VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

3461 - 3480 of 3502 Posts

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Hit a year of ownership and got an APR Stage 1 91 octane tune :)
Exploring options for intake. Thinking of just going with a new inlet, hose, and high flow filter in the stock box.
That's what I've done. The other intakes on the market are mostly just noisemakers for the power levels that most people are putting out. I also did the intake block off plate, it closes the section of the intake behind the grille that just let air pass back to the engine bay.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Picked it up from the dealer yesterday after 8 weeks for panoleak. I dropped my RSE-10’s wrapped in 235/40 AS4’s off Tbursday so they could put the wheels on for me before I scooped the car.

Interesting takeaway:

When I upgraded my rear sway bar on otherwise stock wheel + suspension, it made a massive difference. Thought I’d actually be able to ride out the factory suspension, where I previously felt it was simply insufficient and required upgrading.

With the As4’s on, the tires communicate the squirreliness of the stock suspension too well. The added grip and communication to the wheel made the stock suspension’s underdampedness SHINE, front and center, where the stock tires’ soft sidewalls numbed the feedback.

Good thing I have Golf R springs + B6’s ready for install come tax return/bonus time. Just waiting till then to pay for the install labor.

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
That's what I've done. The other intakes on the market are mostly just noisemakers for the power levels that most people are putting out. I also did the intake block off plate, it closes the section of the intake behind the grille that just let air pass back to the engine bay.
Yeah that's what it seems. I've been referencing these tests and it seems like, for the money, this is the best option.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I suspect that's there to cool something. Perhaps the oil filter. Just open the box in front of the filter, pull the snow guard and drop in a high flow filter. I've never seen input air temp change due to blocking off the back.

·
Registered
126 Posts
That looks like it feels really nice and smooth in the hand.
It does indeed. I’m super happy with the feel. Yes, cold as a witch’s teet in the upstate NY mornings... but just like when I had a billet knob in AZ, there’s a pretty comfy way to grip around it when it’s a little uncomfortable. Overall, I give it a 9/10. Would be a perfect score but it looks like it scratches pretty easily.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Finally was able to install my CTS Turbo Inlet. I was surprised that it did not engage as much as I thought it would. The OEM was a snug fit but the CTS seemed a little loose when I installed it. Everything seems fine no issues other than the fit seemed loose.

·
Registered
2019 Golf Alltrack SEL (affectionately named Georgie)
34 Posts
Installed the frameless homeland mirror last night. Looks great and its nice to finally have the functionality. Did some really fun road tripping over the weekend as well. Got to go sliding around in packed down snow and ice on the way home and it was a pleasure to drive. Definitely looking forward to the upgrades as I do them, but for now, these are mainly cosmetic or user friendly functionality type upgrades. I'm actually not so sure I want to lower the car anymore. Maybe just figure out how to stiffen it a little. It seems the prefect height for what I like to do.

·
Registered
2019 Alltrack S, Red
51 Posts
Stuck a tiny circular convex mirror at the bottom right of the driver's side mirror. Couldn't get to trust the side warning signal on the mirror. Maybe with time I will and remove the little mirror. I hope I didn't cover some radar sensor! But I drive more comfortably seeing more of what is behind me on the left.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Picked it up from the dealer yesterday after 8 weeks for panoleak. I dropped my RSE-10’s wrapped in 235/40 AS4’s off Tbursday so they could put the wheels on for me before I scooped the car.

Interesting takeaway:

When I upgraded my rear sway bar on otherwise stock wheel + suspension, it made a massive difference. Thought I’d actually be able to ride out the factory suspension, where I previously felt it was simply insufficient and required upgrading.

With the As4’s on, the tires communicate the squirreliness of the stock suspension too well. The added grip and communication to the wheel made the stock suspension’s underdampedness SHINE, front and center, where the stock tires’ soft sidewalls numbed the feedback.

Good thing I have Golf R springs + B6’s ready for install come tax return/bonus time. Just waiting till then to pay for the install labor.
It’s actually really interesting that you say that. I don’t notice it much on nice roads. But when the roads get rough and uneven, the squirrels show up all day and I have to be really gentle but also guided on the steering.

On the two road trips I’ve done I went through a fair amount of snow, dirt and ice. I noticed with the TC on sport and the steering on sport it helps a lot, but I also loose the ability to do auto cruise control. It almost becomes more eager to be driven in its athletic modes with the driver more engaged.

not sure if it helps much but a cool observation. Also, your car looks fantastic with those wheels.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Stuck a tiny circular convex mirror at the bottom right of the driver's side mirror. Couldn't get to trust the side warning signal on the mirror. Maybe with time I will and remove the little mirror. I hope I didn't cover some radar sensor! But I drive more comfortably seeing more of what is behind me on the left.
I’ve considered figuring out if those blind spot mirrors they get in Europe are worth the time. That’s one of the few complaints I have.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Finally was able to install my CTS Turbo Inlet. I was surprised that it did not engage as much as I thought it would. The OEM was a snug fit but the CTS seemed a little loose when I installed it. Everything seems fine no issues other than the fit seemed loose.
Did you loosen the two hex nuts on the “arm” first? I was able to hold the inlet flush in places and tighten those to get the final fit snug. Before that, I was... concerned.

Also, make sure you use the o-ring they provided.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I’ve considered figuring out if those blind spot mirrors they get in Europe are worth the time. That’s one of the few complaints I have.
Got a drivers side one and really like it.The one I got is a bit convex the entire mirror and not just left of the delineation line so took a bit of getting used to but it's so nice to actually remove that blind spot with as much 4 lane highway driving as I do.Still heated and has warning light.

Reactions: Chris_bob

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Got a drivers side one and really like it.The one I got is a bit convex the entire mirror and not just left of the delineation line so took a bit of getting used to but it's so nice to actually remove that blind spot with as much 4 lane highway driving as I do.Still heated and has warning light.
Tell us more! Part number, or where you got it, and was it plug and play?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
388 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts

This is where things began for me. I drove a kind older lady’s Impreza for a summer. It was everything I liked about subarus from my childhood. Enough power to have fun, not too much to handle and definitely a good choice for a build platform and nice the 25 year comes and goes. Between making an outback sport rally hybrid with the ‘06 sTi drivetrain, the e34 wagon that’s the GT car of my dreams and the Alltrack into a track Sleeper one day I think I’ll be busy in the garage. I wish I could source the shells for both the older ones now though.

this is where we are today. Tints all around, deautoLED fogs, muddy buddy and weather tech liners, rallyarmor flaps, and the homelink mirror install. I have officially owned it for 1 month and have put almost 4500 miles on it. It had only done 4800 when I got it. I have her a good wash after the weekend and am super bummed that my hood and front bumpers got absolutely trashed from the salt being kicked up. I can see metal in places from paint chipping and there are a number of dents too. The flaps did their job perfectly though.

3461 - 3480 of 3502 Posts