VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
10201 - 10220 of 10433 Posts

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
An angel let float down a mk1 steering column bearing support.

I thought to myself yea but that hose clamp had been holding fine for a decade!

I touched it and it immediately fell off.

What perfect timing.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
I also worked on my leaking valve cover.
An unwinnable fight with the ahu and it’s 3 bolts.

I removed it, cleaned the leak, and added some washers so it can tighten down a little further.

Even with a new gasket and sealant in every surface it still left a lil trail down the head.

I further cleaned things up and did my bi-annual engine re-clear coating. Amazed my part is spray paint can went through winter outside and worked perfectly to the end.

And I ask myself: dare-I reindex my throttle, looking at my max fuel screw it’s been two full threads further in at least!

With the variable turbo I have been able to get great power with turbo boost rather than fueling.

Ahhhh I’ll leave that one for a nice summer or spring day.

She’s still a lil frosty but I’m about to take her out on a drive :)

Happy motoring, anyone else picking away at their mk1 in the dead of winter?

Mokoosh is deep in surgery with an original tailgate!

·
Registered
1985 VW Cabriolet
2,539 Posts
Nice job on the steering bearing.
I put new rubber pads on my pedals
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Grey

I am also working on plaining some local spalted maple to turn an old wolfsburg wheel into a fancy custom wood wheel.

Wood Wood stain Machine tool Floor Flooring

Automotive tire Crankset Saw Wood Bicycle part

Wood Shelving Luggage and bags Tire Shelf

Blue Wood Luggage and bags Gas Bag

also i forget if i posted that i painted my door cards. So hopefully this isnt a repeat

Car Vehicle Window Motor vehicle Steering wheel

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
That interior looks gorgeous!
The black accents add a lot to the door cards.

Nice job on the wood work.
I want to make my own custom low profile dashboard out of a single log one of these days.

I was feeling so glad after my nice drive with no more leaky valve cover,cleaned interior.

Turbo scooting me along like there’s no tomorrow,

My nice solid steering column, my working various electrical doo-dads

Why, I had to let myself get a little carried away and caught a little air on the way home.

As a wise man once declared “these are time machines”

And he was not wrong.

·
Registered
1985 VW Cabriolet
2,539 Posts
Yeah there is something about these cars that are addicting. They are very fun to drive too. I miss my diesel caddy. But love my recent cabriolet project. Itching to finally find a house so that I can finish my air ride install.

Single log dash sounds pretty cool.

my next interior move will be trying to fit a modern brown leather seat set into it.

·
Registered
1985 VW Cabriolet
2,539 Posts
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Automotive side marker light

started my airlift install….

front bags installed, rear left mostly installed, wired everything. I am in need of two 90* fittings or i need to get my hands on 10ft of 1/4 dot tubing.

cant wait to see it finished. Im not going to do the height sensors yet. Will have someone else do those or do it when i have some experienced help. Getting close though :)

·
Registered
1985 VW Cabriolet
2,539 Posts
Working on my airlift setup.
Working on my rears.

the way the port lined up on the top left some to be desired with possible places to poke through the tub. I bought a caulking tube of black polyurethane to seal up all my pass throughs when I am finished. I am running 1/4 in the rear but ran the 1/4 inside of a piece of 3/8 tubing for extra protection through the body.

do you think this setup will work. I put the cushion clamp there to allow for some play and to keep the line away from the bag and wheel.

im running 5.5” deep wheels. So they wint be near the bag at all anyways
Automotive lighting Personal protective equipment Automotive tire Eyewear Jewellery

·
Registered
1985 VW Cabriolet
2,539 Posts
I put the interior back in and took it for a spin. Aired it out on a level lot. “Need” front notched to match the look when aired out. Alignment is pretty off from my tranny and suspension swap.

Crickets in the air suspension forum. Maybe someone here can answer my question. The front billows seem to sit inside the tower but do make contact with the tower interior. Is this normal?

also how tight should the rear strut top nuts be? I think maybe i squished my rubber bushings a bit because the rear sounds more firm than it did when i had my coils in.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Realized I need to cut my new fender trims to fit the Westy GTI front valance.

Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Wood Line

Spliced a Microsquirt & PLX Wideband into the Westy GTI loom so its plug and play. No further changes needs to the stock loom (YET).

White Electrical wiring Circuit component Cable Wire

10201 - 10220 of 10433 Posts