VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Replaced the belts.

Also installed an underdrive pulley in the process. (FYI if you buy this style ebay pulley, you’ll need a 340k5 belt.) Plus, it’s a scientifically proven fact red parts make your car faster, everybody knows this.

Do you have link for this pulley? Does it do what it claims? What does the big dyno say?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
It’s just a generic eBay one, it’s about 1/3-1/4 the weight of the OE one and smaller. I don’t know the exact size difference but if I had to say, it’s roughly 70-75% of the OE diameter.

I can tell you the engine spins up faster, and is a bit more responsive. I cannot tell you real hp “gains” but if I’d have to guess it’s a negligible 1-3 at best. Also if you drive normally(like grama) you could potentially see a minimal mpg increase as well.

They sell them in red, purple or blue, Ive also seen it in silver(long time ago). Here’s a link to the one I bought. If that ones not available or want another color just keep looking on eBay it’s not hard to find.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vw-Mkv-Mkv...451535&hash=item4b787be8ea:g:F58AAOSwPslfH5m4
Hmmm link doesn’t work.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Continued my pothole repair. Figured while I was at it I’d upgrade to Passat LCA’s.

From the junkyard. One clean one dirty.

New ball joints, strut mounts, LCA brackets. New hardware.

At some point a shop snapped off 2 studs from passenger side ball joint. A heads up would've been nice.

Junkyard lost the replacement steering knuckle I was planning on installing. Gonna have to wait til tomorrow to get a different one. Then hopefully I can get it aligned properly. If it still doesn’t I’ll have to replace the subframe bracket next.
What is a LSA? And why is a Passat LSA better?

Just picked up a MK5 at the beginning of the pandemic and I don’t have much knowledge of Mk5s.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
What they didn’t tell you is the one stud was just in case the bubble gum and zip ties stopped working...which by the looks of it, they did.

LCA means Lower Control Arm

The difference is the regular mk5 are stamped steel, vs the Passat‘s are cast aluminum...I think it makes it lighter/stronger compared to the regular ones(and looks better). I don’t remember offhand if there’s any other difference but that’s pretty much it. I’m sure somebody else will chime in with more details tho.
Thanks. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Swapped out my bridged 4 channel amp to a mono block for my sub.

370w rms 4ohms < 600w rms 2ohms.

Also installing a new sub tomorrow. I have to mount it to my box.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts

Oil change for the Rabbit. If any one cares about that sort of thing, 0w40 Edge is a better quality oil. 5w40 edged is group 3. 0w40 edge is group 4. It also keeps it viscosity better at temp. Read up a lot on Castrol oil on Bobtheoilguy. I geeked out in it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts