VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

6741 - 6760 of 6790 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Damn I’m sorry to hear about your daughters tig. I know you put a lot of time into it. Hope insurance comes through for you. As far as parts go I’m definitely interested in the pedals. What color was your interior? May be interested in the door cards. Once you get photos message me may be interested in some other things too. Again I’m sorry this happened and I hope you stick around on the forum. Any thoughts of what you will get next?
I got the insurance settlement and am OK with it. I did keep the car, although I am regretting it a bit, and spent a few hours stripping it. It is Alpine Gray Metallic with Sandstone tan leather. All the interior stuff is fine. I am saving a lot of the electronic modules for my other Tiguan (yes, I will still be here for a while), which will now go to my daughter.

For parts, there is pretty much everything inside an SEL. Someone has already called dibs on the GTI/GLI steering wheel with paddle shifters, but so far that is about it. I will put a list together in the classified when I have time, but if anyone has any specific requests, please let me know ASAP. Once I get the stuff off that I want, it will go to a junk yard. I did take out the RNS510 nav system with the Bluetooth module, high line rear camera system with module and small stuff that I could bring back in my Grand Cherokee. The Bluetooth module looks like a factory retrofit kit with a complete harness, so it would be pretty easy to install in another Tiguan, or other VW for that matter. As for prices, I want to make it worth my while to pull the stuff and ship, but I don't want to hang on to stuff so it needs to go. I can send pictures of some things, but I am back home some 500 miles from the vehicle now and it will be a couple weeks until I am back there. I do have some of the stuff with me, like the RNS510 and Dynaudio system, steering wheel, pedals, climate control head, electronics, power folding mirrors with puddle lights, autodimming rear view mirror with one week old light sensor (still have the box), modules and some other small stuff.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Qmulus you have PM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
First off love the license plate.

Now that you went to 20’s are you thinking about painting the calipers? I have the same color tig but had chrome window moldings and door trim that I wrapped black, wish mine came like that.

I’m on Vogtland springs with koni special actives and have been wanting to go to coils and almost did but ran into some issues with ordering during COVID and pulled out after waiting 6 months. Are you as low as the coils will go down? I was hoping to get mine lower without going to bags but mine looks to be sitting similar to yours. Did you have any turn radius rubbing issues in front? I was wondering if you could measure tire to wheel molding front and back just so I can compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First off love the license plate.

Now that you went to 20’s are you thinking about painting the calipers? I have the same color tig but had chrome window moldings and door trim that I wrapped black, wish mine came like that.

I’m on Vogtland springs with koni special actives and have been wanting to go to coils and almost did but ran into some issues with ordering during COVID and pulled out after waiting 6 months. Are you as low as the coils will go down? I was hoping to get mine lower without going to bags but mine looks to be sitting similar to yours. Did you have any turn radius rubbing issues in front? I was wondering if you could measure tire to wheel molding front and back just so I can compare.

Thank you! I was surprised that plate was available here in San Diego. I’m definitely thinking I want to paint the calibers I’m just not sure what color yet. So it’s interesting. The rears are all the way down and the fronts could go a little lower. Currently at this set up rear measurement is 2.5” and Front is 2.0”. No current running. No spacers. The next couple upgrades I’m thinking about are Magna Flow exhaust and APR intake. Thoughts?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Thank you! I was surprised that plate was available here in San Diego. I’m definitely thinking I want to paint the calibers I’m just not sure what color yet. So it’s interesting. The rears are all the way down and the fronts could go a little lower. Currently at this set up rear measurement is 2.5” and Front is 2.0”. No current running. No spacers. The next couple upgrades I’m thinking about are Magna Flow exhaust and APR intake. Thoughts?
My current setup the fronts have a 2 inch gap and rears are 2.25 inch. Guess I would need to go with bags to really get a more dramatic drop I just don’t want to spend that kind of money and have to deal with the maintenance. I went with black on my calipers to go with my stormtrooper theme which basically just hides them. But I like it more than the metal color showing through.
View attachment 57843

IMG_0952.jpg

I had a magnaflow for about a year, one of the more timid sounding ones but I loved the sound. Loud enough to hear but not too obnoxious for the neighbors. Now it just hangs from my garage ceiling.
IMG_0939.jpg

After running the magnaflow for a year I wanted to go to the quad exhaust look. I was afraid it would be even louder but it ended up being quieter and I was kind of disappointed but achieved the look I wanted.

IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

Which led me to putting in a qtp electric cutoff. Allowing me to fully open it up when I wanted. That only lasted about 2 weeks before it stopped working. I assume it is fault of the motor. I read some reviews saying this was common but was hoping it was how they installed it and not the product itself. So before my next smog I’ll have to take it off. So I would not suggest going the electric cutoff route.

For the intake I started with a neuspeed p flo because it is carb certified and would pass smog. My wife and I were not a huge fan of the intense sucking sound it made. It didn’t sound good to me but I have heard great things from other people running it so maybe it is just a preference thing. I still have that in my garage to swap out when it comes smog time. I replaced it with an apr stage 1 and 2 and love it. They make brackets for it but they didn’t fit my intake and I basically just had to secure only one side of it but it is solid and hasn’t been an issue. When I had the stock front grill I cut a notch in it where the intake lines up. Others have posted about this prior. All in all I love the apr closed element because it doesn’t have a sucking sound and looks pretty clean too. I went with red top coils originally but purchased from Amazon and got what I believe to be fakes that lasted all of 10k miles before causing misfires. So I went back to stock black and purchased through shop dap to be safe. I prefer the black look anyways as you can tell.
IMG_0942.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
if you don't have a downpipe I would do that first. Then I would do a complete APR stage one and stage two intake. After that point I would maybe consider an exhaust for the cool sound but the other two mods will produce significantly more power than the exhaust will

·
Registered
574 Posts
if you don't have a downpipe I would do that first. Then I would do a complete APR stage one and stage two intake. After that point I would maybe consider an exhaust for the cool sound but the other two mods will produce significantly more power than the exhaust will
Im glad you brought that up. I thought smog would be coming up any year now but turns out I have another 3 years until it is needed. I know you are running the cts and you can’t beat the price at $380 right now but do you have to swap out the whole exhaust system so it is 3 inches to the pipes or is it ok to leave the rear 2.5. Did you tune to remove the cel or use a spacer?

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Well honestly the CTS did feel really nice and it was fairly easy to install but I did have constant check engine light issues. I bought a couple of the top of the line spacers for the O2 bung but I could never get the damn thing just right. Sometimes I'd go several weeks or even months without issue and then a temperature change would trigger a check engine light in the ****ing thing would never go away. So in retrospect I would do one of two things. One I would get a different brand and then try to play around with an O2 spacer, or two I would get the downpipe with the catalytic converter so that you don't get the stupid check engine light. The 2.0 TSI, especially the newer versions, are wicked sensitive to the downpipes and catalytic converters.
The way that most downpipes work is that they will actually have a taper and flanges that will mate up directly to the stock exhaust system so you don't have to worry about buying adapters or any of that crap. The stock exhaust diameter is actually just fine for 2.0 up to probably 400 horsepower maybe 500 horsepower. I'm sure that there's literally a couple horsepower to be gained from getting a larger back half exhaust set up but that's about it. Sound increases and variances would also come as an effect of a bigger diameter pipe but that's just for sound.

I never got around to tuning the Tiguan but if I did I'm positive that it would have eliminated the check engine light. I just didn't want to do that because of the warranty

·
Registered
624 Posts
I finished my AWD conversion on my '09 SE, which I can now say is fully 4motion and 100% indistinguishable from factory. It has all the heatshields, wiring, etc. Even the badges and stickers now are correct. It will be the replacement vehicle for my daughter, whose SEL was destroyed. The Golf R that I am building will be my new daily driver.

Overall, the conversion to AWD on this '09 was very straightforward. It literally bolted right in. The rear diff bolted on to the rear subframe, the center carrier bearing support replaced an existing bracket, the exhaust did not need to be changed. I did need to replace the rear bearing housings with those from a 4motion, change the rear ABS sensor harnesses, as the FWD harnesses are too short to get to where the AWD bearing housings have the sensors. This did require dropping the whole subframe though, so that is when I put in the Golf R suspension. The harness for the rear Haldex rear diff is just four wires, power, ground CAN hi and CAN low. I have 18 hours into the swap, including 12 yesterday, but not including the time to get the replacement 4motion parts. Most of it came from a '09 SEL that someone junked with a jumped chain at 95k. I found it at a pull and pay yard and spent an afternoon getting that stuff stripped out.

This car has had quite the life. I bought it a few years ago with 92k and a seized engine (balance shaft - change your oil people, with good oil and factory filter) for a junk vehicle price. They literally just wanted it gone. I found an engine with 70 miles on it from a '13 NTSA crash test Tiguan (found the video of the test on youtube) on car-part.com complete from pan to turbo with harness and gave it to my daughter as her first car. It got hit in the front by a guy running a red light a few months later and insurance totaled it. Everyone was OK, and the bags didn't blow, so it wasn't a high energy impact, but it was enough to total it. I had it in perfect shape, with a pretty much new engine, so I kept it and just got the difference from insurance, found a hood, bumper and headlights from an SEL on craigslist, bought new core support, bumper support, radiator and fans and had a body shop get it straightened out and painted. It was now even better than I had it before, as the normal rock chips, etc were gone and all the alignment specs were zero'd. Seeing this is pretty much a "free" (other than my labor) car for me, I made it a project and put in mk6 Golf R suspension, 19" Savannah wheels, GTI steering wheel with paddle shifters, power folding mirrors, self dimming rear view mirror with auto lights and wipers, puddle lights, stainless GTI/GLI pedals, MIB2 headunit, and I WAS going to put in the rebuilt original engine with head work, a Golf R turbo, IE intercooler, mk7 Golf R brakes, mk6 Golf R seats (from my R - a friend turned a mk7 R into a racecar, so I bought that interior) and Dynaudio sound system. Now that stuff will need to find a new home, so I am on the lookout for a '13 SEL with engine damage, or I will sell all the R conversion goodies.

So, now instead of being what a Tiguan R should be, it will just be good, safe transportation for my daughter with some modern touches like the MIBII, auto headlights and wipers and a nice steering wheel. I will have to find another one to build.

If anyone has a line on a '13 or '14 SEL, preferable in white or blue with black leather and needing engine work (hey, I can wish right?), I am in the market.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Wow awesome work that's incredible

·
Registered
997 Posts
I would LOVE to convert ny wife's tiggy to 4 mo but its manual. And would be a giant pita with parts needed from the euro vw wrold. And she doesnt care so it sits bone stock.

Your story is inspiring. Great job!

Sent via Carrier Pigeon

·
Registered
2,193 Posts

·
Registered
20,041 Posts
Some maintenance...at local shop:

Oil change (Amsoil Signature Series 0w40)
Front & rear diff oil change (Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90)
Spark Plugs (NGK #92400, Ruthenium HX PSPE)
and the rattle clip for the wastegate actuator (It's not rattling yet, but it's there as a precaution)

6741 - 6760 of 6790 Posts