VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Vendor
mk8 GTI 6MT, 997.1 6MT
9,022 Posts
What size tire?
The tires are Michelin X-Ice winter tires in 225/50-17. They have an OD slightly taller than the stock 225/40-18 but I compared GPS to the speedo and get an actual 46mph at an indicated 45mph which is okay by me. The wheels are Sport Edition P2 in Anthracite sized 17x7.5 with 45mm offset.

If the tires are brand new, there's probably manufacturing mold release residue that needs to be worn off the tread. That would contribute to excessive wheelspin. A few hundred miles of driving will clear it off.
These were used tires. They grip fine for what they are, I am just used to summer performance tires on the GTI so these have less grip on warm dry roads by design,

·
Vendor
mk8 GTI 6MT, 997.1 6MT
9,022 Posts
Okay, if I chose to keep factory wheels and put 225/45/18 X-Ice snow on it, would it be okay?

I am on fence on between 17" and 18" and I plan to get new 18" x 9" apex sm-10 as summer setup next year.
I can't guarantee that 225/45-18 would be happy but it seems likely. I like using this site to compare sizes:

You may want to turn your wheels to each lock and run your hand around them to make sure there's a finger worth of clearance and you should be fine. I personally like having a complete set of wheels/tires to swap (especially the smallest ones that will fit the brakes) and used ones can be a very good bargain.

·
Vendor
mk8 GTI 6MT, 997.1 6MT
9,022 Posts
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

I installed a hood strut:

“A product you shouldn't need, but do!” Indeed!

The hardest part was after I installed it I realized I couldn’t lift the hood up an inch to get the stupid prop rod out. 🤦‍♂️

I normally wouldn’t buy such a trivial mod but VW’s decontenting is pretty cynical, plus I open the hood all the time to put the car on “shore power” while scanning it.

·
Vendor
mk8 GTI 6MT, 997.1 6MT
9,022 Posts
Does your hood sorta bounce violently at the end of travel? Like when you lift the hood halfway and let the strut auto-open it the rest of the way…my strut seems very enthusiastic and then stops very abruptly. Maybe some dust and pollen will get in there eventually and add some friction so it can’t build so much momentum...lol
Mine bounces a bit if I let it go before the top but nothing extreme. I like how I can let go of the hood about 2/3 down and gravity closes it nicely. Did you try to remove the yellow clip for the hood prop? It looks to be a snap in easy but hard to remove without breaking kind of dealie.

·
Vendor
mk8 GTI 6MT, 997.1 6MT
9,022 Posts
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Grille

Automotive parking light Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Today I modified my GTI with packing tape to keep future rain out because a guy in an Acura MDX went flying down the wrong side of the road and smashed my mailbox (possibly into the car?), car, and several road signs. The headlight is cracked in many places, the hood is mangled, maybe a corner of the fender and possibly bumper damage. Luckily he stopped and the police gave me a report including the driver’s insurance info so I already filed a claim. Just the headlight looks like $900 ish. The good news is the hood strut still works. And the radiator zip ties are intact with no radiator wiggle at all. 😀👍

1 - 6 of 6 Posts