VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
I just changed the whole front steering to passat front aluminium knucles and lower control arms... fresh bearings, ball joint/etc. I also installed passat rear alu spindles... +8mm each side FTW :)

the front wheels are in a "V" alignment.. lol I'm waiting for fresh tires for an alignment :)

17" RPF-1's in the front also, that's going to be a light setup

I also retrofitted HIDs i found at a junkyard... 64$ for the two headlights with all the bulbs/ballasts/etc :)

no front end pics, but it's pretty bad on bumps lol

Also put my "Rabbit 2.5" front grill back on

The blue stripe is to match these:

:)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Love the brakes! Mine started out a blurple to red later.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Those are big boy brakes though, mine are little kiddo ones :)

I had a complete set of 17z 4 pot brakes, but decided that the setup would be WAY too heavy for the 2.5L... I sold them and concentrated on lowering the unsprung weight on my car.

In the front I have 17 RPF-1s (15.25lbs each wheel), 2 piece rotors "GTI" rotors, passat LCA/knuckles... I can't wait for the front end to be aligned to try these out!

I also already had blistein coilovers, but the passat knucle gave me another -4/-5mm closer to the road.

I need to find an early a3 quattro rear aluminium subframe, but those are extremely rare as VAG decided to cheapen out and only make steel ones later on. That's another 7kg saved.

·
Registered
290 Posts
They are still awesome though!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Thanks.

I'm still pondering on installing rear R32 310x22 2 piece rotors. I already have some parts, and they look nice as they are blue. The brake bias thing has me a little woried though, since these would very likely unbalance the car's braking.

Front "GTIs" are 312x??mm, and r32 rears would be 310x22mm... if only there was a way to alter the brake ecu so the car would 'know' it has bigger rotors in the back (and slack some of that rear brake piston powah!)

·
Registered
290 Posts
I hate different colored lights soooo much lol

HID's are 6k (ill change for 5k when they die)
High beams are hella yellow
Fogs are selective yellow (i think)
city lights are whatever normal bulbs are (will switch to LEDs to match the other lights - prob like 5k)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Replaced the belts.

Also installed an underdrive pulley in the process. (FYI if you buy this style ebay pulley, you’ll need a 340k5 belt.) Plus, it’s a scientifically proven fact red parts make your car faster, everybody knows this.

Is that 'underdrive' pulley just lighter than stock, or does the effective diameter also differ? If its lighter than stock and same diameter: win.

If it changed the ratio between it and the other pulleys.. not sure.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Lighter and smaller. I’ve had it before on other mk5 2.5s I’ve had and never had an issue.

However the most effective part of it, is that it’s red. It’s scientifically proven.
Oh I know about the red gains ;) What brand/model is that pulley?

I go for blue parts, doesn't give straight power, but blue gives out +1 to handling though

·
Registered
290 Posts
YOU INSTALLED A MCDONALDS IN YOUR WINDSHIELD!!?

I personally would’ve opted for a Hardy’s/Carl’s Jr....
But to each their own I suppose...🤣🤣

Jk I’m assuming you installed a mk6 wheel and/or dash? (Since I don’t know what vehicle is or was in the vehicle before that’s just an educated guess..)
This is all in a 2008 rabbit. Dash conversion, along with a hacked mk5 cluster to fit in the mk6 housing (literally hacked with a dremel).

·
Registered
290 Posts
In that case, looks awesome! Good job! Was the dash just bolt on? Or did it require some hacking too?

I always think I don’t like the mk6 wheel, then I look at my foam basic rabbit wheel and think....maybe it IS better looking...?
I know I’m swapping mine out at some point for a gti wheel, just don’t know if to look for a mk5 or mk6 tho.
I had an Mk5 GTI wheel, and that one looks more 'old school cool' compared to the 6.

The dash is bolt on yes. I had to switch the mk6 passenger airbag for my 5 since the connectors were different though.

You need the two vent plastic pieces that sit between the dash and support frame:

The mk6 parts you need:

Centre radio/clim 'cage',
Metal 'u-shaped' braket that secures the centre console,
upper/lower front centre console bits
3 pieces of trim between the dash and lower parts (light switch plastic, glove box, etc)
Hazard switch (will require depinning the mk5 connector to the mk6 one)

this is pretty much everything you need:

As for the mk5 cluster-in-a-6-dash, you need:

-b6 passat cluster plug adapter (and might need to add the blue/black reader coil wires)
-dremel off the 'trip/time' mk5 cluster circuit board parts
-dremel/hack the lower-middle mk6 pod cluster front trim to fit it over the mk5 cluster centre fuel/engine temp gauges,
-dremel/hack the upper-middle mk6 pod screen area (the mk5 display sits higher than the 6...)
-3d print a replacement part for the middle gas/engine temp trim

·
Registered
290 Posts
What A-pillar panels do you use(top & bottom)the MK5 or 6, does the dash fit the contours of the MK5 door panels?
The ones from the 5 do fit, but you need to trim the bottom of these. It's easier to get some golf 6 ones though.

Dash does fit with the door panels... Jetta/Golf sportwagons come with a mk6 dash and mk5 door panels.

·
Registered
290 Posts
That dash swap is kinda nuts. I'm tempted to ask "why?!" because it looks like it was a lot of work (both in sourcing and figuring it out, and doing it) but I guess with modding cars that's never really worth asking :laugh:

I replaced the valve cover on the GTI today ('07, 107k miles). I'm hoping this will reduce the oil consumption (and sometimes smoking on accel) and it was a way cheaper blind guess than replacing the turbo. The latter just doesn't seem likely to me given how well it drives, but who knows. Now to wait a few thousand miles and see if it helped... which may take a year at our recent rates haha.

I think the mk6 dash is WAY better looking than the 5... which was a big complaint for the mk5's (compared to the mk4 finish).

The 6's also have alot less trim pieces/screws/etc. That comes from the fact that mk5 golfs took way too long to build, and VW had to cut that time by 40-50%, which they mostly did by reducing the number of trim parts amongst other things.

As for sourcing, it it did take some time, but I got everything from a u-pick yard, so the whole dash was 60$, the steering 12$, various trims are 3-7$ per, so not that bad in total.

The only rewiring/pinning required for the dash conversion was the hazard switch. The mk6's have a more standard 6-pin connector like the centre console buttons.

One thing I'd like to keep is the blue cluster from the 5 though... but that requires some soldering skills to change the smd white leds to blue ones on the 6's cluster...

Not my actual car, but 99% the same:

Before:

After:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Ehh I remember removing my c2 manifold to replace the thermostat on my old rabbit f removing the front end.

What valve cover is that?

Also, what did you do with all the lines that went in/from the OEM one? Did you add a catch can of some sorts? (the crankcase ventillation and whatnot)

What did you do with the bug juice filler nozzle?

Where is the N80 evap valve that usually sits on the top-left of the fuel rail?

That bay looks clean/uncluttered for a 2005.5-2008 bay (considering the MAF, SAI and every thing else)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts