VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
361 - 380 of 390 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not today, but on Sunday. I finally mounted my solution to avoid simply using self tapping screws into the bumper to mount the license plate. I've never been a fan of self tappers right into the plastic and I also hate having the license plate sitting directly on the paint, this solution solves both of those issues. If anyone is interested in details let me know, I would be happy to do a quick write up including where I picked everything up at.

Would mind sharing the details on where you purchased the license plate bracket? I'd like to do the same to my car.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Would mind sharing the details on where you purchased the license plate bracket? I'd like to do the same to my car.

Thanks in advance.
Yeah absolutely!

I sourced the plate bracket and acorn nuts to secure the plate from FCP Euro. It’s actually a Volvo plate bracket, but I can’t take any credit here as I’ve seen this done on a Mk7 before. Here is a link to the plate bracket:

All of the hardware I picked up at Lowes. The two well nuts are lowes item number 137174

You will need some 10 - 24 button head stainless hex key screws. I can’t find the exact ones I bought online, but something like this:

And then lastly I used some nylon washers between the screws and plate bracket. Only reason for going with nylon was because my Lowes was out of stock of stainless washers. Something like this:

Of course you could source these parts from any hardware store, but Lowes was local and convenient to me.

The process is fairly simple, take very careful measurements to find the center line of the car and the center height wise of the plate recess area. Based on the plate bracket itself you can mark where your holes will be drilled for the well nuts. I started with a 1/16” and slowly worked my way up to 3/8”. The rest is simple, install the well nuts, install the plate bracket and there you go!

My best piece of advice is using the license plate lights to find the center line of the car. Based on my measurements (but please do your own!) the light housings are exactly 6” apart, so at a measurement of 3” off of either one that is the center line of the car. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Okay, if I chose to keep factory wheels and put 225/45/18 X-Ice snow on it, would it be okay?

I am on fence on between 17" and 18" and I plan to get new 18" x 9" apex sm-10 as summer setup next year.
You'll be fine! I test fitted my set up yesterday, zero rubbing. Which is identical to what you're looking at. Only difference is I'm on Blizzaks.

·
Registered
2022 Golf GTI SE Kings Red
100 Posts
Installed a full MST intake and the new APR turbo muffler delete...

Intake was easy breezy... that delete is an actual spawn of Satan... awkward angles, super tight spaces and bolts that have no traction for your fingers...if you drop one PRAY it hits the ground. never again on that mess.

·
Registered
382 Posts
The red continued striping across the headlights look great, I've been thinking of doing it myself. Do you know if the decal is okay to go into car washes?
It should be fine especially if you give it some heat from a hair dryer/heat gun or a few days in warm sun. I have not had an issue with any badgeskins while washing and I wash on average every other week. As far as bang for the buck, I think the red stripe has one of the most profound positive visual enhancements. It will look fantastic on dolphin gray!

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
Updated pics. I keep all my mod info here - MK8 GTI

New mods:
aerofabb front splitter
aerofabb side splitter
OEM Clubsport/R spoiler
Maxton Design V2 spoiler cap
Euro taillight

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tail & brake light

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire