VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2012 VW Golf R
837 Posts
So my car originally when I bought it didn’t have an inspection sticker. They gave it an inspection and were going to do an oil change but didn’t have a filter. Fast forward to today they are changing my oil. Kid who got in my car stalled it out, spiked my brakes and stalled it in the bay. Watched him try to figure out how to get it on the lift since it’s lowered. Took him almost 20 minutes to put it on the lift. I should have just told them nah I’ll change it myself but I figured they messed up offered free oil change. But lesson learned I guess. Also garages that have cameras are nice but it also opens your eyes lol..

·
Registered
2012 VW Golf R
837 Posts
Well i finally got my tune in the mail today!

All i can say is.. I LOVE IT. Feels pretty damn different to me. Going to install the pcv adapter plate tomorrow and change my oil. Got a new little heater for the garage so it won't be so unbearably cold in there.

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 VW Golf R
837 Posts
Honestly I don’t know the difference between APR and IE. This is my first tune. I have an IE cold air intake, custom exhaust and the IE tune that’s it. Feels like it pulls how I thought it would when I first got it. My wife definitely notices how much harder it pulls. I’ve ordered some more goodies from ecs tuning so I can install my pcv delete with boost tube adapter. Once that’s done I’ll most likely be changing coil packs and spark plugs. Sadly after that it’ll be time to replace the coil overs. I don’t want the car as low as it is. I’ve tried moving the coils installed now but they are stuck tight. Even with proper tool it won’t budge. But they’re raceland coil overs which if im being honest is probably what I’ll go back to because I don’t mind the ride.

·
Registered
2012 VW Golf R
837 Posts
Ordered some more stuff from APR last night. I decided to get the dog bone mount and I had to piece together a vent pod mounted boost gauge between APR and ECS. It's a shame APR doesn't produce a plug and play kit for the MK6 platform anymore. So now I have to figure out basic wiring. Wiring, even basic wiring, IS NOT my strong suit. I wish I could find a DIY for dummies for this exact gauge. I didn't really need the vent gauge, but the parts I want from specific companies are starting to dry up due to the platforms age.
Which one did you get? I installed mine about a month ago by now. I wired it so it only turns on when the lights are turned on.

·
Registered
2012 VW Golf R
837 Posts
Update: Well, I somehow managed to cross thread the bolt that goes into the subframe bushing. So much so that I can't get it back out. It is completely rounded off. The original bolt was pretty hard to get out which struck me a odd. I've taken these bolts out of both of my R32s and once I broke them loose, they just spun out with my fingers. This one...not so much. So I honestly didn't think too much about it when it didn't go back in all that easy either. That is, right up until it stopped moving. It was only then that I realized that I'd completely fxcked up the easiest job on the car. Then, while trying to get it back out, I completely rounded the head. So now I have to limp it to a shop on Thursday so they can fix my fxck up. I had to contact APR to get a new bolt which cost me another $40. I wonder just how deep I'm gonna get into this $257 mod.

GOSH, I can't wait so see just how bad I'm gonna screw up the in stall of the vent gauge! HOORAY!
We’ve all been there at one point on a vehicle. I can’t tell you how many bolts I’ve found cross threaded or bolts that break in a hard to get place. Makes for a headache but in the end I’m proud of what I’ve learned or done myself. From what I’ve been reading you’re not the only having problems with that mount.

**** happens, **** buffs out lol

·
Registered
2012 VW Golf R
837 Posts
So I haven’t done it yet but I got my fabric in that I ordered to redo my headliner and redo the shifter boot. IM hoping that this will look good with the black interior.

·
Registered
2012 VW Golf R
837 Posts
perfect time to do a flapper delete mode .. ;)
Does it really give you that much of a noticeable gain? I don’t know a whole lot about it but I’ve read a few discussions and some say they notice it and others don’t. But I guess that’s the same with stage 1 tunes some said they felt different and others didn’t.

·
Registered
2012 VW Golf R
837 Posts
Depends on the repair. If it was cosmetic for curb rash and was balance and spin tested I wouldn't mind at all. If it was re-straightened or even worse, welded, I wouldn't trust it going down my driveway.

I got a call today from my APR tuner dropped the car off on Saturday, had the tune transferred to my name from previous owner finally, it only had the 93 program so I went fully loaded with stock/91/93/100. Also had them look into my boost issue and found out why I couldn't find any problems myself and I replaced everything from the turbo outlet pipe hose up to the throttle body. They tested it, drove it and called APR..........turns out I'm on crack, according to APR the car is working normally, said it should not be boosting over the levels it is and if I ever saw it boost to 31psi something was wrong. I swear I saw the P3 readout go to 28 and up to 31 more than once back in May and June of last year but I checked my logs and don't have anything that high. I wasn't logging boost issues back then, was just data tracking ignition and IAT so data is not extensive but there you go. My wife did remember that when I first drove it after the DV change it peaked at 22 for a while until later in the drive it went up to 25 so that's probably what got me thinking about an issue.

Anyway, at least I had a good excuse to replace the panckae pipe and swap in all new hoses. LOL
Interesting, you’re running stage 3 right? I’m one IE stage 1 and my car is boosting between 23-24psi. I never really read a whole lot about these cars when I bought mine so I don’t know the stock values, I’m used to only ever boosting 8-12psi with the Jetta and passat 1.8t.

so now I’m interested to know what was stock boost on these cars?
Edit: also to clarify I’m not trying to say boost is everything. It’s just nice to know what boost numbers look like.

·
Registered
2012 VW Golf R
837 Posts
Last weekend I built my first exhaust. Used 3” piping. Looking to do a downpipe in future as I only did a catback. I also made my own Tip but I’m not willing to show it just yet, because I don’t need you guys giving me hell for my welding 😂 I just started welding about 3 weeks ago too...

·
Registered
2012 VW Golf R
837 Posts
Here's a link to a video of my exhaust. Don't hate just yet, its not completed i ordered some stuff to fix up around the exhaust tip. I like to be a little different and it was a fun challenge

·
Registered
2012 VW Golf R
837 Posts
Made a template...not really sure if I’ll go this route but I really hate how big the vw emblem is on the front

·
Registered
2012 VW Golf R
837 Posts
Thanks. I have a little project which requires some blue touch up paint. The dealer is always clueless when you give them the color name. They want either a paint code or vin.

I have an Audi TT engine cover and I want to change the TFSI to TSI and paint it in blue.

https://flic.kr/p/2m55uLq
I also need to fill in where the four rings resided. Any suggestions for a filler? I got some Bondo bumper filler which may work but the stuff is blue! So I will have to repaint the whole insert.
You could use fiberglass resin. Honestly don’t know which one would feel like more work lol

·
Registered
2012 VW Golf R
837 Posts
After about what 5-6 months of use my boost gauge stopped working last night. It only reads 35 at all times whether the engine is running or not.

Got my oil change kit in from ecs couple days ago going to get it done a little early today. Made a trip from PA to FL/AL 2 weeks ago so it’s due for a change

1 - 20 of 84 Posts