VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
641 - 645 of 645 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
The flu has sidelined me during the first good weather of the season. I was hoping to have the engine and trans out by now. It's always something. All the engine bay stuff is up for grabs, by the way!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
810 Posts
Got some work done today.
That second pucture is the reason the swap is happening. The shop guy was banging away at the roll pin or the slave with the trans in the car.... no idea why....I gave them the entire clutch assembly to install including new slave and master cylinders and 034 braided line.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Had some free time this afternoon. Got the engine, trans, and subframe completely out. Another fun thing the shop did.... lost my wheel lock key. I didn't notice until I went to pull the front wheels. I should never have used them in the first place. Nobody wants to steal my wheels.
I'm going to try to fab up some engine mount brackets to retain the factory 5-cylinder mounts. Hopefully that'll work, but we'll see.
Slow and steady wins the race.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
necrobump for this thread, but...

I washed the windows and put the steering column back together today.

Gonna work on trailering it up from my parents' place to mine here soon.

Current plans:
Get the little 1.7L running w/ an aftermarket EMS for fuel injection (originally a CIS car)
Sort out a poly belt conversion for the alternator, water pump, and make provisions for A/C again
Do a B3 rear disc swap (have had the parts 5-ever)
Swap the good clean dash that's currently in storage.
Re-key all the doors and latches to match a single key
Fix and clean up the sunroof and drains
General clean-up of the interior and exterior.

Once it's running/driving condition, we start on the general improvements:
Good sound / AA touchscreen, + some more electronic goodies like converting to electric central locking vs the vacuum solenoids
INSTALL AIR CONDITIONING because it is damn humid here in the south.
Power mirrors and heated seats from a 90s car...
Some interior work; make it a 2-seater w/ a big boot, rather than a fold-down seat. Keep the ability to put the seat back in later if I need it.
COP conversion for the 1.7
Suspension upgrades
Maybe turbo...? little baby turbo, not a big honkin high pressure jobbie.

641 - 645 of 645 Posts