VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
15821 - 15840 of 16170 Posts

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
It’s nice to see everyone enjoying their R’s lol… driving to work this morning and now my throttle body doesn’t work. So ordered a new one…
Make sure it isn't just the connector to the throttle body and is the throttle body itself. Apparently some VWs have an issue with the wires or connector getting worn out or something. I bought pieces to do a repair when I had TB problems but it ended up being something else and never used the pieces to fix the connector.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
That would be cool. I wonder how much work that is in terms of control modules and VCDS coding, assuming it even bolts up.

The issue with our rear diff not having an off-the-shelf LSD option is the ring gear. The Mk4's ring gear was bolted on, so it was easy to swap out the diff. Starting with the Mk5, they welded the ring gear on in the rear, so you have to swap out the whole assembly.

There's been some interest over the years in group buys from Wavetrac or MFactory, but the same thing happened with it that always happens with this type of thing - the whole forum was in love with the idea, but everyone went silent when it came time to put up the cash for it.

IIRC Power Zone's solution came from one of their machinists figuring out how to fit the Mk4 wavetrac into his TTRS in his spare time. Then they decided to offer them built to order.
Oh yeah you 100% correct! I actually live down the street from MFactory in SoCal and we corresponded about this very topic in January. They planned to do a run but the guys who said would put up money for the development of one had Wavetrack swoop in and take their money. According to MFactory, Wavetrack found out they couldn't do it cause of the ring gear and abandoned the project. MFactory was so ticked off cause they had everything ready to go, that when everyone jumped ship it left a serious bad taste in their mouths. So much so they just flat refuse to move forward. I told them I got cash in hand and since I'm local I'll hand deliver my diff with cash and they told me to pound sand. Quite frankly I don't blame them. As a result I'm going to need to get in contact with Power Zone cause I need a rear diff in my MK6 to match my MK4.:R32. Where is Power Zone located and what is the turnaround time?

Reactions: Puttguy

·
Registered
839 Posts
Yeah, I remember that. A few of us tried to get it going with MFactory again (there's a thread over on golfmk6 about it), but they needed 15-20 committed buyers to make it happen. Not surprising that they PFO'd you for one diff - their manufacturing facility is in Taiwan and setup costs for something like this are absolutely massive - you'd probably end up paying $20k for that one diff.

Power Zone is in Austria, and they offer a few options - you can send them your diff to be modified, or buy one from them and return yours as a core, or buy one from them and keep your old one. If you send them your existing diff, they say turnaround time is 8-12 weeks from the time they receive it. If you have them send you one, lead time is 6-8 weeks. I went with option 2 because I can't be without my car for 3+ months; I placed the order on Sept 8, and as of Oct 5 they said it was about 3 weeks away, so I should have it around the end of this month.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Yeah, I remember that. A few of us tried to get it going with MFactory again (there's a thread over on golfmk6 about it), but they needed 15-20 committed buyers to make it happen. Not surprising that they PFO'd you for one diff - their manufacturing facility is in Taiwan and setup costs for something like this are absolutely massive - you'd probably end up paying $20k for that one diff.

Power Zone is in Austria, and they offer a few options - you can send them your diff to be modified, or buy one from them and return yours as a core, or buy one from them and keep your old one. If you send them your existing diff, they say turnaround time is 8-12 weeks from the time they receive it. If you have them send you one, lead time is 6-8 weeks. I went with option 2 because I can't be without my car for 3+ months; I placed the order on Sept 8, and as of Oct 5 they said it was about 3 weeks away, so I should have it around the end of this month.
Good deal! All those options work for me cause the monster full send build is not going to happen till like March at the earliest. Plus I also have a MK4.:R32 I have not driven in 2 years. Once my .:R32 is transformed the GoRf is next. Also I'm pulling the motor to be fully rebuilt so the car will be down for sometime anyways.

Reactions: Puttguy

·
Registered
2012 VW Golf R
836 Posts
Hand Automotive tire Finger Nickel Thumb
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Finger Automotive wheel system
Cleaning up some connections. Followed every wire in the bay I could. Checked wires going to ECU from what I can tell no fraying, burning, no animal nests or bites. But the pictured items go to relay box and this is the only wire with oxidation on them. Cleaned it up for now.

