VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
44481 - 44500 of 44567 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Vagguy, how many miles were on the plugs you removed?
No clue. Just bought the car in April.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
No clue. Just bought the car in April.

Ah, OK. I did the same thing when I bought my new-to-me 2008 Rabbit 2.5 over a year ago. I didn't know when the last service was, so I did everything possible. It only cost me $3500 to purchase and the Bidenflation hadn't kicked in yet, so figured I could afford to splurge. I gave it a complete tune-up, changed all the fluids and whatever seals or sensors were probably at life, including valve cover with PCV valve, NGK coils and the same NGK plugs you removed. I also deleted the vacuum pump. It had 142K miles on it then and 157K miles on it now. It runs like a champ with no leaks, drips or oil consumption. Love it!
This is my first German car and it has been a learning experience for me. German Engineering is all new to me. Other than being a PITA for regular service when compared to my previous Asian and American vehicles, it has been a much better performing car than I expected.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I’m getting there with the maintenance. Trans is next. 139k now.

I converted full bore to VAG in 2006. Wife got an A4 and I got my B5.5 Wagon which I still have. Besides the wife getting a grand Cherokee for a year and a half, we’ve had either an Audi or VW, or both.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I’m getting there with the maintenance. Trans is next. 139k now.

I converted full bore to VAG in 2006. Wife got an A4 and I got my B5.5 Wagon which I still have. Besides the wife getting a grand Cherokee for a year and a half, we’ve had either an Audi or VW, or both.

I forgot to mention that the water pump and thermostat were still original, so I replaced those along with belts (they had been replaced) and a new alternator because it was going bad. After I replaced it, a lot of little intermittent electrical gremlins disappeared forever. I also upgraded the AC solenoid valve to the RKX Tech one which vastly improved the cooling ability and speed. Now, the car actually feels like "mine". These were the jobs that were above my pay grade, so I had a trusted pro do them. All of the other ones listed above were done by me.
And the alignment, just in case. It turns out that it did need it in spite of the tires looking good.

·
Registered
158 Posts
How did that go?

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
this is the quote i got today... i'm waiting on a few more and some leads on blocks... i'm not in a rush... i want to find the right shop/person to fix it.... and i want to get it done right... if anyone knows any good shops in oregon or washington let me know...

but yeah... this is what today's guy says... he has a bpy motor on the shelf ready to go and we talked about some mods/upgrades:
Arp head studs
Head gasket
Rebuilt head
1.8t oil pump kit
New timing belt
New chain and tensioner
Reseal engine
And swap over all of your parts onto the build.
I could come in at $5700 for the engine plus installation into your car would be around another 800 as long as there are no surprises.
This is for the engine that I currently have as a runner on the shelf, but I think doing these few extras is what will make your car last for you.

the shop that did my clutch and where the car is now wants like $4k for a rebuilt motor another 4k to dress and install it.

i need to find out what kind of warranty if any the first guy is offering...

·
Registered
10,349 Posts
Stock springs? Did your car have sport suspension?

Stock springs and it is a 2.5 SE with standard (not sport) suspension. It sits a little higher than stock now with the Bilsteins; wish it was about half an inch lower, but otherwise very happy with the setup.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
So I've done quite a bit on my Rabbit since I last posted on here. Finally got the hood and fenders off of my parts car GTI to swap over onto the Rabbit. I still need to pull the hatch off of my GTI. I ordered new rocker panels, because those are rusty on both cars. (Upstate NY, oh well) I installed my GTI brakes on my Rabbit. I did the rears a while ago, and finally did the fronts. I had to turn the front rotors since they were a bit rusty. Unfortunately there's a slight pulsation that's going to really bother me, so I have new front rotors coming in the mail today. I swapped over my summer wheels and then ended up bubbling one of the tires on a bad chunk of missing asphalt. 😖 I replaced two of the tires. Ordered an ST coilover kit from FCP and one of the rear shocks had threads that were cut completely wrong, so had to wait for a replacement kit. I got the rears in with all new hardware and mounts, but I'm waiting for 034 front cambered strut mounts to get the front done. Slowly coming together. Going to throw my Rotiform DIAs on as soon as the suspension is in, dial that in, get it aligned, and then I'm getting all the body work done. Shaved front bumper, clean fenders, hood, and hatch, new rockers, and a full Rabbit Votex kit is going on. Hoping to make the 14 year old Rabbit look better than its ever looked. 😁🤙

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I find the mk6 dash ALOT nicer than the mk5. The 5's were recognized as looking cheaper than the mk 4; which VW fixed a little in the mk6 series. The soft touch material, the 'nickel brush' finish around the vents, etc.
Sorry to bring this back up, but I had to laugh when I read this, because I dislike the MKVI dash compared to the MKV. 😂 The only thing I don't like about the MKV is the dumb top vent. Swap that out with the tray, and it looks WAY cleaner and becomes a lot more practical. Yeah, the MKV radios suck, but I don't consider that part of the dash since that can be swapped separately. I can appreciate the work people put in though. I hated the MKV platform when compared to the MKIV when it first came out, but after buy my Rabbit, I realized how many improvements this platform had when compared to the previous ones. I'm a diehard fan now and will always have at least one MKV in my life. Currently have three. My daily, my next project (Fahrenheit #323), and my UG GTI that I'm using for parts. 😢

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Got my cambered motorsport strut mounts and rocker panels for the Rabbit. Time to get my friend to cut my old ones off and weld the new ones on. 😁 Hoping to get my front rotors on today. The pulsation is bugging the crap out of me. lol Maybe I'll even get my mounts put on the coilovers so I'm ready to throw those in another night this week. Piece by piece and this trash bucket will look like a show car. 😅

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Last night I installed the 034 motorsport mounts on the front ST coilovers. I'm thinking I'm going to trim 1/4-1/2 of an inch off of the bottoms of the struts to make sure I can go low enough. I have the rear in already without the perches and the car is sitting around 24 1/4. I'm kind of worried if I have the front springs preloaded enough to have them stay in the motorsport mounts I won't be able to go as low as I want.

On another note, I also replaced my front rotors with the same slotted StopTechs and my pulsation is gone. Now I want to get braided hoses for a firmer pedal and no fade. 😄

Starting the rocker panel cutting and welding tonight.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Got my cambered motorsport strut mounts and rocker panels for the Rabbit. Time to get my friend to cut my old ones off and weld the new ones on. Hoping to get my front rotors on today. The pulsation is bugging the crap out of me. lol Maybe I'll even get my mounts put on the coilovers so I'm ready to throw those in another night this week. Piece by piece and this trash bucket will look like a show car.
I could use a friend to cut and weld in new rockers...post some progress pics if you don't mind.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jdub337
44481 - 44500 of 44567 Posts