VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
new to me MK5 stage 2+ gti

i bought this back in may but i've been out of commission with a broken ankle so i just picked it up last week...

https://forums.quattroworld.com/classifieds-vehicles/threads/5394.phtml#37882

drove it from boise back to oregon. beautiful this time of year...

i had him put a new south boost gauge in it and a no drill front plate bracket since front plates are mandatory... turns out the tiguan 70mm center caps fit perfect on the audi 18" peelers so i threw a set of those on there too...

passed emissions yesterday even with stage 2+ emissions delete... going to register it tomorrow...

today i took it and rinsed it off cause the trees in my neighborhood shed and shoot sap year round...

looking forward to going to some VW shows this summer... there's a few here in oregon and some up in washington i already have marked on my calendar...

this is my 9th VAG product including 2 air cooled vw's 4 audi's and 2 MKII's a jetta and a golf. sold my C4 audi today also. $ will pay for the new head unit i need in the gti.

·
Registered
158 Posts
i'm mostly done wrenching on cars. which is why i got a "newer/new to me" mk5 and not another mkII or some such... but the shop that is wrenching on it now replaced my windshield washer pump today and also replaced my drivers side window switches... lamination came off on the original set that was in the car. not a good look... still trying to chase down foglight coding issue... thought it was coded out but still showing up on the MFI and bulb out light is lit up. not really pressed about it... intrigued actually... i might try other led's or resistors... working out what the best solution is. back to halogens? last resort.

·
Registered
158 Posts
went and ordered a new key at the dealership. quoted me 195 for the key and 65 for programming... got there and dude liked my car so i got the key for 150. which is how much it is on the vwamerica website... they'll program it when i go back for the key. such an ordeal to get a key made. another dealership in town is straight price gouging. 215 for the key and a full hour of labor to program it. like 380 total. f that. i'm glad i called around.

i have an osiris skid plate from evolution import arriving tomorrow and later in the week i have an appointment to have it installed... along with a morimoto canbus thingy that will hopefully stop my led fog lights from throwing codes.

after i ran some errands i went out the the columbia river gorge for a car show... got a decent shot of the gti in front of the rose garden at the park where the show was...

·
Registered
158 Posts
So I have factory halogen headlight bulbs and was wondering what people do to swap over to led headlight bulbs without throwing a code with canbus on a 2007 mk5 Jetta? I called a couple local stereo shops in Orlando but they charge like $140 for the headlight kit installed and I'm wondering if there is a less expensive way to go about it if I do it myself, the factory halogen bulbs are just too dim.
i just had these installed on my LED fogs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077NQTBTD/

no more bulb out codes...

tried coding it out on VCDS first... was a fail. apparently the car is too smart for that.

but the Morimoto wiring harness did the trick. my shop only charged me an hour of labor to do the install. which i thought was quite reasonable.

·
Registered
158 Posts
random stuff

Thursday I brought the GTI down to the shop b/c i was only get 10psi according to my brand new boost gauge... had them test everything. actually getting 20.3 max holding around 12-14... turns out the gauge just needed the Fonzie tap on the side to free up the needle cause it's been working fine since. kind of embarrassing but i'm glad i didn't have to spend a bunch of money to have my dude chase down/repair an allusive leak...

Went to pacific waterland car show down in woodburn oregon today. saw a lot of cool cars... watched some VAG drag races. dude with an aircooled bug had one of the fastest cars at the watercooled event. funny, that.

After I got home I spent about 40 minutes trying to calibrate my back-up camera... realized after a while that it was 2 systems. the camera itself has guidelines that are fixed... and the alpine head unit has guidelines that are adjustable.... depth and width... you have to adjust the guidelines on the head unit to match the fixed lines on the camera. made a bit more difficult b/c the camera only comes on when the car is in reverse and the alpine head unit won't let you adjust the camera settings when the car is in gear. after a bit a fiddling i got it down pat and now everything is correctly calibrated...

having some issues with android auto randomly disconnecting for seemingly no reason. went on the old interwebs and there are like a million posts on a multitude of forums about this issues. changed some settings on my phone... hoping that does the trick. seems to be more prone to disconnection when navigation is on. when navigation is off and it's just showing the map it doesn't disconnect.

last week i got a goose neck/cup holder mount for my phone...

also last week got a uniden DFR7 cause i got a ticket a few weeks ago driving to the coast. whoops. almost bought the radar detector when i got the car but was like... "nah. i'm older and wiser now. i won't be speeding." no one told me 75 feels like 55 in that car. lol. found out the hard way.

·
Registered
158 Posts
heard clunk going over bumps from the rear passenger side.... since i don't wrench on cars anymore i took it down to my preferred shop here in town... i have megan racing adjustable rear control arms... one of the bolts had come loose. was worried that i had a blown Koni... lucked out this time...

got a radar detector a few weeks ago... party time excellent.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Didn't directly do anything to the car today (other than drive it) but I did make a decision. I'll be going back to stock exhaust diameter. A while ago I picked up a used 3" catback without measuring it (dumb, I know) and there's been a highway drone ever since. This morning I woke up and decided that the drone is just not worth the cool sound. I have a Mk7 GTI resonator to replace the stock one, and I'll be keeping the suitcase deleted. But going back to 2.5" for the mid sections should definitely help my highway driving to be more peaceful. Hopefully that all makes sense.
i only start to get drone around 85 in 6th gear... and that's a good indicator to me to back off the gas actually... 80 seems to be the sweet spot... lol. but yeah. 5th gear @ 85 is competing with the stereo....

·
Registered
158 Posts
drove from portland down to s.f. and back. while there... the gti got to hang with the big dogs.

ordered an interior LED light kit. will install this weekend hopefully...

·
Registered
158 Posts
drove from portland down to s.f. and back. while there... the gti got to hang with the big dogs.

ordered an interior LED light kit. will install this weekend hopefully...
interior LED light kit came a day early... got it from deAutoLED... install went ok. broke one of the footwell lenses so i had to go down to pick and pull and grab one out of a wrecked passat... some of the little metal electrical contacts are pretty flimsy. seems like pulling out the old factory bulbs was enough to mess a few of them up. tightened everything up and now i'm done.

gonna do exterior led next. city lights. reverse and tail lights.

·
Registered
158 Posts
swapped out my cabin air filer... lots of ash in the air during wildfire season a few months ago... plus i quit smoking cigarettes... and have been meaning to put in a new one since...

·
Registered
158 Posts
oooo... share a link please? :D

these bulbs are canbus compliant. you don't need anything extra.

i have the GTI full interior kit minus the license plate lights... which i think i got with the kit actually just didn't need to use them as mine were already LED.... anyway... they work great. plug and play. the only thing i would say is be careful with the overhead lights... watch a few videos to make sure you know how to install.... they are a bit fiddly.

·
Registered
158 Posts
secured a spot in my building's parking garage. no more street parking for the GTI.

back when i was driving beaters i didn't care... but a. the neighborhood has changed a lot there are way more apartment buildings. many w/out parking and so it's getting harder and harder to park on the street... especially on the weekends. b. the city is rolling out permit street parking on this side of town and it's just a matter of time before this whole neighborhood is permit parking. you already have to have a permit to park a block a way on the right side of the street. left side of the street is not permit parking yet. funny, that. c. i don't drive it that much. and people get testy if you leave your car parked on the street in the same spot for a long time.... not to mention parking enforcement is active in this neighborhood like never before and they give out tickets for not moving your car. ask me how i know.

·
Registered
158 Posts
got my xtrons head unit installed professionally.... cause i don't wrench on cars anymore... and i didn't want to have to deal with it. old now. anyway... looks stock. almost. haven't set it up yet but got bluetooth working and block rocking beats coming out of the speakers so i'm headed in the right direction...
question?
if i leave the OBD2 bluetooth reader in when the car is parked... will it kill my battery? or does the OBD2 shut off when the car is off?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Which unit is this ?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts