VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished working on my Audi and I decided to watch a little Speedvision. There a is a race on that channel that I love to watch. It was not the American Lemans series or the one with Derek Bell racing in the Audi A4. I think it's the same race that Derek Bell is in but a lower class. Anyway I'm watching the race and Lord and behold, if the car in the lead is a...freakin' Mazda Protege'(sp)!!!
Coming up the hill at Leguna, the announcer goes "This is where the Madza shows it's power." What power is he talking about!!?? Mazda's suck. The other cars to follow were Acura and Honda. A 1.6 Honda at that. BMW was like in 4th or 5th place. And VW?? They was like in 13th place. The announcer said this VW team did an excellent job since they were not factory sponsered. The other factory backed VW's were way down the list.
What da' hell is going on? I'm going on Speedvision to investigate this travesty. I was so pissed I went out on 295N kicked some Mazda butt in my 323!!
But inside I'm hurting.
VW's can't keep sucking like this.

·
Registered
21,846 Posts
Re: What 'Da Hwll is Going On??!! (cis8vgti)

dude, relax. Isn't a 323 made by Mazda? . . heh seriously the 323 GTX . . one sweet car, 4wd, 16valve, Turbo . . . I'd take one over a GTi ANYDAY. Too bad they're as rare as a 17 year old with un-bruised knees

Just cause VW doesnt finish first in a race doesnt mean they suck.
Ford win plenty of NASCAR races . . . doesnt mean their cars are any good.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: What 'Da Hwll is Going On??!! (Big Dac With Fries)

That's true, but VW's have not finished in the top 10 in a couple of years. Therefore, some people would say VW's suck. I wonder what type of engines they are running at these races. I see mkIII and MKIV bodies. I think they are running 16v's??

I doubt if reliablity is an issue. They have to go faster. And improve the car's mechanical grip. What ever that is.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts

Protege...ever heard of MazdaSpeed? Protege is one of the da best handling car for da money. Mazda suck? Heard of Rx8? Miata? Mazda is coming out with da mazdaspeed protege mp3 with callaway turbo, limited slipped diff, etc...so watch out.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Re: What 'Da Hwll is Going On??!! (87GolfKart)

quote:[HR][/HR]Protege...ever heard of MazdaSpeed? Protege is one of the da best handling car for da money. Mazda suck? Heard of Rx8? Miata? Mazda is coming out with da mazdaspeed protege mp3 with callaway turbo, limited slipped diff, etc...so watch out. [HR][/HR]​
Ditto. I'll let my friend so you how much Mazdas suck, with all 15psi of boost behind a 1900lbs Miata....

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: What 'Da Hwll is Going On??!! (87GolfKart)

Yeah, I heard of Mazdaspeed. Never heard of the RX8. Miata's are coffins on wheels and they suck. I will never buy a Mazda. I never thought their small cars could generated that type of speed.

Can someone give me some insight on the VW cars that are racing on tv. I can't find any information. No turbo's are allowed in the cars so I'm dying to find out what's going on.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts

I'll disregrad the crap your talking about mazdas because you obvioously don't know what your talking about, and answer your quesion. As far as I know, there 16v's. At least I know I've seen the MK4 Jetta with a 16v in it. I don't get Speedvision anymore (stupid Att
) so that might have changed.

[Modified by saved_GLX, 7:43 PM 8-6-2002]

·
Registered
2006 P+ A4 3.2 Avant, 2011 C'Dale Bad Boy, 2014 C'Dale Carbon Synapse, 2019 P+ Q5
41,531 Posts

one of those sucky Mazdas already won an event this year
\edit\ make that two races
There are NO factory sponsored/aided VWs running in the Speed Touring Car series. There are 3 (but only 1 that runs) MK4 Jettas with 16v motors run by Metro VW out of TX. see http://www.hagestadracing.com, and there's a MKIII run by an independent team.

btw- go easy on other cars that you don't seem to know much about. You'd be real surprised what cars really race

[Modified by 16v, 10:52 PM 8-6-2002]

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: What 'Da Hwll is Going On??!! (saved_GLX)

Honestly, I'm not a Mazda fan. I don't like those cars. I have friends that have Mazda's with crazy rotary engines. One guy has a rotary engine in his Suzuki truck and it's fast. Still, I don't like them and I still say they suck. My opinion.
I've owned a 94 Honda Prelude and this car was the best car I ever owned, period. Will I buy another Honda? No, the bar has been risen. Will I buy another BMW? I doubt it. Piece of SH*T is aways in the shop. Going for 430CLK next time ( I admit this car is slow)
But I'm glad to hear the information you guys provided me with. Sounds like VW needs a better 4 cylinder engine. The 1.8t is a DOHC 16V with a turbo right? There is alot of competition these days. It seems like even the so so cars have 150 to 200HP. And Nissan, it seems like all of their cars have 225hp or more. I don't think the 180 or 190HP 337 GTI is enough. More power is needed from the factory.
Again, just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts

AS much as I dislike Mazda's I wouldn't say they suck....What's really gonna suck is when the 2.0 16V turbo engine comes out....that's gonna suck when they start upgrading and you start seeing mazda's woopin some ass....Oh the humanity..then the dodge neon 2.0T...good lord it's gonna be one interesting car world when every company starts making factory turbo cars

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: What 'Da Hwll is Going On??!! (scarywoody)

Hahahah. It's funny because there is a Dodge Neon in Philly. A yellow one that screams like hell. Not sure if the guy has Mopar or what ever the parts called. His car is sick. I would not challenge this guys car on the street. They guys that work on my A2 in my neighborhood has turbo charged Desols and Civics. And an Acura that sounds like a diesel truck.
So I'm well aware as to what is on the street. And your right, Mazda's are ok I guess. I wouldn't buy one, but I guess they are ok. But VW needs a stronger non forced induced engine. 134HP as your best normally aspirated 4 banger or 176 hp for a six cylider is not going to cut it these days.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: What 'Da Hwll is Going On??!! (Euro Dude)

Cool. I will check it out. I just want VW to be more competitive. In the top 5 would be nice. I guess they need more time. Plus i learned that the VW team are not factory backed. So they do not have the budget of other teams. And I understand that 16v's can be built up to 200+ hp woth cards and stuff, but in a MK III or IV body it does not seem fair when they are up against Integra's, Civic's and Protege's.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Sorry for the typo's. I meants carbs and stuff. And none of the VW teams are factory backs. Sorry.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts