VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my car yesterday after work (I live in the midwest so it has been VERY cold lately) and found it to be running kinda rough. I put my car in reverse to back out and my car started shuddering horribly and revving high and low very quickly. I gave it a second or two more (giving it some gas) and it dropped to the normal idling speed of 750-800 rpms. I thought, hmmm that was weird and moved on worrying about the dreaded coilpack thing. I went out later in the evening and the car was idling rough again at first (not as bad as earlier) but calmed down after a few moments so I drove on. While cruising along at about 120 km (75 mph) and I got a sudden surge of power. This morning I expected my car to be acting up when I started it cold but the engine was running perfectly so I went to work. My car started fine again after work but on my way home my MIL light came on (constant - not flashing) while I was stuck in a traffic jam. I sat for a little while to get out of traffic and drove about 20 miles to my dealer where it now sits until they can look at it tomorrow. Any ideas what this could possibly be? I heard that the coilpack issue would render the car undriveable but my car was fine during driving on the way to the dealer with the MIL light on. I was very gentle and kept rpm's below 3000 so I don't know if I could have really lost power or not. Any help with this would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Re: What could this be??? (dvarsava)

Just an FYI - When that MIL light comes on, often refered to as a CEL around the Vortex, the cars seem to run really good, unless that light is blinking http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif . My cars in the past have run very smooth with the light on, albeit without any real power, because when the light comes on the car can go into a "limp" mode. The limp mode is an effort by the cars electronics to resort to known good factory values, call them "defaults", and keeps those values within certain parameters. Sounds to me like something in the emissions part of the car is wrong with yours, but it could be a lot of things. Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts