VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
4781 - 4800 of 4862 Posts

·
Registered
2018 VW Alltrack SE
838 Posts
Yakima Slim Shady awning installed for the big mountain days - Easy install and removal, easy setup and break down, compact design. Bigger sizes available but this one suits my needs.

View attachment 213736

Also broke my eBay front lip 💁‍♂️....Conveniently CJM Industries recently released their front splitter for the Alltrack so I went that. More than happy with the results. It's very solid, and bolted extremely well to the lower spoiler area. Subtle design but I am happy with it, hopefully they do the side skirts in the near future so I can get those too.

View attachment 213737

View attachment 213738
Looks great! On checking their site, they say it's based on VW part 5GM805915B, which is a front spoiler listed for 2018-19 Alltrack. How come I've never heard of that? Is it a stock "spoiler"?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Looks great! On checking their site, they say it's based on VW part 5GM805915B, which is a front spoiler listed for 2018-19 Alltrack. How come I've never heard of that? Is it a stock "spoiler"?
That's just what VW names it as, it's the bottom piece that connects the front bumper to the under tray. Also there is no difference with pre face-lift vs face-lift as they are exactly the same.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Technically Sunday, but I autocrossed my totally stock Alltrack in SCCA H Street class against much lighter Fiesta STs on sticky rubber. I came in second by the slimmest of margins despite making lots of mistakes and the stock Conti M+S tires the car came with. Had a lot of fun as well :)

Video of this past Sunday's event:

Video of slightly better driving from two weeks ago when I came in 4th:

·
Registered
152 Posts
While I do like the duckbill, and would consider running one… it does make me wonder if it would interfere with the R-variant side spoilers that people usually run… like would the thickness throw off the fitment of them in any way? The shape where they meet the edges make me think some trimming would be involved on one piece or the other… View attachment 204545
I just noticed that Flow Designs added a MK7 Golf R Wagon Rear Spoiler Extension to their lineup. It’s very similar in shape as the Splitter Gang ducktail but it isn’t as tall and it looks like the third brake light cutout is the right shape. It’s for the Golf R Estate so it accommodates the rear window side spoilers.

NDB

·
Registered
2019 Alltrack-S
11,006 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Technically Sunday, but I autocrossed my totally stock Alltrack in SCCA H Street class against much lighter Fiesta STs on sticky rubber. I came in second by the slimmest of margins despite making lots of mistakes and the stock Conti M+S tires the car came with. Had a lot of fun as well :)

Video of this past Sunday's event:

Video of slightly better driving from two weeks ago when I came in 4th:
4motion is like cheating. Moar pedal.:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: GtiAutoX

·
Registered
2018 Sportswagen IS20 IE Stage 3 - MKV R32 - 16 Passat R-Line
146 Posts

·
Registered
'17 Alltrack SE
365 Posts
I just noticed that Flow Designs added a MK7 Golf R Wagon Rear Spoiler Extension to their lineup. It’s very similar in shape as the Splitter Gang ducktail but it isn’t as tall and it looks like the third brake light cutout is the right shape. It’s for the Golf R Estate so it accommodates the rear window side spoilers.

NDB
Clean design.

Interesting some of the pics have molded-in big FLOW logos on top and bottom sides… while other pics don’t show logos?! At an age where replin’ big logos isn’t really my thing anymore, wonder what final product looks like?

Looks like it plays nice with the side spoilers too!

Reactions: CanuckBird

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Man those hatch lip spoilers look cool AF. Too bad my engineer brain just says, "thats a really dumb way to lose a full mpg on the highway". Increases the rear aerodynamic wake size significantly.... which also makes for slower top end acceleration. Just sayin (sorry).

·
Registered
2019 Golf Alltrack
52 Posts
I'm getting ready for a road trip to watch the SLS rocket launch in Florida and then drive up the east coast! Got some early maintenance in these past couple of days: oil change, air filters, and rotated my tires. First time I'm using my modded oil extractor with a vacuum gauge, it worked out really well! I only had to pump it a few times instead of every couple of minutes. Also first time using a floor jack and jack stands lol.

I followed this for the jacking:

·
Registered
'17 Alltrack SE
365 Posts
Reactions: CanuckBird

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
These are a game changer… been very happy with them going on 3yrs now.
Thanks! Can use extra white light car camping as a "work light" while setting up, attaching a tow, etc.

Also did awhile back the "red lens delete w/ high intensity amber" LED turns by DeAutoLed...
Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Grille

definitely LOTS more rear visibility especially in winter crud conditions.
Automotive tail & brake light Automotive parking light Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

·
Registered
'17 Alltrack SE
365 Posts
Thanks! Can use extra light car camping.
Also did awhile back the "red lens delete w/ high intensity amber" LED turns by DeAutoLed...
View attachment 215433
definitely LOTS more rear visibility especially in winter crud conditions.
View attachment 215432
If you have OBD11 you can also (think it’s a quick app now) do the 5 brake light mod that activates the inner/hatch lights too as signals. Nice bit of extra light.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Man those hatch lip spoilers look cool AF. Too bad my engineer brain just says, "thats a really dumb way to lose a full mpg on the highway". Increases the rear aerodynamic wake size significantly.... which also makes for slower top end acceleration. Just sayin (sorry).
I agree, but it really does look awesome.

NDB

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Deez, aero or automotive?
I'm not sure the flow over the hatch is exactly "laminar" anyway, judging by the amount of winter crud that accumulates seemingly instantly on my rear window...😆

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Deez, aero or automotive?
I'm not sure the flow over the hatch is exactly "laminar" anyway, judging by the amount of winter crud that accumulates seemingly instantly on my rear window...😆
Mechanical engineer, engine dynamometer testing. But fascinated by aerodynamics. I aeromodded my 03 Jetta TDI from 47 mpg hwy to 56 (some of the engine mods probably helped too).

The rear window gets dirty because the flow separates as soon as it comes off the hatch spoiler, creating a giant area of vacuum behind the car, which sucks dirt up from anything your wheels kick up off the road (blue regions below). Increasing the height of the hatch spoiler means a bigger area of low flow/ vacuum in blue below. So even more dirt sucking! Plus that area of vacuum is literally pulling on the rear of your car as if you have a parachute deployed (hence aforementioned mpg loss if you make it bigger).

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive design

Attachments

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Mechanical engineer, engine dynamometer testing. But fascinated by aerodynamics. I aeromodded my 03 Jetta TDI from 47 mpg hwy to 56 (some of the engine mods probably helped too).

The rear window gets dirty because the flow separates as soon as it comes off the hatch spoiler, creating a giant area of vacuum behind the car, which sucks dirt up from anything your wheels kick up off the road (blue regions below). Increasing the height of the hatch spoiler means a bigger area of low flow/ vacuum in blue below. So even more dirt sucking! Plus that area of vacuum is literally pulling on the rear of your car as if you have a parachute deployed (hence aforementioned mpg loss if you make it bigger).

View attachment 216237
Thanks, Deez, very cool!
where do these graphics come from?

I too am fascinated by the aero efficiency/mpgs gained by simple stuff- and avoid carrying too much on top, roof rack etc unless needed, esp now gas is serious money...🤨

Guessing you've probably seen golfdave's posts at golfmk7?
Did not know just how much gained by some adds underneath, but thats only on GSWs, GTIs ...

4781 - 4800 of 4862 Posts