VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

3421 - 3440 of 3501 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
no lift but front is about 1/4 inch higher due to MSS springs/suspension changes. It's actually a Forge lift kit in the front, but with MSS adjustable springs and bilstein B4 struts. The result is about 1/4" higher in the front. Rear is stock with bilstein B6 shocks and a 25.4mm RSB. The tires are a tad bigger than stock (225/55R17) - totally recommend the BFG Advantage T/A tire for a decent road tire that also works well on dirt. Exhaust is AWE touring- a little expensive, but i like quality and sound! I think it's hard to make these 4-cyl motors sound good... Overall most of the mods have made it worse off road (except for the tires), but so much better handling on the road!
Thanks for the reply, the Bilstein B6 seem to be the go-to replacement shocks...though I have heard they make a "HD" version for the MkVII. I'll look into the AWE exhaust, thanks again!

·
Registered
316 Posts
What assurance do you have that the Supplemental Restraint System (aka airbag) will work as intended? Clearly, in this case, the airbag has a different part number.

Has anyone on this forum been in the unfortunate situation of having one of these retrofits deploy?
So only the cover is a different shape?
It’s a direct swap of the airbag module, as was said they are all the same shape. The wiring harness is the same part number as far as my research showed and the GTI wheel I acquired sans airbag actually came with a wiring harness included which was identical to the one on the back of the airbag I removed from the Alltrack. When I plugged everything up there was no dash lights or anything, and it passed a VCDS scan for any codes, so I have to assume it’s all good and it’s just the horn cover that is different.

The thought definitely crossed my mind that this might not be the best idea and that I should try to get an actual legit GTI airbag cover not an AliExpress one, but I’m not sure it’s even possible to get that part separately.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks for the reply, the Bilstein B6 seem to be the go-to replacement shocks...though I have heard they make a "HD" version for the MkVII. I'll look into the AWE exhaust, thanks again!
Ive heard about an Alltrack-specific B4 damper That’s lengthened and ideally suited for stock springs. But I couldn’t find anything about it on their website so maybe it’s a conversation with a rep or something.

·
Internet Lighting Police
9,371 Posts
It’s a direct swap of the airbag module, as was said they are all the same shape. The wiring harness is the same part number as far as my research showed and the GTI wheel I acquired sans airbag actually came with a wiring harness included which was identical to the one on the back of the airbag I removed from the Alltrack. When I plugged everything up there was no dash lights or anything, and it passed a VCDS scan for any codes, so I have to assume it’s all good and it’s just the horn cover that is different.

The thought definitely crossed my mind that this might not be the best idea and that I should try to get an actual legit GTI airbag cover not an AliExpress one, but I’m not sure it’s even possible to get that part separately.
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Yes, I agree that aliexpress should be avoided, but sometimes there is little choice.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ordered mud flaps, new hatch emblem x 2 (cheap at dealership) and new air intake duck. Also painted the original emblem to see what I might do in the end. Just used plastidip as a test. Will use real paint and in gloss for final product.

·
Registered
104 Posts
View attachment 60020

Returned 4 rows of Corning R-38 to Lowes after laying 21 rows on our attic floor, let there be heat! Love the wagon! IS 20 + Bilstein B6 are calling me, lol
you and me both bud. I’ve got B6’s and an IS20 in the basement - just waiting to get my car back from the dealer for pano work (8 weeks and counting) to install the dampers, and for my warranty to expire for the IS20 (currently on APR Plus)

·
Registered
2019 Golf Alltrack SEL (affectionately named Georgie)
34 Posts
Sorry for the poor phone quality. Waiting for an upgrade there haha. But named her Georgie and got the windows tinted this week. Fogs and flaps should arrive before the trip through Oregon and California next weekend. Took a nice drive up to Big Bear and down to Joshua Tree last night and got a nice feel for it. Definitely would like to drop it and add better front and rear sway bars.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sorry for the poor phone quality. Waiting for an upgrade there haha. But named her Georgie and got the windows tinted this week. Fogs and flaps should arrive before the trip through Oregon and California next weekend. Took a nice drive up to Big Bear and down to Joshua Tree last night and got a nice feel for it. Definitely would like to drop it and add better front and rear sway bars.
View attachment 60046 View attachment 60047
no need for front sway bar unless you’re turning your car into a serious track monster. Otherwise, the rear is all the needs tightening

·
Registered
34 Posts
no need for front sway bar unless you’re turning your car into a serious track monster. Otherwise, the rear is all the needs tightening
That’s true. It’s my first car and I was thinking to make it a purpose built road/light gravel car. RSW is what I’ve heard most. I love this things so far. Eventually I might go all out and do a 2.0 build with an IS38. But for now, I like it exactly as it and want it to grow with me.

A couple questions.
1. how concerned should I be about the carbon buildup issues?
2. For those of you who have done coil overs or lowering springs, did you find it to be too stiff/ firm on daily driving situations? I’ll be living and commuting in Los Angeles.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That’s true. It’s my first car and I was thinking to make it a purpose built road/light gravel car. RSW is what I’ve heard most. I love this things so far. Eventually I might go all out and do a 2.0 build with an IS38. But for now, I like it exactly as it and want it to grow with me.

A couple questions.
2. For those of you who have done coil overs or lowering springs, did you find it to be too stiff/ firm on daily driving situations? I’ll be living and commuting in Los Angeles.
I recently did Solo Werks S1 coilovers and they stiffened things up quite a bit. I don't mind it fromt the harshness side personally and much prefer a stiffer-than-stock ride, but I think the much more pronounced bumps may annoy some.

