VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

6761 - 6780 of 6790 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Some maintenance...at local shop:

Oil change (Amsoil Signature Series 0w40)
Front & rear diff oil change (Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90)
Spark Plugs (NGK #92400, Ruthenium HX PSPE)
and the rattle clip for the wastegate actuator (It's not rattling yet, but it's there as a precaution)
Have you noticed any difference in acceleration with the ruthenium’s? I have another year or so until I swap mine out proactively but my interest was peaked by your last post on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,041 Posts
Have you noticed any difference in acceleration with the ruthenium’s? I have another year or so until I swap mine out proactively but my interest was peaked by your last post on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not yet... but... it's not like it's going from Stock to Stage 1.

But the double platinums had some "flat spots" in the rev range, which iridiums and ruthenium's fixed.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Got the auto dimming rear view mirror and light/rain sensor wired in in my '09 SE. Finally I could get rid of the aftermarket auto headlight module that wouldn't turn the headlights on soon enough. Also installed the center console from a '16 with the USB and Aux In sockets, along with the correct cable for the MIB2 which allowed the Android Auto/ CarPlay functionality to work. Today I have to do the alternator, tank flap actuator motor, and wire the power correctly for the rear view camera. Then it will go to my daughter who will use it to replace the '09 SEL that was just destroyed... :( No more Tiguan daily driver for me. I will just see it every few months for maintenance.

I have been driving it a lot in the last few days, trying to shake out any issues that might keep it from being a super reliable car for my kid, and I must say that I am going to miss it.

Here is the list of what was in the works for summer, but canceled due to my daughter needing a replacement vehicle ASAP. Sad, I have the parts... These will probably get sold off if I don't find another Tiguan soon with a blown engine, so if you guys see something you may be interested in, PM me and maybe we can make a deal. My goal was to make what a Tiguan R should have been, with performance a bit better than a stock Golf R and (almost) all factory parts.

K04-64 turbo, APR modified to work on TSI engine
Rebuilt CCTA engine with ported and polished head, mk6 Golf R valve springs, new balance shafts, chains and guides
IE intercooler
Mk7 Golf R brakes front and rear with ECS Tuning stainless lines (mk7 Golf Rs have electronic parking brakes )
'13 TT RS rear Haldex controller
19" Savannah wheels
Mk6 Golf R seats with Tiguan SEL power bases for correct height.
Full Dynaudio system with amplifier and all speakers

·
Registered
203 Posts
My '09 SEL 4motion was destroyed today. A felon eluding police in Omaha crashed into it while parked in front of my daughter's apartment. I just did a bunch of work on it, and it was pretty much perfect, but now it is sitting in some towing yard in pieces. Honestly it faired pretty well considering it took the full impact of a Ford F250 with a snow plow on the front and a sand spreader on the back. Thank goodness no one was hurt. Let's hope the business that owned the truck (he was employee - or so I was told by the police) has insurance... I really like that one.
F

sorry to hear man.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My current setup the fronts have a 2 inch gap and rears are 2.25 inch. Guess I would need to go with bags to really get a more dramatic drop I just don’t want to spend that kind of money and have to deal with the maintenance. I went with black on my calipers to go with my stormtrooper theme which basically just hides them. But I like it more than the metal color showing through.
View attachment 57843

View attachment 57760
I had a magnaflow for about a year, one of the more timid sounding ones but I loved the sound. Loud enough to hear but not too obnoxious for the neighbors. Now it just hangs from my garage ceiling. View attachment 57763
After running the magnaflow for a year I wanted to go to the quad exhaust look. I was afraid it would be even louder but it ended up being quieter and I was kind of disappointed but achieved the look I wanted.

View attachment 57775

View attachment 57766

Which led me to putting in a qtp electric cutoff. Allowing me to fully open it up when I wanted. That only lasted about 2 weeks before it stopped working. I assume it is fault of the motor. I read some reviews saying this was common but was hoping it was how they installed it and not the product itself. So before my next smog I’ll have to take it off. So I would not suggest going the electric cutoff route.

For the intake I started with a neuspeed p flo because it is carb certified and would pass smog. My wife and I were not a huge fan of the intense sucking sound it made. It didn’t sound good to me but I have heard great things from other people running it so maybe it is just a preference thing. I still have that in my garage to swap out when it comes smog time. I replaced it with an apr stage 1 and 2 and love it. They make brackets for it but they didn’t fit my intake and I basically just had to secure only one side of it but it is solid and hasn’t been an issue. When I had the stock front grill I cut a notch in it where the intake lines up. Others have posted about this prior. All in all I love the apr closed element because it doesn’t have a sucking sound and looks pretty clean too. I went with red top coils originally but purchased from Amazon and got what I believe to be fakes that lasted all of 10k miles before causing misfires. So I went back to stock black and purchased through shop dap to be safe. I prefer the black look anyways as you can tell. View attachment 57773
Looks incredible! I love what you have done so far! The grill is super clean too! Did you do
Lamin-x tint for the tail lights?

