VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something is seriously wrong with my car....
i have a 2003 GTI 1.8T i put a ko4 turbo with apr software
apr downpipe supersprint exhaust. Greddy type s diverter valve
EIP front mount intercooler,
i talked with APR and they told me i should have "around" 220 at the wheels???
i went up to yarrows last Saturday to dyno
i ran 3 runs and the best i did was 180whp something is seriously wrong i was putting out around 20-22 pounds of boost
any ideas?? Apr has no clue what it is now i have to send my ECU back out to them so they can scan it!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Banned
12,870 Posts
Re: What could be wrong???? 180whp-220whp????? (Massvedub18t)

No, those mods should put down 220 to the wheels with torque in excess of 270. What type of dyno? What gas? What gear? What weather conditions?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: What could be wrong???? 180whp-220whp????? (VDUBNDizzy)

i was using 93 octane, hot day, on a 4 wheel drive dyno from austrailia
forgot the name?? i was trying t see either 3rd or 5th i wasnt really paying attention i was watching the computer...
yeah it say 245 bhp with just a turbo back exhaust

talk to me!!!

Modified by Massvedub18t at 6:47 AM 5-22-2004

·
Registered
4,238 Posts

do you think its the fuel grade and or detonation pull back? or is it the greddy valve. is it the blow off type . can that make it run off normal specs liek running too rich and or throw codes to compensate for the change?? sounds like you gotta a smoking set up though. try and post some vids if you can. wish i could do it if i had the cash!!!!!!! the grade of fuel may be the most simple thing that can be overlooked and the back to back runs in high ambient temperatures is my guess if all was done right when it was installed

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Re: What could be wrong???? 180whp-220whp????? (pest)

also was the dyno used have a different percentage of drag to simulate the real world. some have a higher drag and if not looked at properly by the operator from wherever it could be off. say liek 15 to 20 percent for the drag canmake yoru car look alot less powerful thanit really is. try another dyno say 2 wheel specific ??? dunno throwing around some questions to se if soemthing was overlooked. was the apr software for 98 or 100 octane ??

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: What could be wrong???? 180whp-220whp????? (pest)

you can use the Stock, 91, 93, 100 octane...it was on 93 when i ran it... i dont think its the diverter valve its not leaking and its running properly plus the boost guage is after the diverter valve and im getting 20-22 pounds...do you guys think it could be my waste gate sticking...or the chip wasnt programmed properly????

·
Banned
12,870 Posts

You say 20-22 psi. Is that the spike? What doe it hold? What's it at at 6k rpms? Even on pump, with the FMIC, you shouldn't be pulling timing on a hot day. I just bumped timing on an APR chipped car with an FMIC the other day when it was in the high 80's out. I added 2.25 degrees timing and it still wasn't retarding timing at all. I'm voting on it being the type of dyno. Like said, the drivetrain loss factor the dyno could have thrown your results way off.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts

imo dynos vary waaaay to much. take it to the track. see what your trap speeds are, and prove that dyno wrong.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: What could be wrong???? 180whp-220whp????? (igotaprestent4u)

the boost holds at about 19psi...where are there any tracks around mass???
should i try another dyno??

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: What could be wrong???? 180whp-220whp????? (yellowhummer10)

you can still use a 4 wheels dyno the back wheels dont spin...it was also about 95 degrees in yarrows shop!!!!
plus hooters was awsome on the way home!!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by Massvedub18t at 4:20 AM 5-23-2004

·
Registered
677 Posts
Re: What could be wrong???? 180whp-220whp????? (Dogdude222)

220 at the wheels is probably unrealistic for a K04 running 22 lbs of boost. I'd be interested to see what your boost logs look like, but I'd imagine that you arnt holding but 15.5 or so past 4500k. Please post your dynos as well.
I'm running 28lbs with the k04, and my max power was ~278 chp (217awhp)/ 352ctq (274.6 awtq) . I'm running 19 degrees of timing on FMIC specific GIAC software.
The apr software is mild in comparison to my software. I know your transverse power plants tend to make a tad more power, but you need a bunch of other supplimental mods to get you to the 220 at the wheels level. Use v-tune to bump up the boost and timing b/c you have a fmic.
What drive train correction factor is generally accepted for your FWD application?

Modified by mmart6545 at 8:42 PM 5-23-2004

·
Banned
12,870 Posts
Re: What could be wrong???? 180whp-220whp????? (mmart6545)

Quote, originally posted by mmart6545 »
220 at the wheels is probably unrealistic for a K04 running 22 lbs of boost.

It's perfectly realistic for a K03S with FMIC and turbo back to make those numbers. Why not a K04?

·
Registered
4,739 Posts

You said it was from Australia. Was it a Dyno Dynamics dyno? They are very good, but read extremely low, and don't give you inflated numbers like a Dynojet does, which is probably what APR posts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts