·
Registered
2007 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5L, Wolfsburg Edition & 1988 Volkswagen Cabriolet 1.8L
103 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
This week I scored an Injen CAI complete with MAF for $100, ECS Tuning skid plate for $50, and some much needed trim pieces at the scrap yard. I really love the intake sound with the Injen! Painted a New Beetle cover black to give my bay an OEM look. Also replaced my trunk latch actuator, only to find out that one of the wires near the trunk hinge had broken, what do ya know the old actuator works…
Edit: Will removing my sagging firewall piece cause any ill effects? This looks like it's mostly for sound deadening rather than heat or fire protection, yeah?
Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
103 Posts
Far from unique, but I painted my upper grill and removed the chrome from the lower. The chrome was pretty dull and “uninspiring” let’s say. I used 3 coats of flat black Duplicolor Acrylic Enamel, followed by 3 coats of the same stuff in glossy black, followed by 3 coats of matte VHT Wheel Clear Coat. Conflicting textures on the can label, but they played together nicely in my opinion. The VHT is supposed to protect from rock chips- we’ll see. License plate holes are kind of a bummer. I think I’ll keep the chrome accents on the fog covers. Before and after.
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Automotive side marker light

Car Wheel Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

·
Registered
103 Posts
Not to be a downer, but the new look is kinda………..blah. Blacked out is getting worn out. Maybe if you took the chrome and had it redone in a black chrome look. Just to add a little bit of definition.. Just a thought.
Yeah, I’m not taking my 15 year old grill to get “redone”. This is done lol. I don’t spend much time thinking about it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Drove it! Over the past few months, I’ve put on Solowerks coilovers, new LCAs, ball-joints, tie rods, wheel bearings, a Brembo brake and rotor kit, changed the oil. Love this car!
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Automotive side marker light

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
103 Posts
Said **** it and bought an IE intake manifold and a Stage 2 tune :devilish: hoping my Injen CAI can play nice with it/fits with the throttle body relocation...I've seen pictures of that setup. Anyone have any insight on clearance issues? Mostly concerned about the SAI hoses reaching but willing to hack away some of that Injen CAI if needed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Nice! Now that you've demonstrated your willingness to blow cash on an old car (not even waiting for the IE sale prices?!?), you should also pair that with an evolution tuning header and USP mid pipe. 200+ HP at the wheels to pull on GTIs all day!

I'm sure your injen intake can be made to work. Might need a silicone 30 or 45 degree angle coupler. SAI and CCV hoses can be extended as needed.
Haha! I love me a money pit. I bought the car for $2k last year with 145k miles and am probably ~$3500 in total with mods and maintenance items. Have gotten lucky with some scores ($100 Injen CAI, $50 ECS street shield, $375 Solowerks coilovers, etc.) so this doesn’t hurt as bad. Didn’t know they went on sale any further though (~$1200 basic power kit). Gulp. Still under $5k on the car and nothing at a used car lot can touch that.

Haven’t looked too far into exhaust stuff. I’ve thought about just getting rid of the suitcase resonator and replacing the stock muffler with a Borla or MagnaFlow. I’ll look into that header and mid pipe…

1 - 8 of 8 Posts