VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
621 - 640 of 645 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
New "dogbone" shift link, alongside the nasty, loose old one:

To give credit where it's due: needed parts info was found from this page:
http://forums.quattroworld.com/4000/msgs/52336.phtml
Get your parts from McMaster-Carr (plus two M8x1.25 nuts from, well, wherever.)
For searchability: you'll need two 9416K79 rod ends (10mm ball socket, w/ M8 inside threads), and one 93275A035 (M8x1.25 threaded rod, 130mm (ish.) Shorten threaded rod to 110mm. Assemble, and set to the same length (center-to-center) as old part.
Install. (Have fun getting the locking clips installed!) Enjoy all-metal dogbone link, in its slop-free glory. :cool:
Cost? About $10.
Did this modification/replacement of the dogbone link... In the dark.. Yeah, getting the locking clips installed was a nightmare, but once I got them installed and hopped in the car and felt the difference it made I was very surprised and pleased. Well worth the $10 in parts and 15-20 minutes of my time it took to do this!

·
Registered
1988 Scirocco 16v (Wilda); '02 Passat 1.8T wagon (The Brick); '09 Jetta Sportwagon (wifemobile);
4,585 Posts
Doug:
Glad that info could help someone else out.
It's nice being able to cheaply (and quickly!) fabricate a replacement for a long-NLA part, isn't it? :)

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Doug:
Glad that info could help someone else out.
It's nice being able to cheaply (and quickly!) fabricate a replacement for a long-NLA part, isn't it? :)
It really is great! I appreciate the write up. I've actually followed a few of yours on here, most notably the write up on rebuilding the differential lock selector. Another thing that was worth the time, effort and few dollars spent!

Now to figure out why my driveshaft seems to be making a wurring sort of noise. It's always kind of made it, but it just bothers me now because I've replaced the carrier bearing and the u-joint. Oh well, one thing at a time!

As for what I did, not so much today but over the weekend, I prepped my new fenders and hatch for paint, I'll begin working on the new front and rear doors today. Should have the car in the spray booth within 2-3 weeks given all goes smoothly.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I see your bushing took a crap... Mine did the same about a month ago so I fixed it permanently. Unfortunately I don't have good pictures because it's in the car, but I got rid of the crap bushings and cup all together and welded on a modified high-articulation rod end to the shift rod and then I modified the arm that bolts to the selector shaft that sticks out of the trans. I'm talking about the little arm that has the huge ball on it. With that I cut the head of the rivet that holds that ball on and pressed it out and then clearanced the hole from 8mm to 3/8" and then brazed in a 3/8-16 2" long bolt to the arm and reinstalled the arm.

I will admit that it looks kind of crummy, but it shifts more solid than it ever has now and 10x more smooth than with one of those crap 034 bushings.

These are the only pictures I've got of it installed.
08fdac095bfcb094b50a6881352b2bbd by dougkehl1, on Flickr
5997e37c55c125e1089f69e87be75225 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well done Doug!!

I thought of doing something similar, as in the mock-up below. Unfortunately, I only have basic mechanic tools.

If I could find a socket end big enough to cut up and hook onto the ball it would be good to go.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Well done Doug!!

I thought of doing something similar, as in the mock-up below. Unfortunately, I only have basic mechanic tools.

If I could find a socket end big enough to cut up and hook onto the ball it would be good to go.

Yeah finding a ball socket that big is hard. I forgot how big the ball actually was until I got it off the car.

I'm not sure where you're located, but I could modify your shift rod and the arm that goes onto the selector shaft in the transmission for cheap. I've got all the parts already. The only downside is if something were to happen you're stuck with it.. For me it's not a big deal because I'm putting a 6 speed dog box with a sequential shifter in the car when the engine goes in.

Alternatively, apparently this is a genuine Audi bushing. I've ordered from these guys before.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GEAR-LINKAGE-BALL-SOCKET-AUDI-UR-QUATTRO-TURBO-COUPE-COUPE-QUATTRO-80-90-100-200/263959490416?hash=item3d75362f70:g:AwYAAOSwbD5bq8VW

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Doug,

Thank you for your offer and will definitely keep it in mind if I'm unable to resolve on my end.

Spoke to 034 and a rep there asked me yesterday via e-mail if I want another bushing sent to me or a refund. I need to speak to them on the phone before I make a decision.

That link you sent me is definitely the bushing in question. From the looks of it, many Audis and some VWs came with the same bushing, and for sure those cars are experiencing this issue.

