VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
44441 - 44460 of 44538 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
The car is more and more a track car for my niece. I sprung a big leak in my wallet and by the time it was plugged I was sitting in a GT4. will continue to help her out with her projects, but the GT4 is a BEAST on the road. Took them both to watch the weather tech series at Laguna. anyway, put hood vents in hers since it will lower underhood pressure(cf hood) and should lower temp a few degrees as well. Just sitting in for pic. Still need to align and secure. mounted mesh underneath to stop debris and routed a drain line for water. Whole job took approx 1.5 hrs after gathering supplies needed.
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Grille White

·
Registered
19 Posts
I put in an RCD330 a few nights ago. Ordered it on 4/18, received on 5/2 from China. Got it with the canbus adapter and USB socket. I have the same radio (almost) in my wife's 17 AllTrack. I wanted the same in my 07 GLI. The AUX cable to BT dongle and phone charger setup was too much for me to handle anymore. Plus, my original radio's knobs were all cracked.

Taking apart the center console wasn't too bad, nor was removing the shifter and cigarette lighter tray. All told, about one hour to get everything working.

Here's the before:
Automotive design Audio equipment Vehicle audio Machine Steering wheel

Here's the after:
Car Automotive design Vehicle Motor vehicle Vehicle audio

Car Vehicle Plant Automotive design Vehicle audio

Car Gear shift Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle

Vehicle Automotive design Plant Vehicle door Motor vehicle

So far I don't think there's been any battery drain issue. Along with adding functionality to the MFSW, I think the canbus is supposed to eliminate battery drain. It appears my radio has the lastest firmware, but I have seen others with different background screens. I can't find anything that can change that in the menus. Am I missing something?

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Gear ratios are a lot better so acceleration is a better. Also the transmission is a lot stronger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you have a thread where you documented everything during the process? I remember reading about this swap not being a direct fit, but that was a while ago now. It's nice to see people having success even now, and I'd love to have a six speed in my 2.5 down the road.
Cheers!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Do you have a thread where you documented everything during the process? I remember reading about this swap not being a direct fit, but that was a while ago now. It's nice to see people having success even now, and I'd love to have a six speed in my 2.5 down the road.
Cheers!
I didn’t document but that’s because the info is on the fb groups. It does bolt up. You just need to shave 1/8” off the top of bellhousing so it doesn’t touch our timing chain cover. Pics online showing how much to shave/grind (not much at all). Besides that it’s just GTI trans and axles, GTi/GLI fsi clutch kit and starter and shifter mount bracket. Also a short shifter. Just like doing a clutch job except you are replacing it with different parts. Clutch kit and starter must be from a gti/gli fsi. Have to use one bolt from the GTi bellhousing (left bottom). It’s better just to take the GTi bellhousing bolts aswell with the swap you buy to have everything. Very simple swap.

·
Registered
9,997 Posts
Cheers!

From here Laser Blue 2009 Jetta Sportwagen 2.5S Build

·
Registered
113 Posts

From here Laser Blue 2009 Jetta Sportwagen 2.5S Build
That is a great write up. I’m gonna save that. Thank you

44441 - 44460 of 44538 Posts