VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
4701 - 4720 of 4872 Posts

·
Registered
2018 VW Alltrack SE
838 Posts
View attachment 204086
View attachment 204087
Also completed my Alltrack black out a few months ago. Took a different approach with 3m gloss vinyl wrap on all the trim, swapped to sportwagen roof rails, and swapped to the Golf R wagon rear valance.

Also added a Curt 1.25 hitch for my 1up bike rack this weekend. Had to cut into the Golf R wagon valance but I think it came out pretty decent.

View attachment 204089
Looks amazing. Did you do it all yourself? How hard was the wrap, and how hard was dropping the headliner and swapping rails?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Looks amazing. Did you do it all yourself? How hard was the wrap, and how hard was dropping the headliner and swapping rails?
Did it myself - front bumper silver trim pieces were taken off and wrapped one at a time. Silver side skirts were done while on the car. And the silver lower window trim was done on the car as well. It's not super hard just time consuming.

For the roof rails I didn't pull the whole headliner, just the grab handles and some of the interior window trim panels in the rear. The grab handles are a royal pia to remove but there is a tool I used that VW recommends that makes the job much easier. Snap on part # T10558A. Once removed if your hands are small enough you should have access to the 2x10mm bolts on each corner holding the roof rails on.

·
Registered
2018 VW Alltrack SE
838 Posts
Did it myself - front bumper silver trim pieces were taken off and wrapped one at a time. Silver side skirts were done while on the car. And the silver lower window trim was done on the car as well. It's not super hard just time consuming.

For the roof rails I didn't pull the whole headliner, just the grab handles and some of the interior window trim panels in the rear. The grab handles are a royal pia to remove but there is a tool I used that VW recommends that makes the job much easier. Snap on part # T10558A. Once removed if your hands are small enough you should have access to the 2x10mm bolts on each corner holding the roof rails on.
Thank you. Eventually I want to switch to the black rails too to complete the look. Need to find some used black rails as I imagine new ones are pretty expensive.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I think on a black car that makes a lot of sense and it looks good. 👏
I completely agree with this, personally, I think VW really missed the mark on that one and would have given the Alltrack a more "rugged" appearance with no chrome trim including the badging.

Reactions: VWSixSpeed

·
Registered
24 Posts
This looks fantastic! Good job. You have great taste.
A) Where did you find sportwagen rails? That is a much better solution as it then would be durable. How much and where?
B) Where did you find and how much for the additional front lip? It looks good.
C) How much/where for the Golf R valence, is it a direct fit? I still don't know how I feel. I actually kept mine silver (for NOW) as I think it looks slightly aggressive and cool, but I may paint my valence when I have it out in the future for a hitch.

Also completed my Alltrack black out a few months ago. Took a different approach with 3m gloss vinyl wrap on all the trim, swapped to sportwagen roof rails, and swapped to the Golf R wagon rear valance.

·
Registered
2019 Alltrack-S
11,007 Posts
While I do like the duckbill, and would consider running one… it does make me wonder if it would interfere with the R-variant side spoilers that people usually run… like would the thickness throw off the fitment of them in any way? The shape where they meet the edges make me think some trimming would be involved on one piece or the other…
Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
156 Posts
While I do like the duckbill, and would consider running one… it does make me wonder if it would interfere with the R-variant side spoilers that people usually run… like would the thickness throw off the fitment of them in any way? The shape where they meet the edges make me think some trimming would be involved on one piece or the other…
Almost certainly. I’m sure they would consider an abbreviated version for applications with side spoilers if they knew how much to shorten the tips. I mean, they bend them already, so from a manufacturing perspective it would actually remove a two steps in the process. It would just be a different pattern/drawing/path.
It would actually be pretty easy to diy out of any semi-rigid sheet material fwiw.

NDB

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
IS20 over the weekend, still on 87 IS12 APR tune, can feel a bit boggyness under 2500 (demand for boost is way under actual per ODBeleven) but she pulls much harder from 4-6K and i do hear spoolly boi noises a lot more. I'm sure a proper IS20 tune will wake it up a lot more.

Two weeks before, she was tinted, Lummar F1 Stratos 50 up front, and 40 out back, was 100F yesterday and was able to turn fans down to 1 to remain comfortable which never happened before. Lummar F1 40 was also applied to the pano about 3 years ago, i wish i had the entire car tinted back then.

