VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 52 of 99 Posts

Registered
2018 VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6 spd Midnight Blue
Thinking of putting this in...does it count?
View attachment 222027
View attachment 222026
J/k...this would go on a 1up on hitch, for the fat guy who cant go up street hills in a urban crossover without dismount and push...馃ゴ

Waddaya think: Cool electric dirt bike 50 mile level range, as bug home/gas getter if I get stuck way back?

One step up from ebike, that all the old farts are buying, to almost dirt bike?

I'm a 16 year old when it comes to toys, I confess.
Nope. Doesn't count. Inside only. I bet it would fit with the front wheel off and passenger front seat all the way forward. Try it! Need pics!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Repacked my recovery gear on top of full size spare View attachment 223112
View attachment 223113
tire. Amazing how much room is under the cargo deck...plus "the hidden storage compartment"...
[/QUO
View attachment 223113
tire. Amazing how much room is under the cargo deck...plus "the hidden storage compartment"...
Soft shackles and traction boards? you get roudy with the wagon? Where do you take it that thing? hahaha

Registered
Seriously wish I had snapped a photo of my wheels/tires stuffed into my AT. 18x8.5s and 235/50-18s. It was a very tight squeeze on the way TO the tire shop, but only half as much on the way home. I wonder why.
As one of my YouTube personalities says, 鈥渟panks for watching 鈥.

NDB
@Alltrack_Overland

Registered
2019 VW GSW SE 1.4
View attachment 223113
Very cool. Do you have a list of items you put in there? I saw the air compressor. Do you like it? Also, I have seen people with the fire extinguisher, what type? Lastly, I thought I read that a full size tire could fit in the rear wheel area instead of a donut. Thanks in advance!

Registered
'17 GSW 4MO DSG lifted w/ AT springs
No, I dont have a list- depends on the trip/use.
I have a set of sand mats (never used yet) I carry in cargo box if I might be going someplace sandy at length, for example. Those hard plastic black ones are handy for snow and ice. The hatchet and shovel are ised most- if I get stuck in dirt or sand hog backed- I usually just baja style step by step: jack up a corner, put spare under the side...pile a couple rocks, or wood, then jack again...lay a "bridge" of rocks/wood in the rut under wheel to the next high spot...drive out.

Solo, prevention is 90% of the cure- avoid driving into soft stuff without walking it. Helps to have a passenger coaching like you see in jeep youtubes.

The jerk straps are for if/when someone comes by. Ideally you would go camping with a wingman, ideally equipped with actual 4x4 low low...馃榾

Yes the Warn 12v compressor is very handy- and frugal- slow but easy to use- plug into cigarette lighter style plugs in back right and front seat cubby in my 2017 AT S. I use it to adjust pressure in my little red AirLift helper bags more often, and its preset shutoff at a set pressure is useful.

If you go to Amazon and read reviews you will see that as capability goes up, so does price. I dont need an actual air tank type like you see in some youtubes- those are for someone filling multiple 35" tires on group outings on jeeps, tacos...airing up after airing way down.

I've only had to air down a bit a couple times and when I refill I take a break when the unit heats up, to cool down. I might also carry a mtb type bike pump if I expect to be out far back, and also carry a Mtn bike. "One is none, two is one".

Reminds me: need another VW towing screw-in to the fitting fron back unibody-ring-thingy/whatcha -ma-call-it, just in case I break/bend one.

Anyone know where to find them?
Here you go...
Called a "towing eye"

41 - 52 of 99 Posts