Regards,

-LDC

·
Registered
810 Posts
It wasn't today, but a few weeks ago....
Great story, but long...
About 2 years ago, my slave cylinder failed and I didn't have the time to drop the trans, so i brought it to the shop. I brought them a full clutch kit, new master, slave, and 034 braided line. A bit later, they called and said the slave cylinder broke off in the trans when they tried to remove it. So I figured it was going to take them a while and i needed to buy a cheap interim car, so I told them to hold off and I'd move it to my house to do in the spring. I bought a 2003 Passat for cheap money and after a bit, went by the shop to check on my car. I found a chunk of the bellhousing of the transmission sitting on the passenger seat.
The tech had tried to bang out the roll pin while the trans was in the car and had missed and broken the whole top of the bell housing off so the trans was now junk.
I told them I was planning on a driveline swap anyway and not to worry about it and I'd get the car when I was ready... seeing as how they were the ones who broke it. They have a huge area whete they keep their parts and project cars so it wasn't a problem to leave it thete. Fast forward to a few weeks ago: I pull out of my road to go to the post office. I see my buddy pull in behind me on the road in his scrapping truck with the trailer attached. My QSW was on the freaking trailer! I pulled off and followed him to his house and told him "That's my car!" He laughed and said, "Sure."
I said, "No, seriously, that's my actual car. "
The shop decided to clean out their lot after like 20 or 30 years and the owner gave my QSW to him to scrap. Registered and insured the whole time (don't ask me why I kept paying for that...). I went by and started it up every month or two.
He didn't even call me! I called him and started yelling and he had my buddy tow it to my house. They had swiped my Recaro seat and the alpine head unit. The seat is at the shop and i have to go by and have it out with this guy.
I know the car was there a long time, but it was their fault it had to be off the road all this time. He knows he would be liable since he never called me and never filed for an abandoned vehicle. Jeez, all he had to do was call me and ask me to move it. He claimed he didn't have my number... even though he does and has called me before. If i hadn't left my house at that exact moment, my car would be a cube of crushed metal!
And I just recently got my AEB Engine swap, 01E transmission, and JHM rebuild kit for the trans. I was just about ready to do the driveline swap. How freaking crazy is this?!
You can't make this **** up!
So now I have to really get moving on the swap and get her back on the road!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 VWs currently, list in signature
2,056 Posts
It wasn't today, but a few weeks ago....
Great story, but long...
About 2 years ago, my slave cylinder failed and I didn't have the time to drop the trans, so i brought it to the shop. I brought them a full clutch kit, new master, slave, and 034 braided line. A bit later, they called and said the slave cylinder broke off in the trans when they tried to remove it. So I figured it was going to take them a while and i needed to buy a cheap interim car, so I told them to hold off and I'd move it to my house to do in the spring. I bought a 2003 Passat for cheap money and after a bit, went by the shop to check on my car. I found a chunk of the bellhousing of the transmission sitting on the passenger seat.
The tech had tried to bang out the roll pin while the trans was in the car and had missed and broken the whole top of the bell housing off so the trans was now junk.
I told them I was planning on a driveline swap anyway and not to worry about it and I'd get the car when I was ready... seeing as how they were the ones who broke it. They have a huge area whete they keep their parts and project cars so it wasn't a problem to leave it thete. Fast forward to a few weeks ago: I pull out of my road to go to the post office. I see my buddy pull in behind me on the road in his scrapping truck with the trailer attached. My QSW was on the freaking trailer! I pulled off and followed him to his house and told him "That's my car!" He laughed and said, "Sure."
I said, "No, seriously, that's my actual car. "
The shop decided to clean out their lot after like 20 or 30 years and the owner gave my QSW to him to scrap. Registered and insured the whole time (don't ask me why I kept paying for that...). I went by and started it up every month or two.
He didn't even call me! I called him and started yelling and he had my buddy tow it to my house. They had swiped my Recaro seat and the alpine head unit. The seat is at the shop and i have to go by and have it out with this guy.
I know the car was there a long time, but it was their fault it had to be off the road all this time. He knows he would be liable since he never called me and never filed for an abandoned vehicle. Jeez, all he had to do was call me and ask me to move it. He claimed he didn't have my number... even though he does and has called me before. If i hadn't left my house at that exact moment, my car would be a cube of crushed metal!
And I just recently got my AEB Engine swap, 01E transmission, and JHM rebuild kit for the trans. I was just about ready to do the driveline swap. How freaking crazy is this?!
You can't make this **** up!
So now I have to really get moving on the swap and get her back on the road!

Nice save! Get on with the swap and please start a build thread to document it

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
You sir are very lucky!!! Glad you caught it in time. I'd probably go postal if someone did something like that to one of my cars without giving any heads up that they wanted to clear their yard out.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
#1 mistake you could have made! If you're up for a challenge I know of one for sale for $350.
I would love to, but Right now I have nowhere to store or work on it.

I still have a Coupe though. I'm not totally senseless.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I would love to, but Right now I have nowhere to store or work on it.

I still have a Coupe though. I'm not totally senseless.
I wish i hadn't sold my blue coupe.... not that I need 2 of them.... but....and the guy hacked it and dropped a vr6 in it and dropped it on the ground.... not sure how it ended up...

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Getting ready for the drivetrain swap!
It's gonna take some doing, but it's getting done.
AEB 1.8T with RA4 flywheel and S4 clutch
6-spd B5 S4 01E transmission.

OOOOOOOOOHHHHH Yes!!!! This should be good. Should handle nice too with a little less weight hanging over the front wheels.

621 - 640 of 645 Posts