VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
15701 - 15720 of 15726 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Ooooooooh $$$$$$$ but having front and rear LSDs will be phenomenal. Are they selling the diff and bolt-in ring gear or do you have to send your rear diff in or?
It's a Mk4 R32 Wavetrac that they modify along with the diff housing. You can send them your diff and they'll modify it, but they're in Austria and the turnaround time on that is ridiculous, so I paid a core charge to get an already-built diff in half the time, and will send mine back to them when the job is done.

For anyone curious, the total for the order was €3916.66 including €291.66 shipping and €750 core charge. At today's exchange rate, that's $4655.73 Freedombux. I'm only doing it because I need a rear diff anyway, and I know I'm keeping the car for a long time to come.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Yeah, I have UM's haldex tune. They still build each diff to order, but the lead time is 6-8 weeks instead of 12-15 and I'm not without my car for 3-4 months.

Front LSD is also in the plan, and I'm doing steel shift forks, too, while the transmission is apart. But that's a project for probably next spring.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Back from repair, also due to the lower grill having broken clips, they replaced it and the replacement came with the front sensors, I plan to retrofit the parking sensors at some point in the near future. Also I heard a metal on metal sound when moving my shifter to the left like it's hitting a metal wall.

Long story short, I fixed my shifting issue by tightening the nut for the short shifter so now there is little to no play while in gear, I'll have a friend check out the sound as soon as I can, but I know it's not a gear issue, probably a bushing that I can't get to from the cabin.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Golf TDI S "Hinata", 2013 Golf R "Kaguya"
570 Posts
- Finally got around to painting the hood and fender. Just need to do some final wet sanding, polishing and see if I can align the hood a bit better. Lesson learned: hang the hood so you paint it vertically 😅

- Ordered a Sphereology shift knob from Raceseng and new OE sway bar end links.

- Replaced Intercooler hoses with silicone to match coolant lines and DV return hose. Using T-bolt clamps now

- Replaced headlight washer couplers and reservoir grommet

- Tapped power from DRLs in preparation for the GTI LED DRL headlights to go in.

- Installed Weathertech rain guards

Photograph White Black Aircraft Flash photography
White Black Black-and-white Style Shorts
Eye Black Human body Black-and-white Gesture
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Grille

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
I won't be driving it much as I'm also in the works of getting another car so the golf r will sorta be placed on the back burner
Officially made it my 'sometimes' car and brought home its sibling, the other 'sometimes' car. Hopefully 'sometimes'+'sometimes' equals 'whenever'. Some photos from this past weekend around Breckenridge and Hot Sulpher Springs for any fellow Coloradans (I know at least 3 of you on here are!).

Make no mistake, I drive the sh*t out of the golf r, it just wasn't best suited for other activites I wanted to do, it already being a pricey-to-maintain big turbo city car, e.g. risky off-roading at Ship Rock near Four Corners or beach camping at Lake Powell. Did all those with no 5th gear, fun times. 5th gear ate sh*t during non-off-road-related activities prior to those trips.

In other news, the ground control camber plates are starting to rattle again, so now debating on going back to 225/40 vs 235/40 and getting rid of them. It's the second time the inner bearings are going bad, I'm over it. Back burner details, it can wait.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Officially made it my 'sometimes' car and brought home its sibling, the other 'sometimes' car. Hopefully 'sometimes'+'sometimes' equals 'whenever'. Some photos from this past weekend around Breckenridge and Hot Sulpher Springs for any fellow Coloradans (I know at least 3 of you on here are!).
My tool for exploring the unpaved in CO
Wheel Tire Sky Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
73 Posts
I need to pick up diff fluids for both ends and gearbox fluid as well. It’s a daily that sees snow and freezing temps. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
713 Posts
I went to install those Tracksport mounts today, only to discover that about half the threads were stripped out of the holes of the engine mount-to-engine bracket, so I had to order another Time-Sert kit. These will be the 7th and 8th stripped threads I've had to repair in various spots, and it's always where a steel bolt screws into aluminum threads (the 3 hpfp bolts, two on the timing chain cover, one in the diverter valve flange). Something else to look out for as these cars get older, I guess.

Also noticed that my turbo oil drain line is kinked and frayed, so I had to order a new one of those. In all, another $300 out the door and my car is down for at least the rest of the week. But I guess that's life.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I went to install those Tracksport mounts today, only to discover that about half the threads were stripped out of the holes of the engine mount-to-engine bracket, so I had to order another Time-Sert kit. These will be the 7th and 8th stripped threads I've had to repair in various spots, and it's always where a steel bolt screws into aluminum threads (the 3 hpfp bolts, two on the timing chain cover, one in the diverter valve flange). Something else to look out for as these cars get older, I guess.

Also noticed that my turbo oil drain line is kinked and frayed, so I had to order a new one of those. In all, another $300 out the door and my car is down for at least the rest of the week. But I guess that's life.
Damn! That's not good (stripped threads). I guess it's common as cars get older they need more maintenance.

Has anyone done the threaded bar & nut conversion on their HPFP? I plan to do mine soon, but I'm trying to find a suitable roller cam follower kit. Anyone have any suggestions other than the iabed one (I can't get this locally)?

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Damn! That's not good (stripped threads). I guess it's common as cars get older they need more maintenance.

Has anyone done the threaded bar & nut conversion on their HPFP? I plan to do mine soon, but I'm trying to find a suitable roller cam follower kit. Anyone have any suggestions other than the iabed one (I can't get this locally)?

I did the threaded rod/nut kit on my previous R (totaled for hail damage). I will say that it is a more permanent solution but at the same time makes removing the pump to replace the follower much more difficult. Since you are looking at a roller follower, it seems that would not be much of an issue.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I did the threaded rod/nut kit on my previous R (totaled for hail damage). I will say that it is a more permanent solution but at the same time makes removing the pump to replace the follower much more difficult. Since you are looking at a roller follower, it seems that would not be much of an issue.
I've been told it's easier to get a spanner onto the lower nut vs getting an Allen key on the OE bolts. But I guess at the same time the HPFP needs to be slid a long way over the threaded rods.

·
Registered
713 Posts

I always use proper torque values and never used the bolts to draw the connections tight, too. I guess this is just the nature of threading steel into aluminum - it's fine as long as you don't ever have to take it apart and put it back together.

I had a stud conversion on my hpfp for a while, but the extra length of them actually made pulling the pump to check the follower a lot more difficult. I've found that Time Sert steel thread inserts are the best solution for a permanent repair.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I always use proper torque values and never used the bolts to draw the connections tight, too. I guess this is just the nature of threading steel into aluminum - it's fine as long as you don't ever have to take it apart and put it back together.

I had a stud conversion on my hpfp for a while, but the extra length of them actually made pulling the pump to check the follower a lot more difficult. I've found that Time Sert steel thread inserts are the best solution for a permanent repair.
Ah..if that's the case I might leave the rod/nut conversion and just do a Roller cam follower conversion.

·
Registered
2012 VW Golf R
771 Posts
Hand Gadget Communication Device Finger Automotive tire
Got it running ran up the road, ran in town and back 5 miles ish. Now headed to work this keeps popping damn vw

15701 - 15720 of 15726 Posts