VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
601 - 620 of 645 Posts

·
Registered
7 VWs currently, list in signature
2,056 Posts
Ok, just let me bust off the mirror on that side too. Actually I bought the car from the original owner and they had some generic mirror bolted on with a piece of wood on either side of the door. They must have broken the mirror off and someone 'fixed' it for them. I didn't have a spare red one sooooo...

Sent from my Commodore 64
I took a queen sized sheet from our linen closet, made a slit in it and taped the mirror off sticking out of it with the rest of the sheet covering the car. Used some good plastic spray paint, still looks good after 4 years

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Did my driveshaft center support bearing and installed a new u-joint. It's nice to not hear the driveshaft clunk when I start driving or aggressively shift gears. Also, got prepped to build my new exhaust, just have to pick up a few stainless steel flanges and about 3 feet of 3/8" stainless steel rod today after work and I can get started fabricating that.

Also test fitted the new wheels. 16x7.5 Azev Type A's. I wanted to go with the 16x9 option they offer for these wheels, but I was worried it would be too much. The 7.5" wheel fits nicely and tucks all the way inside the fender and I have some room to move outwards if I'd like. Now to drop them off for a possible straightening and a refinish.

IMG_20160516_173843_306 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
IMG_20160516_173917_860 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

·
Registered
810 Posts

She's almost ready for a new owner. I just have to paint the hatch and chase some vacuum leaks at start up. Just under 103k miles.
I took her on a 100+ mile trip yesterday and no problems at all.
This pic is from Plymouth.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Replaced the leaking VC gasket with a new rubber one...only to find someone already put in a rubber one.
But...they didn't change to shoulderless studs so it was leaking out like crazy and 2 studs were missing and had some stupid bolts in there instead.
All good now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
..Right-rear Inboard CV on my QSW..

..I'll let you know how the test-drive goes.. already did the Outboard CV, didn't help any.. I hope it's not the drive-flange which seems so have some axial slop, maybe a mm or three.. (?)

·
Registered
810 Posts
His latest update on the godforsaken b platform wagon of his....
"Swapped out the brake booster and it was crap. Starts and idles great now and the brakes actually have power assist again. Also had to replace the master to rear brake line since it wouldn't come out of the master...used cunifer and I will never use steel again. Awesome stuff."

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Drove it to work for the maiden voyage in the rain since all the rot in the wheel wells is finally patched. So far no water in the back of the car :thumbup: Also received 034 Motorsports track density front strut mounts for my Bilstein sport struts as well as new their stiffened swaybar end link bushings and density line transmission mounts. I'm also picking up new tie rods, new ball joints and new hubs for the front.

So this weekend the car will get new front control arms with new bushings, new ball joints, new tie rods, basically brand new Bilstein sport struts, new strut mounts, new trans mounts, and new wheel bearings and hubs. And if I'm lucky my new rear KYB AGX dampening adjustable shocks for the rear will show up and I can put those in too. Then an alignment and enjoy the highly increased handling.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Nice job on the rear end damage and rust repair Dougkehl. Wanna take a ride up to mass and patch up my Quantum? Lol.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Thanks man! And I actually drove up to mass to get my repair panel lol. But unfortunately I'll have to pass because because it really, really sucked and I've still got more to fix on my car :laugh:

·
Registered
810 Posts
Made a new harness for the Pioneer deck. Had it hard wired into the old QSW since the harness was already cut, but this harness is unmolested so I got an adapter and wired it up. Gonna tap either G2 or G5 on the back of the fuse block for constant key-on power and plug that into the car harness next to the illumination wire (unused).

·
Registered
810 Posts
I had a good of laugh at Pete's expense on this whole harness debacle:
"So I sweated my ass off outside trying to find a compatible connector for this friggin radio harness. It would have been real nice to know that there is a little yellow locking tab that you slide out to allow the connector to fit down in the harness...I wasted an hour and a gallon of sweat and about 4 connectors that I thought would fit...live and learn."

Hahaha!
But it does look good.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Scooped up an ISV to hopefully solve some of the idle surge I have. Also installed a new radio, changed speedometer cables and mounted new mud flaps and spoke with my friend about painting the car. Supplies will be ordered soon and the old girl will have a fresh coat of paint by mid-September!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Took the new radio out because I didn't like the way it fit in the dash. Put the old one back in and figured out how to get it out of safe mode (being locked in safe mode was the reason I removed it). I'm extremely lucky the previous owners left the manual for the factory radio in the glove box and wrote down the security code to unlock the radio!

601 - 620 of 645 Posts