VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

What did you do to your Atlas today

619K views 2K replies 400 participants last post by  der skillz 
Last week, I'd spent the afternoon upgrading my LE's non-leather steering wheel. Added a full leather wrap kit. Took about 2-2.5 hours from start to completion, half of the time was making sure it was lined up and center, and taping it down. The other half was sowing the seams together. Overall, I'm very happy with the results, and the wheel feels 100% better. It's larger and more comfortable to hold.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/7TrznGispB2RYgBTgF5oPr06I1dtP51jdjLdBxPTtW1

plasti dipped my rims
the original 18" silvers looked a bit too small
used 4 bottles, cost below 25$

after
Man, that looks fantastic!

Would you mind sharing what full leather wrap kit you bought and from where? I think it would drastically improve the feel while driving the car.
Here's the link to the actual wrap kit.

The wheel is 100% better with the wrap. Such a nice upgrade that has daily payoff.

Nice work, and good choice! I've done a few of these and can appreciate what you went through to get it right. This will definitely be added to my list.
Thank you. This was my first, but will do this for future cars (if they don't have leather wheels)

Is this adhered with a tape or adhesive as well? If so do you feel if it needed to be removed there would be underlying damage to the original wheel?

Kevin
When I'd done mine, the kit came with double-sided thin tape. I have the LE, non-leather wheel, and don't plan on taking my wrap off. If it gets damage, I'll rewrap it with another kit.

There were a video where the guy had done it without using the tape. Personally, I feel you need the tape, if you want the wrap to conform to the surface, especially around the multi contour sections.

I’m surprised that after being out on the roads this long, no one has tried removing the rear chrome mustache.
There's been a few black-out ones.

Installed a Thule Force XT XL box on the car and have been testing it out for over a week. Love the added space.

Tell them you’re walking. They won’t want to lose the sale because of that. Maybe they’ll take $500 off the final price or give you a voucher for a free detail or get some free VW swag out of it. Either way, if you said something to the sales guy and he dropped the ball, he should earn the sale. If said nothing and they drilled without asking then that’s on you.
I completely agree with this!

Added a YI dash cam (awesome, btw for $40 on amazon) and hardwire kit, and a euro plate. Love the look with it. Also added some coding with obd11.
How was the YI dash cam install? Been thinking of adding one, and the YI cam is on the list.

is there a back story on the chrome accents added to your grill?
I saw in the order guide a while back there was a no charge option for the non us market grill. What's different about it? The vertical chrome strips?
The story behind it is due to the vendor's factory was caught in a fire, and there was a shortage of the US-spec grill. VW had temporarily used the Teramount grill as an alternative.

Since we use the 3rd row a lot, I want the passengers to have same treatment as the second row passenger with their own sunscreen.

DYI or a production shade?

No, I actually bought it. It was actually for all the window (including front driver and passenger windows) but I requested for the seller if i can just purchase for the 3rd row.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-3rd-R...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
That's awesome. thanks for the link. How's the fit-finish? Would be a great addition to my LE that doesn't have rear pull shades.

I have rear windows also tinted 50% on top of the factory 20%. But wouldn't mind additional shading for the kiddos, on long drives.

This is why I didn't want the sunroof. Had this happen on my first VW. They should tell buyers that they have to check the drains frequently as a part of at home maintenance but they don't.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
IIRC, it's in the manual, stating about checking the drains and cleaning out the tracks.

It wouldn't surprise me if it is, but so is how to set up your bluetooth and they teach you that before you leave with the vehicle. I would think that teaching new owners a couple simple steps to keep their footwells dry would be much more useful.
They also list the type of oil to use in your engine, but they don't go over that when you're taking delivery of the vehicle. Nor do they tell you how to properly rotate your tires...

My point is that it's in the manual. And it's part of your maintenance duty on the vehicle.

Your point about them helping you set up your BT is part of the user enjoyment of the new vehicle. Plus, it's a set-it-and-forget-it option, until you get another phone. And lastly, they wouldn't want you to crash the new vehicle, when driving off and trying to BT sync the phone to the new car.

I actually checked the manual, this is the only mention about the drains. So much for its in the manual.
"Do not attempt to clean the drain tubes for the power sunroof. This could result in vehicle damage caused by punctured or damaged drain tubes.
Volkswagen recommends having the work performed by an authorized Volkswagen dealer or authorized Volkswagen Service Facility."

Nothing makes you want to buy another car from a manufacturer thats cool with your foot well filling with water when they could just show you a simple way to keep the drains clean (so people arent taking coat hangers to them which is my guess as to the damage caused)

I had this happen on my 02 GTI so i know how to check and clear them but I opt for cars without sunroofs whenever possible. If I want wet floorboards I'll take a wrangler.

Page 121:
Remove leaves and other objects from the sunroof guiderails regularly either by hand or using a vacuum cleaner.

Page 29: At the 40K miles service
Sunroof and Panoramic sunroof: check, clean and lubricate. Open sunroof and check front and rear water drains and clean if necessary.

I pulled my quote from the online manual from the owners section of VW.com and its literally the only mention of the drains in that version. So is the paper manual telling you what the dealer will do, still with no actual instruction (for the drains, not the guides)? How many people know where those drains actually release at?
I mean, I get what you're trying to say, however, there's a point where they can't cover everything. Remember those Haynes and Chilton manuals? Those cover EVERYTHING.

VW doesn't tell you how to replace your Haldex oil either, but it's required. And they don't tell you that you need a special filler tool to pump the oil into the unit.

Here's a few more pics of our Atlas at Fixxffest. Installed a Rola roof basket and had the hood wrapped.
That basket and the extension looks really good! How is it holding up?