VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

2441 - 2460 of 2482 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
For your consideration

That took longer than I expected but I knew it was coming. I've read that article several times. The front foglights on modern cars don't make a bit of difference in the fog. I've checked for myself many times. Fog lights were originally intended to be used in dense fog in place of headlights because the reflected headlight glare made visibility worse. They were mostly yellow for that purpose. If the glare of your headlights is already too much then why add more light to it? They're there for one purpose, auto manufacturer profit.

I also find little credibility in the article after reading these sentences:

"Fog lights are not bright enough to take the place of your regular headlights for nighttime driving. ...They’re also not bright enough to substitute for your headlights when it’s raining."

"The brightness of the lights can actually be a safety hazard, as it can blind other drivers, resulting in an accident."

It basically says they're not as bright as your headlights but they're bright enough to cause an accident. So your even brighter headlights must be even more dangerous and we shouldn't use those either. Which is it, too bright or not bright enough?

I keep mine on purely because I like how it looks, which is how the manufacturers get people to buy them. If anyone else doesn't want to use them I respect that and wouldn't dream of criticizing that decision. But don't pee in someone's corn flakes for using them exactly how the manufacturers intended.

·
Registered
2001.5 Passat, 2004 Jetta TDI, 2010 Sportwagen TDI, 2014 Passat Wolfsburg, 2019 Jetta R-Line
45 Posts
That took longer than I expected but I knew it was coming. I've read that article several times. The front foglights on modern cars don't make a bit of difference in the fog. I've checked for myself many times. Fog lights were originally intended to be used in dense fog in place of headlights because the reflected headlight glare made visibility worse. They were mostly yellow for that purpose. If the glare of your headlights is already too much then why add more light to it? They're there for one purpose, auto manufacturer profit.

I also find little credibility in the article after reading these sentences:

"Fog lights are not bright enough to take the place of your regular headlights for nighttime driving. ...They’re also not bright enough to substitute for your headlights when it’s raining."

"The brightness of the lights can actually be a safety hazard, as it can blind other drivers, resulting in an accident."

It basically says they're not as bright as your headlights but they're bright enough to cause an accident. So your even brighter headlights must be even more dangerous and we shouldn't use those either. Which is it, too bright or not bright enough?

I keep mine on purely because I like how it looks, which is how the manufacturers get people to buy them. If anyone else doesn't want to use them I respect that and wouldn't dream of criticizing that decision. But don't pee in someone's corn flakes for using them exactly how the manufacturers intended.

This is a public forum to exchange ideas, ask questions and offer information.
Sorry you feel someone violated your cornflakes.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Take II

Reactions: Backwoods_OG

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Put in a BFI knob, euro short shift, ecs solid bushings and super pin. Also, sawed off 1/4 inch off the shift lever to get the knob lower. Feels like you're actually shifting now, not all loose n gross. Wife says I've "assified" it, but megh.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Put in a BFI knob, euro short shift, ecs solid bushings and super pin. Also, sawed off 1/4 inch off the shift lever to get the knob lower. Feels like you're actually shifting now, not all loose n gross. Wife says I've "assified" it, but megh.
You should have seen the shifter in my '79 Malibu wagon. It was almost long enough to say Peterbilt.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Really nice work!

·
Registered
415 Posts
I added Android Auto Wireless using a little device from an Indiegogo campaign. I am an early backer, so if you order one, understand that it may not be available til October. They have been hit with multiple production delays due to the chip supply issues. AAWireless
Took some tinkering to get it set up, but it now connects in about 20 seconds from start and automatically opens to whatever screen was open last.
ONLY FOR ANDROID - Iphone users can s**k it ;)

Also allows you to add Torque to your Android Auto screen

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the Unitronic Stage 1+ flashed on Friday and put on some Badgeskins decals after a much needed wash. Fairly happy with both so far. Next step is adding some springs to lower a bit.

·
Registered
8,077 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Did you manage to find a how to on taking the center console out to install the super pin or did you do it yourself?

·
Registered
2021 Jetta SEL
45 Posts
I had tint installed today. 35% all the way around (except windshield). I had a 5% "eyebrow" done on the windshield. It's much cooler inside the car.

Top is before, bottom is after. Hard to tell much difference in the photos but in person you can notice it.

tint-front.jpg

2441 - 2460 of 2482 Posts