·
Registered
104 Posts

A couple questions.
if all you plan on doing for power is going IS38 there is zero Value in a 2.0 swap. A 2.0 swap would only be “worth it” if you were going Big/Hybrid Turbo. Stock block is totally safe to 400TQ, which is more than you can achieve with an FBO IS38 setup on a 1.8.

concerns:
1. Carbon Buildup.
Don’t be concerned. Carbon buildup is literally unavoidable (it is a necessary evil with DI engines). This is a particularly rife topic with misinformation and general conflation. People often think that MK7’s have carbon buildup issues because Mk6’s did. The MK7’s EA888 Gen 3 power plant (which all 3 of the 1.8 and 2.0 GTI + R motors share for a platform) quite effectively addresses nearly, if not every single design flaw from the MK6’s Gen 2 TSIs.

MK6’s needed carbon cleanings every 30-60K miles, 60K being the upper limit. And if you waited till 60K and dyno’d your car before and after the cleaning you’d pick up 10-20% more power (160-170WHP before cleaning, 190-205 after).

I got my last GTI (a MK7) dyno’d before and after a carbon cleaning at 75K miles and picked up 8WHP. Was at 285 before the cleaning and 293 after, normalized across 3 pulls (3 before, 3 after). The guys in the shop said themselves I could’ve waited till 100, 120K miles before doing the cleaning. I will be waiting till 100K on my current Alltrack.

2. I can’t add much value as I’ve. Ever upgraded a suspension on any of my cars before, however I have Bilstein B6’s + OEM Golf R springs im throwing on my Alltrack next week. Keep your eyes peeled for my impressions, they may help you figure out what you want with your setup.

·
Registered
34 Posts
if all you plan on doing for power is going IS38 there is zero Value in a 2.0 swap. A 2.0 swap would only be “worth it” if you were going Big/Hybrid Turbo. Stock block is totally safe to 400TQ, which is more than you can achieve with an FBO IS38 setup on a 1.8.

concerns:
1. Carbon Buildup.
Don’t be concerned. Carbon buildup is literally unavoidable (it is a necessary evil with DI engines). This is a particularly rife topic with misinformation and general conflation. People often think that MK7’s have carbon buildup issues because Mk6’s did. The MK7’s EA888 Gen 3 power plant (which all 3 of the 1.8 and 2.0 GTI + R motors share for a platform) quite effectively addresses nearly, if not every single design flaw from the MK6’s Gen 2 TSIs.

MK6’s needed carbon cleanings every 30-60K miles, 60K being the upper limit. And if you waited till 60K and dyno’d your car before and after the cleaning you’d pick up 10-20% more power (160-170WHP before cleaning, 190-205 after).

I got my last GTI (a MK7) dyno’d before and after a carbon cleaning at 75K miles and picked up 8WHP. Was at 285 before the cleaning and 293 after, normalized across 3 pulls (3 before, 3 after). The guys in the shop said themselves I could’ve waited till 100, 120K miles before doing the cleaning. I will be waiting till 100K on my current Alltrack.

2. I can’t add much value as I’ve. Ever upgraded a suspension on any of my cars before, however I have Bilstein B6’s + OEM Golf R springs im throwing on my Alltrack next week. Keep your eyes peeled for my impressions, they may help you figure out what you want with your setup.
Thank you for the insight and the super detailed response! I appreciate the information and suggestions!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I recently did Solo Werks S1 coilovers and they stiffened things up quite a bit. I don't mind it fromt the harshness side personally and much prefer a stiffer-than-stock ride, but I think the much more pronounced bumps may annoy some.
Wondering if anyone has driven S-werks vs. B6, which one is stiffer? It is a personal choice, but I probably will lean on the softer set up as I don't want to get an alignment everytime I get over a bump or have a reminder of how many kidney stones left in me, lol.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wondering if anyone has driven S-werks vs. B6, which one is stiffer? It is a personal choice, but I probably will lean on the softer set up as I don't want to get an alignment everytime I get over a bump or have a reminder of how many kidney stones left in me, lol.
Cant speak to the differences between solowerks and B6, but generally a damper + spring setup is gonna be smoother than a coilover setup. Coils, even the ones for “street use,” are ultimately designed for the track. Dampers and Springs are designed for the road.

·
Registered
104 Posts
if you want Coils that don’t remind you of your kidney stones, I would look at KW Street Comforts and/or EQT’s new Balanced-Line coils. Everyone loves em.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have limited experience but the st coilovers I am running are adjustable (the xa are height and dampening adjustable) and when I run them at a reasonable height feel soft enough for street use. I believe they are made by kw.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have Bilstein B14s and a 22mm RSB on mine. The C/Os are set at approximately stock Golf R height or slightly lower (in other words not super slammed). The car rides a bit stiffer than stock, but it is not uncomfortable at all (and I live in Ohio, which has plenty of bad roads). IMO a quality set of coilovers will typically ride as well as or better than a separate spring and shock combination since the springs and shocks on the C/O are matched to each other. Note that like everything else, however, you get what you pay for. With that said, my (entry-level non-adjustable) Bilsteins cost a little over $900, so they are not much more expensive than a spring/shock combo. For me the ability to set the ride height exactly where I want it was worth the extra price of admission.

·
Registered
‘04 Porsche C4S, ‘19 Golf Alltrack 6-MT
1 Posts
View attachment 60046 View attachment 60047
I got the same color and wheels in August. 6 spd SE. Had to go to Denver from FL to find it. Drove it to Pikes Peak and around the Springs for a few days before heading across the Middle of the country. Love it!

I had a 328 wagon but computers started failing and it was time to go...

This is a great forum—glad I found it. My daughte‘s roommate has an Alltrack with DGS and is starting to mod it.

TC

3421 - 3440 of 3501 Posts