·
Registered
6 Posts
if you don't have a downpipe I would do that first. Then I would do a complete APR stage one and stage two intake. After that point I would maybe consider an exhaust for the cool sound but the other two mods will produce significantly more power than the exhaust will
I did the APR stage one. Out here in San Diego Pure Motor Sport said APR discontinued the stage 2. I want that power but I want to pass smog and not have to deal with that. Definitely about to pull the trigger on the APR intake. The stage 1 upgrade omg what a difference in power!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My current setup the fronts have a 2 inch gap and rears are 2.25 inch. Guess I would need to go with bags to really get a more dramatic drop I just don’t want to spend that kind of money and have to deal with the maintenance. I went with black on my calipers to go with my stormtrooper theme which basically just hides them. But I like it more than the metal color showing through.
View attachment 57843

View attachment 57760
I had a magnaflow for about a year, one of the more timid sounding ones but I loved the sound. Loud enough to hear but not too obnoxious for the neighbors. Now it just hangs from my garage ceiling. View attachment 57763
After running the magnaflow for a year I wanted to go to the quad exhaust look. I was afraid it would be even louder but it ended up being quieter and I was kind of disappointed but achieved the look I wanted.

View attachment 57775

View attachment 57766

Which led me to putting in a qtp electric cutoff. Allowing me to fully open it up when I wanted. That only lasted about 2 weeks before it stopped working. I assume it is fault of the motor. I read some reviews saying this was common but was hoping it was how they installed it and not the product itself. So before my next smog I’ll have to take it off. So I would not suggest going the electric cutoff route.

For the intake I started with a neuspeed p flo because it is carb certified and would pass smog. My wife and I were not a huge fan of the intense sucking sound it made. It didn’t sound good to me but I have heard great things from other people running it so maybe it is just a preference thing. I still have that in my garage to swap out when it comes smog time. I replaced it with an apr stage 1 and 2 and love it. They make brackets for it but they didn’t fit my intake and I basically just had to secure only one side of it but it is solid and hasn’t been an issue. When I had the stock front grill I cut a notch in it where the intake lines up. Others have posted about this prior. All in all I love the apr closed element because it doesn’t have a sucking sound and looks pretty clean too. I went with red top coils originally but purchased from Amazon and got what I believe to be fakes that lasted all of 10k miles before causing misfires. So I went back to stock black and purchased through shop dap to be safe. I prefer the black look anyways as you can tell. View attachment 57773
Sent you a PM.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I did the APR stage one. Out here in San Diego Pure Motor Sport said APR discontinued the stage 2. I want that power but I want to pass smog and not have to deal with that. Definitely about to pull the trigger on the APR intake. The stage 1 upgrade omg what a difference in power!
go directly to the APR website but I'm pretty positive they did not discontinue the stage two intake. I don't feel like your stage two intake would mess with smog because it's literally just a pipe that smooths out transitions and opens up the boar etc but then again I really don't know squat about how California works with their inspections and all that. There are all kinds of pipes you can buy for the Tiguan that increase horsepower that an inspection station would never in their life be able to track down or see. Turbo inlet pipes, intercooler pipes, pancake pipes there are a lot of different things you can do that will go unnoticed

·
Registered
203 Posts
Wow that looks awesome! Where did you get it?
I have a CF wheel on my mk6 gti. I got it from a company called carbonmafia. Really like it.

·
Registered
20,041 Posts
go directly to the APR website but I'm pretty positive they did not discontinue the stage two intake. I don't feel like your stage two intake would mess with smog because it's literally just a pipe that smooths out transitions and opens up the boar etc but then again I really don't know squat about how California works with their inspections and all that. There are all kinds of pipes you can buy for the Tiguan that increase horsepower that an inspection station would never in their life be able to track down or see. Turbo inlet pipes, intercooler pipes, pancake pipes there are a lot of different things you can do that will go unnoticed
AyeAron is referring to Stage 2 ECU program, which requires the downpipe, and both are discontinued per EPA crackdown.

Right now, their new Apex and Carbon filter intakes are not CARB legal, and includes the stage 2 pipe for the intake box, so AyeAron will fail smog with it installed.

Neuspeed P-Flow has the CARB E.O. number, so it is legal for smog.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
APR won't sell stage 2 tuning anymore?!

·
Registered
997 Posts
No. Epa guidelines wont allow it anymore. I think from back around the late spring early summer. Epa went after the aftermarket performance mods in the US.

Sent via Carrier Pigeon

·
Registered
997 Posts

Since apr turns off second o2 sensor and a downpipe will throw a code they chose to not fight and get fined.

Sent via Carrier Pigeon

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Wow no **** I had no idea. ****in a. Thankfully there are a ton of tuner out there but APR is definitely a top dogg for the Volkswagen

·
Registered
1 Posts
Whats up crew. First time posting. Wanted to put my tig out there and get some thoughts.

Put on some lift spacers and wheel spacers today to give the Tig that off-roading look and a little more capability in the snow. Just starting to get hooked on starting to mod this thing. Might have to name it Teeger Woods...

Here's some info. Let me know what you think the next mod should be. Thinking about interior LEDs and smoking out the headlights/fogs/turn signals

2016 Tiguan SE 4motion
-Blacked out all the chrome trim, exhaust piping, and front skid plate
-Rain Gaurds
-Thule rails and roof basket
-40mm front stut spacers and 30mm rear coil spacers
-50mm wheel spacers in front and back for that POKE (and to clear the strut)
-235/70r16 Toyo Open Country III's AT
-VW Jetta rims 16"x6.5" painted black

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just got my Tiguan back from the shop after 2 weeks ... Transmission failed and they replace it with a new (used) one. Replaced front struts with Koni active struts and installed a Neuspeed front sway bar. Car is riding good again !!
Thanks SteveO !!

Reactions: Ianator157
6761 - 6780 of 6790 Posts