VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there was anything I could do to boost horsepower/torque with the stock engine in an 84 rabbit. Please, I need suggestions.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Re: What could I do to boost Horsepower in a Stock 1.8l 8v?!? (VWGTIRCR)

The first thing you need to do is ditch your single outlet maniflod for an earlier dual outlet one. This is the best thing you could do. Get a good 2" exhaust from tttuning.com and one of their good downpipes. A good air filter helps- amsoil is best but K&n is good too and open up your airbox for mor flow- ducting more cold air in is even better. A g-grind cam is good for a internally stock motor and isn't too hard to put in- definitely helps it rev out more without compromising low end torque. A bigger throttle body can be had from any A2 at the junkyrd and your manifold opening has to be opened to fit the new TB but the gains arent really even noticeable- at least not on my car. Do the Throttle body last. I have these mods done to my car and they are probably the first mods everyone does to their cars and will make a stock GTI very fun to drive.
read everything you can about A!'s on this page and you wont have to ask so many questions here, some of us get tired of answering question like this:
http://www.nwlink.com/~vdb/cars.html
HTH, Daniel

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Re: What could I do to boost Horsepower in a Stock 1.8l 8v?!? (VWGTIRCR)

Spend a lot of money...............
You could do it the cheap way.........
I'd do it in this order.
1. Make sure everthing engine wise is working properly(tune up)
2. Exhaust, the exhaust manifold on that particular rabbit is BAD. You coul use a dual outlet manifold( durable,harder to install) or you could go with header ( A little cheaper some say less durable but it's , in my opinion easier to install) While your at it check the Catylytic converter to see if it's plugged. Between the Manifold and the Cat there should be quite a difference.
3. K&N drop in filter ( no, there is no "cold air intake").
4. Larger throttle body and/or cam. Those two go work well together.
5. Reduce weight. Some say that this one would come first. I agree
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv The line of cheapness vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is where you start to spend more time/money
6. Raise compression by shaving the cylyinder head ( I wouldn't do it keep reading to find out why) I recomend adding a knock sensor ignition.
7. Larger displacement motor. 2l motor is nice there are kits that go as high as 2.2l.
8. Forced induction, stock GTI's are 8.5:1 compression ratio which is good for forced induction.
There are a lot more things that can be done to boost power in a stock 1.8l 8v these are just a few. I say before you start make sure the car runs the way it's supposed too and carry tools with you whenever you leave the house.
Oh yeah, we have a FAQ now so use that that a prett common question.
GLHF

1 - 3 of 3 Posts