VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
2721 - 2740 of 25561 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
LED turning lights installed, the regular halogen bulbs were bothering me, easy install
Before

After

And reverse light LED bulb

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Thoughts on this plan or would you all have some things moved around a bit?

Performance Upgrades Planning:

Currently Installed:
VWR 600 Intake
APR Boost Gauge

Next Week
ECS Stance Enahnce for 19" OEM Wheels
-VWR Springs
-Spacers

First Round: (October)
Go Fast Bits DV+ Diverter Valve Upgrade
Oil Catch Can
yellowstuff Brake Pads
Larger front and rear rotors?
Intercooler from Wagner or some other place

Second Round: (November)
Eurodyne Tune 1.5
Suplen Dog Bone Engine Mount Kit
Spulen MQB Intake Coolant Hose
VW R-Line Sway bar (front & rear)

Third Round: (December)
APR DSG TCU Tune
Fluidampr Engine Damper from USP

Fourth Round: (Some time next year)
Downpipe, Stage II

=========

I don't want to add more power without first getting the equipment that supports the additional power and I think this list will basically allow me to add power responsibly. I may even hold off on the EuroDyne until December when DSG and the Engine Damper are installed.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts

Currently Installed:
VWR 600 Intake
APR Boost Gauge

Next Week
-VWR Springs
-Spacers

Oil Catch Can
yellowstuff Brake Pads

Eurodyne Tune 1.5

APR DSG TCU Tune

Downpipe, Stage II

=========

I don't want to add more power without first getting the equipment that supports the additional power and I think this list will basically allow me to add power responsibly. I may even hold off on the EuroDyne until December when DSG and the Engine Damper are installed.
You need to be careful not to confuse performance and aesthetics (e.g. spacers). Also be wary of the effect certain performance mods will have on comfort (e.g. engine mount kit). Also I wouldn't mix one company's TCU tune with another's ECU (that might just be my preference however). While I'm enjoying your reviews, I sometimes get the impression you're firing from the hip. For instance, do you know why you want the Fluidampr?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
You need to be careful not to confuse performance and aesthetics (e.g. spacers). Also be wary of the effect certain performance mods will have on comfort (e.g. engine mount kits, engine dampers). Also I wouldn't mix one company's TCU tune with another's ECU (that might just be my preference however). While I'm enjoying your reviews, I sometimes get the impression you're firing from the hip.
Thanks for the feedback. I assumed Spacers would add a bit of handling since they are making the footprint wider by a few mm.

As for the rest, that's why I'm asking for feedback here before going forward with other changes. Feedback so i can make better buying decisions.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I assumed Spacers would add a bit of handling since they are making the footprint wider by a few mm.

As for the rest, that's why I'm asking for feedback here before going forward with other changes. Feedback so i can make better buying decisions.
A wider footprint is only as good as the suspension supporting it. Spacers just provide a a more flush look and alter the OE offset.

http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/2011/04/wheel-tech-part-ii-size-matters/

·
Registered
4,063 Posts

Currently Installed:
VWR 600 Intake
APR Boost Gauge

Next Week
-VWR Springs
-Spacers

Oil Catch Can
yellowstuff Brake Pads

Eurodyne Tune 1.5

APR DSG TCU Tune

Downpipe, Stage II

=========

I've heard pretty terrible reviews of ebc pads and personally wouldn't install those.

Why do the catch can? Is there any proof it is useful or needed?

I wouldn't touch the brakes (size) on the car unless you are going full BBK.

Unless you are trying to correct a suspension/handling problem do not install sways. This car doesn't have any body roll (compared to other cars) stock and if you stiffen the sways too much and aren't ready for the alterations in handling which aren't always improvements you could find your shiny new r wrapped around a tree or on a guard rail.

I'm not sure why you are looking at the fluidamper but I don't K of much about that mod.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts

My understanding on the spacers is you will more likely exaggerate the FWD aspects of the handling when pushing the car hard (understeer)

·
Registered
136 Posts
The dp sounds nice. It sounds as though the tcu tune may not be worth it after all. If you have any further input later on that would be great.
Edited OP after I spent more time with the new software. It's not so bad.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Clowning around with grille

just installed the black emblem (no pic yet), still undecided vs chrome default. Can't wait to black out the chrome footer strip too.

Also, ordered my Forgestar F14 18x8.5. I got a bad crush on 1UBERVW.. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts

just installed the black emblem (no pic yet), still undecided vs chrome default. Can't wait to black out the chrome footer strip too.

I love that mod ! Great job !
Did you paint the emblem background and the chrome stripes or you bought them like that ? If yes tell us where is's amazing !
Thanks

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Hopefully I'm not boring anyone with the updates, but just got my ship notification on the Billy boat dp. Was told the ship would be end of week and it looks like I'll get it by Friday!

Made to order dp in a day? Yes please, good on Billy boat and etek tuning for hooking it up.

May install this weekend.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I love that mod ! Great job !
Did you paint the emblem background and the chrome stripes or you bought them like that ? If yes tell us where is's amazing !
Thanks
I disassembled the various grille pieces (see 2nd pic) and individually vinyl wrapped the emblem housing (gloss black) and horizontal inserts (satin mystique blue). The same blue went down on top of the main grill assm (pic 1,2) - it's just a circle of vinyl laid down (under) the emblem, with holes poked into it to allow the emblem to pop back in.

But jeez the clips on this thing. One screw, thirty-odd clips. Took me an hour to pop it apart, being careful not to break any of them.

I'll post again when i get more done- I'm considering putting the stealth PPF on the vinyl to maybe get it to closer match my overall finish. :). Good luck!

Ps. Vinyl is all 3M 1080 series and available on AMZN in small amounts.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts

Currently Installed:
VWR 600 Intake
APR Boost Gauge

Next Week
-VWR Springs
-Spacers

Oil Catch Can
yellowstuff Brake Pads

Eurodyne Tune 1.5

APR DSG TCU Tune

Downpipe, Stage II

=========

I personally think that your round 1 can be skipped altogether - I had some redstuff pads once, I will never use any of them again. The eat rotors fast. BOV is snakeoil IMO until you maybe make some huge boost. I'd wait for the IC until your are stage 2. I see no reason for a catch can on the MK7 but that's just me. All the Spulen hoses just seem like a waste of time and effort - they provide nothing IMO. I would personally go with one company for ECU and TCU tune, but again that's just me. Fluid damper seems like snake oil too to me. Your mods seem to be solutions looking for problems - that is they are not worth the time or effort IMO. Good thing you don't have the turbo muffler delete in there too, another wasted mod.

I would do the springs like you have planned, then do stage 2 and TCU. From there, see what needs doing. I think you'll find some of the things you are planning aren't needed. I also agree with the above, either do a BBK or just get some good street pads - there is nothing wrong with the stock pads for the street BTW. Although, if you are bent on doing front and rear sway bars you should do them when you do the stage 2 downpipe as you need to drop the subframe, you can kill 2 birds with one stone.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
I personally think that your round 1 can be skipped altogether - I had some redstuff pads once, I will never use any of them again. The eat rotors fast. BOV is snakeoil IMO until you maybe make some huge boost. I'd wait for the IC until your are stage 2. I see no reason for a catch can on the MK7 but that's just me. All the Spulen hoses just seem like a waste of time and effort - they provide nothing IMO. I would personally go with one company for ECU and TCU tune, but again that's just me. Fluid damper seems like snake oil too to me. Your mods seem to be solutions looking for problems - that is they are not worth the time or effort IMO. Good thing you don't have the turbo muffler delete in there too, another wasted mod.

I would do the springs like you have planned, then do stage 2 and TCU. From there, see what needs doing. I think you'll find some of the things you are planning aren't needed. I also agree with the above, either do a BBK or just get some good street pads - there is nothing wrong with the stock pads for the street BTW. Although, if you are bent on doing front and rear sway bars you should do them when you do the stage 2 downpipe as you need to drop the subframe, you can kill 2 birds with one stone.
Great advice and exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

·
Registered
545 Posts

Wow, nice work! How is the 3M Wrap to work with, relatively easy? I'd like to do the grille chrome strip and the aluminum footer strip as well.

2721 - 2740 of 25561 Posts