently. Your results may be higher if you went to a different type. What type of Dyno does yarrow have? If it is not Dyno-Jet, I would recommend http://www.nedyno.com in Worcester for your next run. Dyno-Jets are considered the industry standard, and a lot of published whp numbers are based on these units.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: What could be wrong??? 180whp-220whp anyone (mans442)

no offense but those numbers sound about right. Ps your car is not technically the same as another car of theirs so the numbers realisticly and you have to account that they may have dynoed on a non load bearing dynomometer, the Unit that yarrow has is a load bearing type and very very accurate. As opposed to a roller style dynojet which is known to read higher in many instances

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Re: What could be wrong??? 180whp-220whp anyone (devin mac)

Quote, originally posted by devin mac »
no offense but those numbers sound about right. Ps your car is not technically the same as another car of theirs so the numbers realisticly and you have to account that they may have dynoed on a non load bearing dynomometer, the Unit that yarrow has is a load bearing type and very very accurate. As opposed to a roller style dynojet which is known to read higher in many instances

Couldn't of said it better. Everyone that dynos on those gets pissed because the truth hurts

·
Registered
141 Posts

Hey dude I was there, Do you remember how hot it was that day. That could bring those hp numbers down. next time just shoot that intercooler with some freon http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
20,448 Posts
Re: What could be wrong??? 180whp-220whp anyone (Euroguy73)

yarrow has a load bearing dyno if i recall. not many use that, other than the AWD. i bet apr is going by a mustang dyno. not be mad, just get the correct conversion and use it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: What could be wrong??? 180whp-220whp anyone (rossovr6)

im just goin with what APR and Yarrow told me
i dont know what its supposed to be
ill try a different dyno ill go to KTR ill post back when i get the results anymore comments

·
Registered
444 Posts
Re: What could be wrong??? 180whp-220whp anyone (VW1990CORRADO)

Just my 2 cents, but from what I have seen (with awd Audi's) KTR's dyno has consistently underrated the output of cars. This is not to say that it is inaccurate, but that if you compare your output to the output of cars on other dynos you may be disappointed with the results. This shouldn't be a problem because KTR should have a pretty large history of Audi and VW dyno graphs for you to look at so all you would have to do is find someone with a similar setup as yours (KO4+APR, which is a fairly common setup). Just my thoughts, and by the way, 220 hp to the wheels sounds pretty strong, without doing any math that sounds like around 260 hp at the crank. KO4's are strong little turbos but they aren't gonna produce much more power than that.

·
Registered
92 Posts

Too bad you didn't dyno it stock before the mods were done .. on the same dyno .. I'm assuming you didn't. Then you'd have a number that reflected the increase in RWHP that was relative. In my mind a better indicator.

·
Registered
10,449 Posts

it does sound a bit low, stock 2003 1.8t's are dynoing 160whp pretty easily so 20whp from a chip and turbo upgrade??? sounds low! I'd expect 40whp (aka ~ 50hp at the crank increase with 20% drive loss) yea what was air temps alltitude?? that could have

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
Re: What could be wrong??? 180whp-220whp anyone (protijy337)

what does yarrow charge to dyno? just wondering

·
Registered
20,448 Posts
Re: What could be wrong??? 180whp-220whp anyone (MK3)

do you guys read lol. its a load bearing dyno. its REAL STREET NUMBERS. the mustang and dynojet whatevers are a higher number. not all dynos are =. my apple taste like this, but aprs orange taste different....you mk4 owners understand yet?

·
Registered
7,865 Posts

Quote, originally posted by VW1990CORRADO »
do you guys read lol. its a load bearing dyno. its REAL STREET NUMBERS. the mustang and dynojet whatevers are a higher number. not all dynos are =. my apple taste like this, but aprs orange taste different....you mk4 owners understand yet?

Like I said earlier. "Everyone that dynos on those gets pissed because the truth hurts."
I understand Ricky.

·
Registered
35,212 Posts

Quote, originally posted by VW1990CORRADO »

What was funny, is I was going to get on the dyno at yarrows one day. When we were talking about some issues/problems he was having, he mentioned that people have gotten upset because the numbers are not as HIGH as they *WANTED/EXPECTED* Since his is a load bearing dyno, it is very very acurate. So take those numbers and live with them. If you want to get *HIGH* numbers run a MUSTANG dyno!!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: What could be wrong??? 180whp-220whp anyone (CapeGLS)

Well im not very sure what i am supposed to have thats what their telling me...even Yarrow thinks i should be getting more...i think he is going to be an APR Dealer now hey went down there early last week
and even APR doesnt know whats up??? i went to Yarrows when it was any car for $60 i dont know if he will do it again??? http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
454 Posts

It doesn't matter as much to what dyno you use, as long as you stick with the same one for all your tuning performance verification. Since you didn't document your performance before the mods, you will have to rely on data from a mostly stock GTI 1.8T on a load bearing dyno from another person. If you look on KTR's website, there is a 337 dyno graph (assuming mostly stock) pushing about 137 whp IIRC. Assume that is your baseline, which nets you a gain of over 40whp to the wheels.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts