VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
31641 - 31660 of 31674 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Not today but looking back this day last year. The day I had to dig out. Ended up with a 6 foot drift from the front of my property all the way the back. Conveniently just where my driveways are.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
943 Posts
Ran all my fuel lines. Not sure if I'll get in trouble for my inspection but I'm using a fuel line for my evap line, functionally no difference unless I'm thick. Threw the passenger seat back in with some new sliders and it feels good. Started reading about needing to get some vehicle speed sensor signal from my cluster but I've not a non-MFA cluster so need to figure something out.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Ran all my fuel lines. Not sure if I'll get in trouble for my inspection but I'm using a fuel line for my evap line, functionally no difference unless I'm thick. Threw the passenger seat back in with some new sliders and it feels good. Started reading about needing to get some vehicle speed sensor signal from my cluster but I've not a non-MFA cluster so need to figure something out.
Shouldn't be a difference. I do the opposite on my Cobalt; I use the factory EVAP line as my return fuel line (dead-end system from the factory).

Reactions: banjopete

·
Registered
1,128 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Brown Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Amber Motor vehicle

I
Tire Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

I got a little more inspecting done, looking for rust spots.

washed off the engine, pulled the spark plugs, put in a little Marvel Mystery Oil and let it sit overnight, then this morning took the plugs out and rotated the engine.

going to swap a new ignition lock cylinder in this afternoon and Hopefully get the headliner removed and the engine washed down tonight.

making a list of everything I need to buy to get it driving!

·
Registered
Mk2 Jetta Turbo Diesel
50 Posts
What I did to my mk2? Yesterday I figured out the waste gate controls. Nothing like shown in Bentleys.

@YJSAABMAN

Remember the first time I had a car with radials, I think it was a 3 year old 1970 Renault R10. I couldn't believe the road holding 135x15 Michelin X tube type tires with 3 lug nuts, I suppose on 4" rims. Funny but true. Prior to that we all had bias ply. Michelin had an advertising campaign that talked about the benefits of narrow treads with long narrow contact patches, somewhat tank track like.

In the early 80s, motorcycles started coming out with radials I imported a new Canadian 1983 RZ 350 for racing which had them and there was no going back, still have the bike, now retired.

I think many of us who have older vw's don't own them because they are better, but maybe because they are unique, sort of ugly, almost cartoon like by the norms of today's vehicles. One of the things that attracted me was, the oldscool diesel, noisy, smelly, quite mechanical and kind of slow, almost Model T'ish. Maybe your outsized wheels fall into that category.

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
@VWAD0B

I'm not saying I'm a fan of that application of wheel and tire, and I don't run that type of setup on my cars because I enjoy driving them hard. So, no, those are not "my" outsized wheels. But I still understand what it is when I see it, and that it is a novelty of choice, much like the very vehicles we choose to drive. I enjoy my old Jeep Grand Cherokee for the same reasons you enjoy your old diesel VW, that analog feeling is something truly different from driving a modern car. But, again, it comes down to driving it. I don't own "show" cars, I do enjoy cruising sometimes, but also enjoy an occasional autocross and spirited back road romps.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Those are some good looking wiring looms!

I'm working on routing and stripping the MK4 wiring harness of all non-essential items (all the seat and door connections, amp, speakers, dome lights, sunroof, etc).

My racecar build thread: Track Car Build: Dr Dethwagen

·
Registered
Mk2 Jetta Turbo Diesel
50 Posts
Road Trip...
On a 180 mile trip. @ the halfway mark my recent work is generally doing great, only issues are that the vent blower got noisy again.

And the the vdo gauge package is a mite sensative to input voltage and i have it hooked up in a circuit feeding the blower. Maybe the fan is drawing excessive current....
With the heater off, the oil pr reads 5psi higher and water temp 5 deg cooler.

Probably time for a new fan motor.

Have had this car for 11y and havent put in a new battery, resting v is 12.6v max regulated v is 13.5.

Good day.

·
Registered
Mk2 Jetta Turbo Diesel
50 Posts
Deleted double post.

Car ran great all day. At low speed can run at least one gear higher. Had it to about 85 in traffic. Without the fan on it would stay at 14.6v.

Saw a color that I want mine to be. This was not the car but this one is very close. A military grey color.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
Mk2 Jetta Turbo Diesel
50 Posts
Looks like a real racer, everything has a function. with the the money being spent on go_fast, rather than looks.

Do you have a truck to go with your dolly?

I found eventually that driving on the road was boring. Could never let it hang out in the midst of civilian traffic, curbs, road side trees and along with the typical, greasy, road pavement.

40 years have past, but I still can see the race lines on our midwest tracks..

Those are some good looking wiring looms!

I'm working on routing and stripping the MK4 wiring harness of all non-essential items (all the seat and door connections, amp, speakers, dome lights, sunroof, etc).

My racecar build thread: Track Car Build: Dr Dethwagen

31641 - 31660 of 31674 Posts