VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I installed a hood strut:

The hardest part was after I installed it I realized I couldn’t lift the hood up an inch to get the stupid prop rod out. 🤦‍♂️
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

I also just joined the atlantic blue hood strut gang. :cool:

And I did the exact same thing with the prop rod!

Does your hood sorta bounce violently at the end of travel? Like when you lift the hood halfway and let the strut auto-open it the rest of the way…my strut seems very enthusiastic and then stops very abruptly. Maybe some dust and pollen will get in there eventually and add some friction so it can’t build so much momentum...lol

Idk if this is common knowledge or not, but for anybody installing one of these, check to see if you have clearance between the strut and the coolant hose that runs off the front of the expansion tank. I had to slightly rotate the hose clockwise on mine so that the strut wasn’t hitting it when the hood was closed. Idk if it would really cause a problem long term but my strut definitely was bonking into the hose and forcing it downward an inch or so every time I closed the hood; better safe than sorry IMO.

edit: whoopsies, my vin was showing, reuploaded pic

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
What are you going to do when/if the new engine covers are sent out to everybody? I like the strut and was thinking about buying one as well, but it looks like the bottom connects to one of the engine cover mounts
It does not connect to an engine cover mount, which are plastic, it’s really nowhere near them. Those are sticking straight up from the cam girdle and the intake manifold (one between coil packs on cyls 1 & 2, one to the right of coil pack #4, two on the manifold). The strut connects to a metal mount point on the frame back toward the cowl that looks like it was put there specifically for a hood strut.

Also…my car was sold to me without an engine cover and I would honestly be shocked if VW decided to give me one, even after a fix is in. Why would they? I already bought the car. They might start shipping new cars with them again but I doubt the rest of us will get them (for free anyway, watch them try to sell em as an accessory).

It’s fine, the one out of my mk7 works well enough.

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

I kid, I kid. 😉

The mounting point I used is circled in red.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did you try to remove the yellow clip for the hood prop? It looks to be a snap in easy but hard to remove without breaking kind of dealie.
I haven’t, I decided to quit while I was ahead on that particular day, but I may give it a whirl. Maybe a little kiss from a heat gun before prying will make it more amenable, but yeah I expect to break it lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Got Tobias ceramic coated at 1600 miles. Detailer had to do stage 2 in some areas due to dealer-installed scratches and one good sized scuff on the mirror cap that I didn’t expect to buff out. No idea if the scuff was there when I took delivery and I missed it, I only noticed it after I got the car home (200 mile drive with no stops).

The detailer also pointed out a couple of likely factory paint defects and I’m now trying to decide if they’re worth making a warranty claim and accepting a repaint on the hatch. There‘s a roughly 4”x4” patch below one of the tail lights with dozens of white or silver flecks in the paint or between paint and clear coat, and another area above the same tail light where the texture is noticeably rough and slightly raised (not sure if it is better described as orange peel or bubbling, I don’t know a ton about paint).

Since the hatch always gets instantly dusty it’s one of those ‘you’ll never see it on a trottin’ horse’ situations, as my mother would say. I’ll mention it at the service appointment I have coming up but I’m not hugely bothered by the flecks at least.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Automotive side-view mirror Mirror Vehicle Car Plant

It took a couple of months to get here (I was forewarned), but I finally got a set of OEM euro side mirrors yesterday from DAP.

I really missed having these.

Next up: figure out if the winter wheel / tire setup from my mk7 golf will fit…they’re super cheap discount tire house brand wheels with an offset of 38. (17x7.5 with blizzak 225 / 45 ws90’s, so height should be similar to the OEM 18” setup, but the offset’s not quite ideal). If they’re gonna stick out too far and rub the fenders, my partner will inheret a free winter setup for his golf tdi, and maybe I get to go wheel shopping.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Plant Automotive lighting

Installed a hatch sill guard ppf situation to try and keep the bumper safe from my hockey bag…not bad for $30 and installing in a dusty garage. Zero bubbles, I’m kind of shocked.

I wanted an aftermarket bumperdillo clone like I had on my mk7 but I couldn’t find anything half decent that wasn’t backordered. I decided I like this just fine, it covers more than the bumperdillo anyway.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, where'd you source the material/cut from? I'd like to get some clear on the sill. Did you cut it by hand?
I am a ppf n00b so no, I did not cut it myself. I ordered it here on Etsy, of all places. That particular seller is in the UK so it took a few weeks to get to me. They have a clear one available, I went with the textured black.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Plant Speedometer Car Steering part Hood

I have joined the R flappy paddle gang, this is how the car should have come from the factory IMO.

Surprisingly easy install too, didn’t take long despite only having the service manual’s vague instructions and a single youtube video to go off of. No airbag mishaps, obviously. 😎

$74 on eBay including tax and shipping from Hungary, which somehow only took a week to get here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
was it volkswizards video? I'm also looking to do the same thing as my current paddle extensions adhesive is failing.
Yep! Sure was.

I found this video very helpful as well, it gives a good look at exactly how / which direction to pry the metal bars to get the airbag module out in the first place. That was the only part I was a little baffled by at first, everything else was pretty straightforward.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts