VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 6216 Posts

· Registered
393 Posts
How hard was that? I bought it, but it's been sitting in my garage for months now.
I did this yesterday as well, along with Lamin-X door cup film.

The sill protectors were pretty easy, I thought - much more so than the 20+ steps of the instructions would imply. Just make sure the area is clean, and work plane-by-plane: the top, then the first vertical, then the next lip, then the next vertical, etc. It's sort of spelled out in the instructions but I found you really have to rub one plane for a bit to get it to adhere, before moving on. Once you know that - cake. The film was very forgiving. Much easier than the damn door cups.

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did this yesterday as well, along with Lamin-X door cup film.

The sill protectors were pretty easy, I thought - much more so than the 20+ steps of the instructions would imply. Just make sure the area is clean, and work plane-by-plane: the top, then the first vertical, then the next lip, then the next vertical, etc. It's sort of spelled out in the instructions but I found you really have to rub one plane for a bit to get it to adhere, before moving on. Once you know that - cake. The film was very forgiving. Much easier than the damn door cups.
I want those cups and sill protectors but I don't think I have the patience. Thanks for posting about the work involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
118 Posts
I haven't noticed any rubbing and no I haven't done the fender screw mod. However I am a little worried about the rear. It's really really close to the inside wheel liner. I'm gonna raise it about half an inch this weekend to give me some breathing room. I am loving the way it looks though.

13mm spacer in the back 10mm in the front (H&R). The wheels are 18s, 8 inch wide 45mm offset. Tires are 225/40

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah the look is really good in my opinion. Thanks for the specs.

I'm old school and I actually like the California rake. Looking forward to seeing it after you raise the rear.

Cheers.

· Registered
194 Posts
Were they OEM? I bought some cheap eBay knock offs and the gas pedal was a pita. I just figured low quality/fit was the problem.

I got them from Aliexpress. I don't think quality was the issue. It's a pain to put on because they need to make sure it doesn't come off when you're driving

Put on the blue tinted aspherical side mirrors I got from BECAutoparts. I'm hoping it will help with blind spots. Went on a long highway drive last weekend and I couldn't get the mirrors set to my liking.

Next up is installing the Curt hitch and door cups (whenever they arrive)

1 - 20 of 6216 Posts