VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Oil change (Lubrimoly 5w40 synth), new bosch red-top coils and plugs, and Integrated Engineering stage 1 tune.

I'm liking the 07K 5-cyl more and more. Still need to do the forge short shifter and IE vac pump delete.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Finally got the snow tires off last night. I just hate running them on warm spring days; mushy handling and thinking about all that rubber scrubbing off.

These are 18x8" ET41 "Daytona" wheels from the passat CC. W/ 235/40/18 Conti pro-contacts (not my ideal tire, but works fine). Temporary summer wheel setup until I get into the suspension on this car.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Just bought an 07 Jetta 2.5 for my son. Changed out the front brakes and parking brake cables so it could pass state inspection. They were trashed. Added a radio and backup camera too.

Other than those things, the car was solid and interior nearly mint with no rust anywhere. Just a few dents and scrapes on the outside.
View attachment 175908
Nice work. I, uh, need to trade passenger side front fenders with you. Don't ask any questions, k

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Complete Mk6 dash swap into a 15 year old economy car? Lol.

Speaking of old sh!t, I just cobbled together my old Yakima q-tower roof rack setup again. The "correct" q-clips for an mk5 jetta are stupid expensive on ebay right now since they haven't been produced in years, so I used what I had. Similar style L-brackets from mk4 and mk5 GTIs seemed to work fine.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
We purchased a matching set of rear rotors to from Adam’s Rotors To match the front Stasis rotors. Waiting for my full set of Maxton splitters, spoiler and rear diffuser. I saw that someone posted a memoriam for my Uncle. Thank you. I want to use his sign in to keep him in my heart. I I hope that is o.k.
View attachment 192171
Whoa, are you his niece? So sorry to hear about that. Car looks terrific.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Hi all! I’m very happy to say I have bought a mk5 R32. 1 owner, still has the original window sticker, kept very mint, over 30k In maintenance, and I got the friends discount on it for 7,500, I couldn’t pass up this beauty! Always been a dream car of mine.
Gorgeous! Over 30k in maintenance and dude let you have it for 7500? How many miles on it? I'd be tempted to put on BAT and take a huge profit.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
^ nice. Are you in Michigan? Ypsilanti dub, here.

Detailed the **** outta this :poop: late into last night. Informal car show at work provided some motivation to get her all the way cleaned up. Now I can relax back into neglectful mode for a while, lol.

Should have some better pics from the photographer later. Had to park in the back corner to avoid showing everyone the car's bad (rusty passenger) side, haha.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
^ I bought my RCD330 (mine's actually a RCD360, I think) off ebay, just chose the cheapest one that looked right and included the adaptors. Just search there. Plug and play, only took ~20 minutes start to finish. Such a huge upgrade.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Said **** it and bought an IE intake manifold and a Stage 2 tune :devilish: hoping my Injen CAI can play nice with it/fits with the throttle body relocation...I've seen pictures of that setup. Anyone have any insight on clearance issues? Mostly concerned about the SAI hoses reaching but willing to hack away some of that Injen CAI if needed.
Nice! Now that you've demonstrated your willingness to blow cash on an old car (not even waiting for the IE sale prices?!?), you should also pair that with an evolution tuning header and USP mid pipe. 200+ HP at the wheels to pull on GTIs all day!

I'm sure your injen intake can be made to work. Might need a silicone 30 or 45 degree angle coupler. SAI and CCV hoses can be extended as needed.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Nice. I'm pretty much in the same boat. Jumped on my 09 Jetta when I saw it listed for $4500, a bit of body rust but only 44k miles on it. I'm closer to a couple grand into mods now, but trying to stay thrifty. I went IE stage 1 tune because I didn't want to rev over 5k just to find the extra power every time. But honestly I was just a bit chicken.

I recently sawed my muffler off and clamped on this DTM style thing that I have had sitting on my garage shelf for years. Do not recommend.... it whistles, LOL. Not like a variable whistle either, a distinct tone that comes on at WOT and then jumps a couple octaves as exhaust flow increases. Not ideal, .... but certainly distinctive.

I recently learned about the USP downpipe option. Somewhat affordable and appears to make some power gains. It says"high flow cat" but then I see reviews talking about exhaust smell, as if there is no real CAT in place?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
A header isn't going to do just about anything for you, but getting a downpipe will. I ran the down pipe with the stock catback for a long time. One of the mufflers cracked at the seam and then I replaced the catback system.
The evolution tuning header design looks like it might make real power, but the price and effort is too high anyway.

So you're saying that the USP downpipe w/ high-flow CAT should be a pretty noticeable power gain? And hopefully minimal exhaust noise increase - with no drone?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Sorry for the late reply I am not from Michigan

Any suggestions for cosmetics on a mk5 r32? Thinking about a new diffuser to replace the regular black plastic stock one and maybe a spoiler
No prob I was just asking because of your front euro plate with "MICH" on it.

Yeah a nice hatch lip spoiler extension would work. ECS and other places have maxton stuff that goes on easily. I am noticing a lack of sideskirts on your car as well. Tinted windows adds some subtle style and interior protection for only a couple hundred bucks. Still on stock exhaust? You can make that VR6 really sing and style some bigger tips out back - not cheap though.

And while those wheels you have are a great design, I don't find myself loving them on the MK5 2-door chassis. Some aftermarket 19s with more poke (less offset/ET) with some 245/35/19 tires would look pretty baller. But thats a $2k investment, so.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
^ you should just.... go test drive the A3. DSG is a great trans, but it's got its quirks. The newest ones are quite excellent. But my wife's old 2010 passat DSG would lurch pretty badly off the line. Like, let your foot off the brake on an uphill incline, and the clutches in the DSG would go grab-release-grab-release and make everyone in the car toss around. You had to wait until you could actually quickly switch over to the gas pedal to avoid it. It's a 6 speed trans (aside from newest 7-speeds in audis) that wants to get up into 6th gear as soon as possible, for fuel economy. So you often get lugged down in 5th or 6th gear very quickly. Then if you switch to sport mode, it will rev almost to redline even when you're driving calmly, and hang way too long before shifting. It really needed a "sport-mild" setting (APR and other can retune, maybe the A3 already is?).

Finally its important to know how the DSG works. Gears 1, 3 and 5 are on one side with their own clutch pack. And gears 2, 4 and 6 on the other side with a different clutch. The DSG can shift lightning fast to the next gear because one clutch engages while the other simultaneously disengages. BUT! If you manually tap the shifter up or down two gears (say, ask for 2nd when you are currently in 4th), then one clutch has to disengage, it shifts from 2 to 4, and that same clutch re-engages. This is slow, clunky and awful. So you always want to be moving 1 gear at a time when shifting.

They are reliable and can hold lots of power. You need new fluid and a new filter every 40k. Not hard to do yourself but will take a few hours in the garage. If you drive a lot, 40k comes up quick.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts