VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
44421 - 44440 of 44536 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
I also want to do the mk6 dash swap to my car now thanks guys. probably not really worth it because I find the dash to look a little bit nicer and I also like the look of the mk6 cluster. Thats a lot of work for not many rewards. Granted I did pull a MKV dash out of a car in the junkyard mainly just for fun and to see how much stuff is in there. If anyone wants a MKV GTI: cecm, gateway or comfort module let me know I grabbed those while i was in there.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I also want to do the mk6 dash swap to my car now thanks guys. probably not really worth it because I find the dash to look a little bit nicer and I also like the look of the mk6 cluster. Thats a lot of work for not many rewards. Granted I did pull a MKV dash out of a car in the junkyard mainly just for fun and to see how much stuff is in there. If anyone wants a MKV GTI: cecm, gateway or comfort module let me know I grabbed those while i was in there.
I find the mk6 dash ALOT nicer than the mk5. The 5's were recognized as looking cheaper than the mk 4; which VW fixed a little in the mk6 series. The soft touch material, the 'nickel brush' finish around the vents, etc.

IF you can find an mk6 golf in a u-pick yard, the whole dash and ancillary parts can be easily gotten for 150-200$.

On the top of my head you need:

Dash itself
Cluster trim (you can trim the mk5 cluster to fit in a 'pod'; one)
A pillars from a 2010-14 sportwagen
Centre console pieces (the bin/elbow rest is the same as a 5)
Radio trim,'matic or 'tronic trim and radio 'cage'
"U" shaped metal piece to affix centre console to middle hump
Fuse box/AFS cover panels
Airbox top defroster/vent coupling piece

What's the same for 5 and 6:
glovebox
Center storage bin (unless you want the 5-button mk6 one)
Shifter boot

'Hacked' mk5 cluster in a mk6 cluster/dash:

Some details on this hack:

3D designed and printed 3D part for those middle gauges:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Interesting I wonder if my car would even support the mk6 climatronic module. Mine has climatic. Hey thanks for the diagrams and write up I'll save this page. I am impressed how much stuff is compatible. I would have thought the a pillars would be the same but I guess not. So for you to swap the mk6 wheel over did you have to get a new steering wheel module?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Interesting I wonder if my car would even support the mk6 climatronic module. Mine has climatic. Hey thanks for the diagrams and write up I'll save this page. I am impressed how much stuff is compatible. I would have thought the a pillars would be the same but I guess not. So for you to swap the mk6 wheel over did you have to get a new steering wheel module?
The mk5 climatic module has a cable between the air distro knob and the box. You would need to get a motor/harness to retrofit your climatic module to a mk6 fascia. (Not difficult really, you can google it as lots of folks have done it). You can then acquire a climatronic harness from a u-pick yard, along with a sensored motor for the fresh/recicr flap. If you dont care about dual-zone, the job is pretty easy. For dual-zone, you NEED a different air distribution box; and that requires you to drain the coolant from the heater core, and remove your current airbox and replace with the dual-flapped one.

I found that ebay was the best bet for climatronic harnesses with the motors. I got a complete one (with motors and temp sensors) for 50 or 60$.

The mk6 dash sits a little differently near the A-pillars, so you have to get some from a sportwagen (mk6 dash with mk5 body). You could probably hack your current mk5 trim pieces to fit though. The 'wagen parts start with "1K9" iirc.

The 'mk5' / '1k0' steering modules do work with an mk6 wheel; you just have to get the correct one (i.e. LIN 2.0). Have a look at the steering wheel control module version on ross-tech; they list them all. If you want the easy route, grab the "CH" module and it will work with both mk5/6 wheels. (On aliexpress or ebay)

OR

Get a '5K0 953 549' slipring w/g85 sensor on it (since your steering rack most likely doesnt have its own g85 steering angle sensor in it). You will have to repin and extend the J527 20-pin connector to a 16-pin one, and lengthen the airbag wires to reach the new plug location.

Are those Mk6 parts indicated by the circles the ones you have to use in the swap because Mk5 ones don't fit?

Sent from my Samsung Smart Fridge
Yes.

You can disregard the "2011/2012" markings, these refer to specific trim finishes that only appeared in 2011/12.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Ok I might just do the mk6 dash with only climatic at some point. Don't wanna go too crazy or anything. Kinda depends what pops up first at the junk yard a mkvi with a good leather steering wheel or a mkv with a good leather steering wheel. I think we are sharing interior mods on this page right now so here are my new seats. I got these gti heated plaid seats.
Car Automotive design Motor vehicle Car seat cover Head restraint

Not too shabby for 148 bucks me thinks. Big thanks goes out to the member: gti's for helping me out on the swap. I hope all of you have an amazing saturday.

·
Registered
153 Posts
did NOT pick it up from the shop friday like i was supposed to...
was informed it's not going to be ready today either.

have been using this shop with no issues for the last 3 years. didn't think installing a clutch would be a huge challenge for them but for some reason they don't seem able to do it. now i'm starting to have flashbacks of times i have had to send a flatbed to one shop to have it taken to another shop to pay double what i already paid the first shop to do...

when i asked them what the problem with the clutch was they said it feels "hydraulic" which i don't understand since it's a hydraulic clutch?

nightmare.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
did NOT pick it up from the shop friday like i was supposed to...
was informed it's not going to be ready today either.

have been using this shop with no issues for the last 3 years. didn't think installing a clutch would be a huge challenge for them but for some reason they don't seem able to do it. now i'm starting to have flashbacks of times i have had to send a flatbed to one shop to have it taken to another shop to pay double what i already paid the first shop to do...

when i asked them what the problem with the clutch was they said it feels "hydraulic" which i don't understand since it's a hydraulic clutch?

nightmare.
Clutch feels clutchy

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
drove it 🤷‍♂️ have only put a few miles on it since i got it out a month ago. maybe weather (**** off winter) will be nice enough to drive it more!

·
Registered
153 Posts
still didn't get the car back today.

shop said they got it dialed though and there's some final assembly and i should be able to pick it up tomorrow...

however i'm somewhat confused by their excuse... they claim the problem was that they had significant issues bleeding the system... but... i spent extra and got the clutch bleeder block that ECS highly recommended for use with the clutch that i got.... the whole point of the bleeder block is to make bleeding the system easier... it seems like the opposite was in fact the case.

kind of stressed out. i hope it was actually installed properly and that i don't have clutch issues of the lifetime of this brand new expensive clutch i had them install... :-(

·
Registered
153 Posts
got the car back...

the clutch is nice... the car finally feels like a real german car in that regard... that might make sense to some of you.... i always felt like the OEM clutch was toyota-corolla-y...

i know that it will get a bit softer during the break in period and then i imagine it will be as close to "perfect" as it will get... i like having more feedback from the clutch and my calf muscles have gotten soft driving this car over the last 3 years... the clutch in my C4 A6 was no joke. this is now more like that but not quite as smooth yet.

i realize... in my efforts to properly break in the clutch... that i have a lot of bad clutch habits that i will now have to avoid for the next 750-1000 miles... hills and my super tight parking garage should be interesting for the next month or so....

44421 - 44440 of 44536 Posts