VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
4841 - 4860 of 4869 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Got all the windows tinted this week in 20% suntek CIR and then 80% llumar CTX on the windshield. Hopefully cut down on the heat inside and help with some privacy.
Most expensive window tint I've ever paid for. So many damn windows on these wagons.

Also had the rear woofers replaced since the driver side was not working. Went with JL C1 650's.

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

A while back I also installed a 2in eco hitch to work with my 1up bike rack. In the rack's "high clearance" position with it also slammed all the way into the hitch, it just barely clears the trunk so I can still open it which is awesome. I leave it in that position when I'm not using it. When folded all the way up, it clears the bumper too. Great fit on this car!

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Tire
Sky Vehicle Tire Hood Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Got all the windows tinted this week in 20% suntek CIR and then 80% llumar CTX on the windshield. Hopefully cut down on the heat inside and help with some privacy.
Most expensive window tint I've ever paid for. So many damn windows on these wagons.

Also had the rear woofers replaced since the driver side was not working. Went with JL C1 650's.

View attachment 221340

View attachment 221339

A while back I also installed a 2in eco hitch to work with my 1up bike rack. In the rack's "high clearance" position with it also slammed all the way into the hitch, it just barely clears the trunk so I can still open it which is awesome. I leave it in that position when I'm not using it. When folded all the way up, it clears the bumper too. Great fit on this car!

View attachment 221341 View attachment 221342
Beautiful choice on the tint, like it should have come from factory!
Been noodling on same- how much impact on heat reduction?
How much reduction in practical use on night driving?

What did you end up paying?
I read Suntek and Lumar are the go-to quality choices.

PS: +1 on the 1up.
Best looking, fitting and lightest= lowest impact on saggy butt. Worth the money!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Beautiful choice on the tint, like it should have come from factory!
Been noodling on same- how much impact on heat reduction?
How much reduction in practical use on night driving?

What did you end up paying?
I read Suntek and Lumar are the go-to quality choices.

PS: +1 on the 1up.
Best looking, fitting and lightest= lowest impact on saggy butt. Worth the money!
Thanks! Haven't had it on for that long, but the in-car temperatures are definitely noticeably lower when I get in at the end of work after my car has been sitting outside all day.

The tent itself was about $1,100 otd. Lifetime warranty and all that jazz. I called around to a lot of different places to get quotes for a ceramic tent including the windshield, and they were all within the same ballpark price.

It's not that bad at all at night. Can't say there's ever been a time where I wish I had more visibility or that it was too dark. No problems viewing out the back window or out the peripherals. I was debating between 20 and 15% when doing mine, but either of them would be just fine realistically since the difference is not that much.

I also looked at doing a 3M crystalline ceramic, but that would have ended up being like $1600.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Thanks! Haven't had it on for that long, but the in-car temperatures are definitely noticeably lower when I get in at the end of work after my car has been sitting outside all day.

The tent itself was about $1,100 otd. Lifetime warranty and all that jazz. I called around to a lot of different places to get quotes for a ceramic tent including the windshield, and they were all within the same ballpark price.

It's not that bad at all at night. Can't say there's ever been a time where I wish I had more visibility or that it was too dark. No problems viewing out the back window or out the peripherals. I was debating between 20 and 15% when doing mine, but either of them would be just fine realistically since the difference is not that much.

I also looked at doing a 3M crystalline ceramic, but that would have ended up being like $1600.
Thanks!
Thats a very reasonable cost for much better utility if driven in hot sunny over the next, say 4-5 years.
Dang it! Another upgrade on "the list"...🤣

·
Registered
'17 Alltrack SE
368 Posts
Amazon sourced back LED lights are also a great option for 1/4 the cost of DEAuto LED, I do notice some RF interference when listening to FM radio, not a deal breaker as im only backing up so much, well worth it to save a few bucks over deauto.
Not sure you're “saving” money here then.

DeAuto isn’t cheap… but their lifetime warranty is amazing! They replaced my HID bulbs/ballasts 2 yrs after install at no cost. Or will trouble shoot any issues.
Never going to get that from Amazon.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Not sure you're “saving” money here then.

DeAuto isn’t cheap… but their lifetime warranty is amazing! They replaced my HID bulbs/ballasts 2 yrs after install at no cost. Or will trouble shoot any issues.
Never going to get that from Amazon.
They've been in-service for 5 years, sure others may balk at the FM radio interference, but to each his own. Agreed that im on my own if they fail, but thats the gamble i'm willing to take for some cheap peanut LEDs.

·
Registered
22 GLI // 18 Audi S4
12,590 Posts
I imagine those are harder to come by and pricier than some used golf r seats! They do look great though
I do have a set for sale, from an S5, gray leather and Alcantara, let me know if you want details. :)

·
Registered
778 Posts
They've been in-service for 5 years, sure others may balk at the FM radio interference, but to each his own. Agreed that im on my own if they fail, but thats the gamble i'm willing to take for some cheap peanut LEDs.
I've also got similar time on an Amazon set with no issues.
With the markup they charge, it's easy for DE to offer such a "good" warranty as they could probably afford to replace them 5 times and still profit from the original sale.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I've also got similar time on an Amazon set with no issues.
With the markup they charge, it's easy for DE to offer such a "good" warranty as they could probably afford to replace them 5 times and still profit from the original sale.
This.

I'm not trying to disparage DE but one thing I notice on their site is that they have no photos of the actual bulbs they're selling. And please correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a hard time believing that they are having these made just for them and not just repackaging Chinesium bulbs in fancy boxes. I'm mean great on them for being able to offer such a stellar warranty and support. That is still very important.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I've been very happy with full DeAuto LEDs all up front (see Karsts youtube) and
Rear amber turns (red lens delete)
and now reverse lights.

Had two fogs go bad, over three years now, and they covered no problem on proof of destruction, under lifetime warranty.

A bit more $$$ than sourcing on ebay, aliExpress?
And no surprise if so, dont care,
Its worth it for fast and willing customer support, and if noting a small design change to fogs then it appears they are working with suppliers to continue improvements, based on customer feedback.

Too bad Eds Reps stopped, and still no answer on if LR is individual bulb replaceable or the whole sealed unit, which if it is is more expensive that DeAuto's, as is Osrams unit, shipped from Germany.

Nice to have a trusted source thats staying in the game.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
New Nokian Outpost AT replacing winters, 215/65/16 on steelies (same size as Tig OEM steelies and with OEM hub bolt covers)
These are customer reviewed as quieter than Falken Wildpeak ATs, lighter in weight, on some Tacos, Jeeps, Subies. (The silver steelie is my full size spare with a generic Discount tire CUV - deflated to 15 psi it fits flat in trunk- needed for towing when the donut would put the haldex at risk paired with OEMplus2 sized 27" tires.)

What I like is bigger tread spacing than the winters; Happakalita RS3s I've used in three high plains winters, and in dirt in summer softroading, (per the reference to dirt rally cars using winters for traction by ShopDap on their Project Alltrack lifted build)

Outpost AT compound is harder than winters but like Falkens also carries the mountain snow rating plus Nokian is EU TUV certified.

The big improvement for me in durability over Falkens as next best- proven by many happy Alltrack and Subie users of Fallen Wildpeaks
is the Nokian ATs have aramid in both tread and sidewall for more puncture resistance.

(This sidewall kevlar would have come in handy when I picked up a bit of knifelife metal flashing during the May-June heatwave, punctured jusr outside the tread shoulder and thus unrepairable by Discount Tire.

(Note I did emergency repair roadside using the Aussie tire tools with rubber plug insert. That was fun in 120degree heat- pro tip to myself: "Self, buy the right damn tire size kit on Amazon" ...not "ATV sized" plugs ya idjit!)

Also nice is a similar shoulder "tread" to the Falkens but Nokiand have a bit more aggressive pattern and deeper tread to kick out gravel to avoid stoning punctures.

First impression- quiet as the Nikian winters on highway and streets, rides a bit taller, it seems- and as hoped "fits no rub at 27" diameter."

More updates after I go bounce around in some dirt then tow 6000 miles on next trip to include some Kaibab camping on USFS roads, hot weather long distance.

PS: These are winter rated by the mountain symbol and carry Euro TUV spec as well.

Tire Wheel Car Sky Vehicle

Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Tire

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Nokian has a new "Pothole protection plan for first year to 25% tread wear". Its a new thing, free on these and some others,
And for my purposes not near as extensive as Discount Tires hazard coverage that goes to 75%

but handy in a part of country as a backup if not served by Discount Tire if I take it elsewhere.

Plus they are purty, rugged looking, like Falkens.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive parking light Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Ps: Discount Tire gives 5% off for military, inc vets if you ask.

Rotates every 5k miles, no charge- matches my severe duty cycle on engine oil softroading and/or towing hot heavy, so Makes it easy to remember.

I'm a Big fan of Discount Tire but find one that will make the extra effort to take your special order, check inventory. iIf you get the new kid that looks up by model its not listed, but you can order it by size.

Been going to the same DT shop on all my vehicles for 20 years due to store leadership/my good luck.

BTW- AT vs dedicated winter- This also improves on one weakness of winters that Nokian advises: tend to hydroplane sooner.

I'll be operating now in much less snow, but much more gravel and dirt over next 40k miles if plans hold, in warmer dryer weather so I am looking forward to more traction in gravel and dirt, than the winters which were brilliant on snow and ice.

And the winters upsized on steelies were a big improvement over stock all seasons on street wheels in dirt and sand.

-trade-offs...

·
Registered
2018 VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6 spd Midnight Blue
424 Posts

·
Registered
'17 GSW 4MO DSG lifted w/ Alltrack springs
97 Posts
Nokian has a new "Pothole protection plan for first year to 25% tread wear". Its a new thing, free on these and some others,
And for my purposes not near as extensive as Discount Tires hazard coverage that goes to 75%

but handy in a part of country as a backup if not served by Discount Tire if I take it elsewhere.

View attachment 222019
View attachment 222021
View attachment 222020
View attachment 222018

Rotates every 5k miles, no charge- matches my severe duty cycle on engine oil softroading and/or towing hot heavy, so Makes it easy to remember.

I'm a Big fan of Discount Tire but find one that will make the extra effort to take your special order, check inventory. iIf you get the new kid that looks up by model its not listed, but you can order it by size.

Been going to the same DT shop on all my vehicles for 20 years due to store leadership/my good luck.

BTW- AT vs dedicated winter- This also improves on one weakness of winters that Nokian advises: tend to hydroplane sooner.

I'll be operating now in much less snow, but much more gravel and dirt over next 40k miles if plans hold, in warmer dryer weather so I am looking forward to more traction in gravel and dirt, than the winters which were brilliant on snow and ice.

And the winters upsized on steelies were a big improvement over stock all seasons on street wheels in dirt and sand.

-trade-offs...

View attachment 222019
View attachment 222021
View attachment 222020
View attachment 222018

-trade-offs...
Nice rubber my friend :cool:

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Nice rubber my friend :cool:
Thanks!
I Reaaalllyyy wanted to wrap the 17" Valleys
like some here have done with the Falken Wildpeaks at 26.2"...benefit of slightly shorter side wall, and 7" wide Valley vs 6.5" steelie is a tighter ride, good for towing.

but could not get the new Nokian ATs in any size, on 17" wheels at close to 27" dia and be sure they'd fit no rub. So I'm happy with the slightly balloonish look that also protects the wheel a bit.
On the taller sidewalls I figure I can air down a little further without rolling a bead...plus the steelies are a bit lighter than the Valleys.

Those Wildpeaks DO get great reviews on jeep, taco and Subie forums, but interestingly the Doscount Tire guy pointed out on his computer picture the tread was a bit less aggressive on the Wildpeaks...Than the Nokians.

So if I get "quieter than, lighter than" Falkens on the Nokian AT with a bit wider and deeper tread cuts, plus kevlar all around,
I figure its worth a couple bucks more.

We'll see.

PS: DT in SoCal doesnt sell a lot of winters but they do sell a lot of AT tires- I asked and tire guy said BFGs are most popular.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts

View attachment 222019
View attachment 222021
View attachment 222020
View attachment 222018

-trade-offs...
Mind take a peak on the sidewalls an see where those tires are made? Our last Haka 2020 and Entyre 2.0 2021 were Russian made.

I'm curious how fast Nokian was able to shift production to other facilities knowing current turmoil.

4841 - 4860 of 4869 Posts