·
Registered
Carbon steel grey mk6R
240 Posts
Found a couple shift knob ideas. One is a golf ball style for a mk1-3. The other is a bmx hand grip. But it’s threaded for a Miata. Makes me wonder what the diameter of the shift lever actually is. Perhaps I could use a die and put threads on it. I could also make my own setup at work if I get spare time.

·
Registered
839 Posts
By odd coincidence, I happened to have my shift knob and boot off the car today, so I got out my digital caliper - the shift lever is 12.5mm It's not uniformly round at the top though, so I'm not sure threading it will work. BFI sells this adapter that can probably be made to work depending on what threads you need.

·
Registered
Carbon steel grey mk6R
240 Posts
Was hoping it was 10mm no way I’d be able to thread it for an m10x1.25.

Looks like the hunt continues

·
Registered
2012 VW Golf R
836 Posts
Got the new throttle body installed yesterday after work. Drove over 100 miles. Seems to be good so far.

·
Registered
2012 VW Golf R
836 Posts
Well back to the same ****. Can’t go over 8 mph throwing 8 codes, most of them with throttle body. I hate this car with a passion now

·
Registered
Carbon steel grey mk6R
240 Posts
It’s gotta be the wiring, probably chafed and shorting somewhere

·
Registered
2013 Mk6 Golf R. IE tune stage 1, ECS intake
33 Posts
Do you work for Tyrolsport by any chance? Jokes!
Being serious though, will it make the same difference on a DSG car?

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk
Lol, not the first time I’ve heard that. I am very attentive when it comes to my cars, especially after installs. This one was pretty obvious to me after a couple drives.
It should - the issue with the subframe doesn't have anything to do with the transmission. I didn't notice any difference when I installed the deadset kit, but my subframe wasn't making any noise either. It's worthwhile to never have to worry about it.
I agree- I bought these just as insurance not expecting any sort of upgrade of anything and was surprised by what I found.
Nah, not really. Bronze is less likely than steel to widen the holes in the aluminum subframe, but I don't know how much of an issue that really is. Tyrol are the ones who invented the solution though, plus they use custom ARP bolts in the rear subframe holes. If that stuff doesn't matter to you, then any of the collar kits out there will do the job.

It should go without saying at this point, but make sure you get new bolts for the control arm bushing housings and subframe mounting legs.
Bronze is less likely to bore the hole out than a steel collar, but nobody makes one of those- the other options are aluminum. Bronze acts as a better shock absorber than aluminum, and it may leach a lubricating agent over time to keep bolts from seizing depending on what type of bronze was used. I’m a machinist

·
Registered
2013 Mk6 Golf R. IE tune stage 1, ECS intake
33 Posts
Bronze is less likely to bore the hole out than a steel collar, but nobody makes one of those- the other options are aluminum. Bronze acts as a better shock absorber than aluminum, and it may leach a lubricating agent over time to keep bolts from seizing depending on what type of bronze was used. I’m a machinist
I stand corrected, 034 makes one of stainless. ECS uses aluminum among others

·
Registered
2012 VW Golf R
836 Posts
Called and scheduled an appointment for it today… It’s going to a VW dealership next Monday.

·
Registered
Carbon steel grey mk6R
240 Posts
Did my haldex service on Sunday.
My filter was awful looking. Glad I got it done before winter. Now sitting at hospital for a possible kidney stone or infection 😢

·
Registered
Carbon steel grey mk6R
240 Posts
Cool. Looks like I’m on the mend. Thank goodness I have insurance, dunno how much they’ve dinged me for. But yeah, take care of yourselves. It’s easy to get caught up in stuff and let your health slip.

Still trying to piece out a build plan for the car

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Cool. Looks like I’m on the mend. Thank goodness I have insurance, dunno how much they’ve dinged me for. But yeah, take care of yourselves. It’s easy to get caught up in stuff and let your health slip.

Still trying to piece out a build plan for the car
Hope you get well soon! And only thing I can say about a build plan is take your time and determine what you want and what you like, I went the route of 1+ and an intake then switched to OEM+ Mods that I knew would be harder to get later in my cars life, and that Performance Mods would get better in time :), my next steps are probably going to be Finishing up some OEM Mods, and start piecing together my suspension parts, and maybe finally get my HRE's repaired. Get my car driving smooth and straight, before I up the performance over the next couple of years :) also going to get the newer TTS 4pot brakes and DBA Rotors at some point unless I just get some new pads to hold me over for now

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

15821 - 15840 of 16170 Posts