VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
4861 - 4872 of 4872 Posts

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Mind take a peak on the sidewalls an see where those tires are made? Our last Haka 2020 and Entyre 2.0 2021 were Russian made.

I'm curious how fast Nokian was able to shift production to other facilities knowing current turmoil.
Good question! I'd tried to order these twice at other tire stores, got no call back..."could not get thru" was the excuse so I tried calling Nokian direct from the "contact us" on website...long holds no answer 15-20 min got bored hungup twice...

So I dug some more...on the website-
DD the tires sold in US are made in their new plant in TN.
But they DO have a big factory in Ukraine/Russia (its not clear where from website) that sanctions shutdown.

Nokian says "is currently shutting down for good/working to resettle/find their 300 employees elsewhere...
BTW That plant makes all the heavy equipment tires, and a bunch of car tires sold in EU.

So, these Nokians in US weren't supply chain limited- just hard to source, right now so I found another way into Nokian who backchannel called my Discount Tire store to give the info and order...
Git r done!

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Last one- as promised update from road test on Nokian Outpost ATs...( and I'll stop thread jacking "what did I do thread"...🤪)
TLDR- worked well as hoped, worth the upgrade!

Details: Took it out on a "truck trail" road up into the hills, all dirt with some ruts and rocks and sand...at 35psi these worked briliantly- no need to air down as this road was dry and hard just badly rutted in spots with only occasional soft dirt/sand.

TheNokian ATs bigger tread and the shoulder features clearly grabbed the hard dirt MUCH better than the winters treads with smaller side cuts,

I noticed enough to "carve up on the side" of dry ruts and erosion swales
where the winters or OEM Falken Sincera All Seasons, (tho better than avg in dirt due soft compound new,)
would have slipped off...thus getting hog backed or side fouled in the hole.

I was able to power up hill quite handily- like a cat, spooked into a sprint..

The Nokian ATs were slightlt quieter on the highway, and on the paved twisty's getting to the dirt, than the previous Nikian Happakalita RS3s - which were not bad, and handled dirt way better than street tread before.

The ATs did scrub earlier in hard cornering on pavement of course being a harder compund and a bit more rounded profile...

and the tall sidewalls makes them less stiff in body roll, than streets, of course but not uncomfortably so,

And predictable enough even with 150# cargo box and some gear up top.

So maybe the Falken Wildpeaks with a tread pattern close to the Nokian winters and a flatter profile would corner better on pavement than these Nokian ATs.

The ATs soaked up a couple bumps-rocks, 90 degree ruts, paved road imperfections at speed that I recall the winters tended to bottom/bounce off rim, sooner- but of course thats highly subjective by memory a week old too.

I could tell a qualitative improvement in grip climbing ruts, powering thru loose dirt in off-road mode...not a jeep or even a Taco with ATs but closer to that feel, and confidence boosting.

Unrelated but the Stage1 tune really makes a difference in extra grunt at 2000rpm plus...but of course with the taller gear ratio plus even taller effect of OEM+2 on tire size, you arent crawling- now you are moving pretty good at 10-15mph

Note in Hill Descent (feet on the floor first and second clutch engaged) going down its as expected...a bit more sticky, and many dont know Hill Descent also works going up:
In first gear you can crawl at engine idle speed - in mine with 27" tires its about 3-4 mph indicated...
until the hill gets too steep- 6-10% grade I'd guess, and you'll need to add throttle again by pedal beyond what the ECS schedules or it stalls out.

So if you wanna focus on picking a line let the Hill Descent manage the throttle.

Coming back I pumped up from 35psi to 40 to see if that stiffens the ride and body roll on the twisty pavement - yep, a bit, less scrub...and worth it to carry the cheapo Amazon 12vdc inflator.

Tip: Takes a minute or two per tire and the cheaper units get warm in ten minutes, need a cool down. So plan for that - taking a break between tires after air down to 15-20psi for sand etc.

Tire Plant Plant community Vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Sky Vehicle

Tire Sky Car Vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Good to know the US plant is spitting tires out. I wonder the limited world wide capacity will hurt winter tire availably for those looking to pick up new winters in the next month or two.

Reactions: CanuckBird

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Update again- got the Alltrack in for some PM and an IC upgrade at Pure Motorsports in San Diego- the go-to tuner shop in this area.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Found a bit of rubbing on front inner wheelwell both sides- only at full turn and compression in rough roads, minor enuff I'm ok with not resorting to spacers on the steelies nor new wheels ( cuz Imma cheap bastid...)

but in case this feedback might be enough for anyone else to decide on something with a bit more poke...😀

·
Registered
20 Posts
Found out today that obdeleven is no longer doing free points through watching ads and opening the app. And the cost for a 1 year pro membership is $50 now from $25! :oops:
So I used the rest of my points on apps to enable a few things since it looks like they added some for the AT.

-Remote windows up and down from remote fab
-increased throttle response
-enable access to multimedia and car menus while car moving
-fog lights on with high beams
-emergency brake lights
-enable DRL toggle in settings

2017 AT S trim

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
i picked up an opbeleven pro back in august, for my turbo swap, less than impressed with lack of iOS support. Seems like lot of their stuff "in development" is still vapor ware. Def won't be paying them more money to do adaptations that my VCDS will do for free.

Reactions: CanuckBird

·
Registered
156 Posts
Dragged my new wheels/tires to Discount Tire for mounting and Hunter Road Force balancing.

Up next, stud conversion, and Flatout Suspension GR Lite coilover installation and I can bolt them up!
So…stoked.

BTW, I am trying to get my Instagram account off the ground so I can hopefully get some sponsorships and products to review. I could use a little help from you guys because right now I don’t have enough followers and what not, so if you wouldn’t mind please follow me @Alltrack_Overland.

Thanks for reading this far.

NDB

4861 - 4872 of 4872 Posts