VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
341 - 360 of 390 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
View attachment 216739
I test fit snows (actually did this a few days ago). They fit fine but there's wheelspin from a roll in 2nd gear now, I need to be careful and not ruin their future snow abilities. Sport Edition 17s with Michelin X-Ice.
If the tires are brand new, there's probably manufacturing mold release residue that needs to be worn off the tread. That would contribute to excessive wheelspin. A few hundred miles of driving will clear it off.

·
Vendor
mk8 GTI 6MT, 997.1 6MT
15,502 Posts
What size tire?
The tires are Michelin X-Ice winter tires in 225/50-17. They have an OD slightly taller than the stock 225/40-18 but I compared GPS to the speedo and get an actual 46mph at an indicated 45mph which is okay by me. The wheels are Sport Edition P2 in Anthracite sized 17x7.5 with 45mm offset.

If the tires are brand new, there's probably manufacturing mold release residue that needs to be worn off the tread. That would contribute to excessive wheelspin. A few hundred miles of driving will clear it off.
These were used tires. They grip fine for what they are, I am just used to summer performance tires on the GTI so these have less grip on warm dry roads by design,

·
Premium Member
‘22 OWP GTI SE DSG w/ Blk Wheel/Leather
2,426 Posts
The tires are Michelin X-Ice winter tires in 225/50-17. They have an OD slightly taller than the stock 225/40-18 but I compared GPS to the speedo and get an actual 46mph at an indicated 45mph which is okay by me. The wheels are Sport Edition P2 in Anthracite sized 17x7.5 with 45mm offset.

These were used tires. They grip fine for what they are, I am just used to summer performance tires on the GTI so these have less grip on warm dry roads by design,

Okay, if I chose to keep factory wheels and put 225/45/18 X-Ice snow on it, would it be okay?

I am on fence on between 17" and 18" and I plan to get new 18" x 9" apex sm-10 as summer setup next year.

·
Vendor
mk8 GTI 6MT, 997.1 6MT
15,502 Posts
Okay, if I chose to keep factory wheels and put 225/45/18 X-Ice snow on it, would it be okay?

I am on fence on between 17" and 18" and I plan to get new 18" x 9" apex sm-10 as summer setup next year.
I can't guarantee that 225/45-18 would be happy but it seems likely. I like using this site to compare sizes:

You may want to turn your wheels to each lock and run your hand around them to make sure there's a finger worth of clearance and you should be fine. I personally like having a complete set of wheels/tires to swap (especially the smallest ones that will fit the brakes) and used ones can be a very good bargain.

·
Vendor
mk8 GTI 6MT, 997.1 6MT
15,502 Posts
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

I installed a hood strut:

“A product you shouldn't need, but do!” Indeed!

The hardest part was after I installed it I realized I couldn’t lift the hood up an inch to get the stupid prop rod out. 🤦‍♂️

I normally wouldn’t buy such a trivial mod but VW’s decontenting is pretty cynical, plus I open the hood all the time to put the car on “shore power” while scanning it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I installed a hood strut:

The hardest part was after I installed it I realized I couldn’t lift the hood up an inch to get the stupid prop rod out. 🤦‍♂️
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

I also just joined the atlantic blue hood strut gang. :cool:

And I did the exact same thing with the prop rod!

Does your hood sorta bounce violently at the end of travel? Like when you lift the hood halfway and let the strut auto-open it the rest of the way…my strut seems very enthusiastic and then stops very abruptly. Maybe some dust and pollen will get in there eventually and add some friction so it can’t build so much momentum...lol

Idk if this is common knowledge or not, but for anybody installing one of these, check to see if you have clearance between the strut and the coolant hose that runs off the front of the expansion tank. I had to slightly rotate the hose clockwise on mine so that the strut wasn’t hitting it when the hood was closed. Idk if it would really cause a problem long term but my strut definitely was bonking into the hose and forcing it downward an inch or so every time I closed the hood; better safe than sorry IMO.

edit: whoopsies, my vin was showing, reuploaded pic

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
View attachment 217476

I also just joined the atlantic blue hood strut gang. :cool:

And I did the exact same thing with the prop rod!

Does your hood sorta bounce violently at the end of travel? Like when you lift the hood halfway and let the strut auto-open it the rest of the way…my strut seems very enthusiastic and then stops very abruptly. Maybe some dust and pollen will get in there eventually and add some friction so it can’t build so much momentum...lol

Idk if this is common knowledge or not, but for anybody installing one of these, check to see if you have clearance between the strut and the coolant hose that runs off the front of the expansion tank. I had to slightly rotate the hose clockwise on mine so that the strut wasn’t hitting it when the hood was closed. Idk if it would really cause a problem long term but my strut definitely was bonking into the hose and forcing it downward an inch or so every time I closed the hood; better safe than sorry IMO.
What are you going to do when/if the new engine covers are sent out to everybody? I like the strut and was thinking about buying one as well, but it looks like the bottom connects to one of the engine cover mounts

·
Registered
5 Posts
What are you going to do when/if the new engine covers are sent out to everybody? I like the strut and was thinking about buying one as well, but it looks like the bottom connects to one of the engine cover mounts
It does not connect to an engine cover mount, which are plastic, it’s really nowhere near them. Those are sticking straight up from the cam girdle and the intake manifold (one between coil packs on cyls 1 & 2, one to the right of coil pack #4, two on the manifold). The strut connects to a metal mount point on the frame back toward the cowl that looks like it was put there specifically for a hood strut.

Also…my car was sold to me without an engine cover and I would honestly be shocked if VW decided to give me one, even after a fix is in. Why would they? I already bought the car. They might start shipping new cars with them again but I doubt the rest of us will get them (for free anyway, watch them try to sell em as an accessory).

It’s fine, the one out of my mk7 works well enough.

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

I kid, I kid. 😉

The mounting point I used is circled in red.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
It does not connect to an engine cover mount, which are plastic, it’s really nowhere near them. Those are sticking straight up from the cam girdle and the intake manifold (one between coil packs on cyls 1 & 2, one to the right of coil pack #4, two on the manifold). The strut connects to a metal mount point on the frame back toward the cowl that looks like it was put there specifically for a hood strut.

Also…my car was sold to me without an engine cover and I would honestly be shocked if VW decided to give me one, even after a fix is in. Why would they? I already bought the car. They might start shipping new cars with them again but I doubt the rest of us will get them (for free anyway, watch them try to sell em as an accessory).

It’s fine, the one out of my mk7 works well enough.

View attachment 217513

I kid, I kid. 😉

The mounting point I used is circled in red.
Ah, I just assumed that was a mount point for the engine cover, thanks for the clarification. Mine didn't come with a cover either but I'm hopeful we eventually get one. I don't usually care about engine aesthetics, but the engine bay just looks messy without it and, for now, I refuse to spend my own money on a solely cosmetic item under the hood...

·
Vendor
mk8 GTI 6MT, 997.1 6MT
15,502 Posts
Mine bounces a bit if I let it go before the top but nothing extreme. I like how I can let go of the hood about 2/3 down and gravity closes it nicely. Did you try to remove the yellow clip for the hood prop? It looks to be a snap in easy but hard to remove without breaking kind of dealie.

·
Registered
2022 VW GTI S 6MT
3 Posts
Had PPF added to the hood, bumper, headlights, mirrors, pillars, and door/hatch appliqués. Topped it off with two layers of ceramic coating. Also added tinting to all windows except the windshield. (Still trying to decide what level of tinting to do on the windshield)
Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Cloud

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you try to remove the yellow clip for the hood prop? It looks to be a snap in easy but hard to remove without breaking kind of dealie.
I haven’t, I decided to quit while I was ahead on that particular day, but I may give it a whirl. Maybe a little kiss from a heat gun before prying will make it more amenable, but yeah I expect to break it lol.

·
Registered
2022 GTI SE MG
348 Posts
Had PPF added to the hood, bumper, headlights, mirrors, pillars, and door/hatch appliqués. Topped it off with two layers of ceramic coating. Also added tinting to all windows except the windshield. (Still trying to decide what level of tinting to do on the windshield)
View attachment 218099
I’m getting 70% 3M Crystaline on the windshield. Think 60% would look good too but you’ll start getting an amber hue to the tint that might not work. 70% has a slight blue hue, almost unnoticeable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
341 - 360 of 390 Posts