·
Registered
243 Posts
This looks fantastic! Good job. You have great taste.
A) Where did you find sportwagen rails? That is a much better solution as it then would be durable. How much and where?
B) Where did you find and how much for the additional front lip? It looks good.
C) How much/where for the Golf R valence, is it a direct fit? I still don't know how I feel. I actually kept mine silver (for NOW) as I think it looks slightly aggressive and cool, but I may paint my valence when I have it out in the future for a hitch.
The rails were bought second hand from a wagon buddy who was parting out a sportwagen last year at Helen Volksfair. I think I paid $150 for them and they sat for a year before I finally installed them.

Front lip is from ebay simply because I don't want to spend a lot of money on something I know will be beat up and destroyed eventually. Mounting hardware is the same as what would be used on an Aerofab style splitter. Fair warning - the lip will eventually pull some of Alltrack trim in the front bumper which is held in by basic clips. I finally figured out how to reinforce it so it doesn't get ripped down on the highway like it used to.

Golf R wagon valance is about 200 Euro ordered from E-Acca part 5g9807568p041. It's not a direct fit but it's close, you need to cut the bumper behind the valance and mould it so it fits. The whole rear valance is a rabbit hole since you will want to match quad tips which would lead you down the exhaust path. There is a second option to source the Euro Tdi Alltrack valance which is dual tip on 1 side with the ability to cut out the dual tip on the other side. The Tdi Alltrack valance is a direct fit so it can be easier to deal with not having to hack up the stock bumper.

·
Registered
2018 VW Alltrack SE
838 Posts
Installed my Splitter Gang ducktail.

NDB
While I do like the duckbill, and would consider running one… it does make me wonder if it would interfere with the R-variant side spoilers that people usually run… like would the thickness throw off the fitment of them in any way? The shape where they meet the edges make me think some trimming would be involved on one piece or the other… View attachment 204545
Looks good. I think if I were to buy a spoiler, I'd get the Maxton Design one that mounts on top and, as you can see in the photos, is compatible with the R side fins. Maxton Design MK7 Sportwagen / Alltrack Rear Spoiler Extension

·
Registered
156 Posts
3m super tape only or fasteners as well. I do not want to drill into the underside of the existing spoiler.
SPOILER ALERT!!
3M tape only. I don’t know if I failed to clean the paint sufficiently, but the spoiler arrived flat with the exception of the ends that have a slight bend in them to try and match the contour of the car. I had to remove some of that bend once the flat portion was flexed around the gently curved central part of the hatch to get it to lay flat. Sooooo, there is spring tension that keeps peeling the ends off of the hatch.
I could try removing it and replacing the adhesive tape but I am going straight to the nuclear option.
I don’t mind exposed fasteners on my build because that kind of fits with the direction I’m going. That said I am going to set some M6 nutserts in the hatch and use some black anodized aluminum countersunk bolts with black anodized aluminum countersunk washers to attach it to the hatch. I’m getting the aluminum hardware from Pro-Bolt. They specialize in motorcycle fasteners, but they’re my go-to for exotic fasteners, eg. titanium or anodized aluminum.
Anyway, I’m sure that this is more information than you were looking for, but there it is.
For what it’s worth, my opinion of the product itself is very good. I prefer the aluminum over the plastic Maxton Designs version. I was a little bit disappointed that the edge is unfinished. It appears that the spoiler was punched from a piece of aluminum plate that has been coated or anodized black before it was punched and the edge was just left unfinished. With a little effort I could give the edge a brushed or polished finish and blacken it with a magic marker if the silver edge doesn’t fit my theme (full disclosure: it doesn’t).
I hope this helps someone.

NDB

·
Registered
2019 Alltrack-S
11,007 Posts
appears that the spoiler was punched from a piece of aluminum plate that has been coated or anodized black before it was punched and the edge was just left unfinished. With a little effort I could give the edge a brushed or polished finish and blacken it with a magic marker if the silver edge doesn’t fit my theme (full disclosure: it doesn’t).
I hope this helps someone.

NDB
might want to look into using Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black as a more permanent solution than a magic marker… it’s basically anodizing in a jar…

·
Registered
92 Posts

Been trying to get these for a while from a few venders over last year, and every time they are out of stock. do you have a link for these?? Thanks!

4701 - 4720 of 4872 Posts