VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard alot about cams but don't know much? Are they a good investment? How well do they work with GIAC. Were to get them for a good price.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Re: What do cams cost for a MK4 vr6 w/ GIAC (tcrboravr6)

schrick new are like $700+. DSR is like $400. they work fine with a chip, and you can always reprogram the garrett that you do have to work even better with cams. I think theyre the best investment ive made in my car, next to eurolights.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts

Schricks seem to show a little more hp on the dyno. The schrick's are 268's which are designed to give you power more towards higher RPM's the Dsr's are 256's and they are more of a mid range power adder. It really a personal preference. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
8,951 Posts

I'll take you for a ride this weekend. I have the scrick 260'264's.
edit: 268's in a MKIV give a CEL and they are more expensive because the DSR's are regrinds of factory cams.

[Modified by I_Fly_GTi, 10:58 PM 11-27-2001]

·
Banned
8,951 Posts

Dunno, thats what RPI told me. Not worth the risk in my opinion. I am trying to get a GTG at Speedworld going for tomorrow so if you can cruise out and I'll take you down the strip.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Re: What do cams cost for a MK4 vr6 w/ GIAC (I_Fly_GTi)

Dont forget TT cams. They are about $500 and are just as good as Schricks.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Re: What do cams cost for a MK4 vr6 w/ GIAC (I_Fly_GTi)

quote:[HR][/HR]268's in a MKIV give a CEL[HR][/HR]​

Has anyone else heard this? Will a correctly mapped GIAC chip fix this?

·
Banned
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: What do cams cost for a MK4 vr6 w/ GIAC (1BadAzzVR6)

How good are the tt ones? They make a real good exhaust.

·
Registered
8,493 Posts

Welcome to the world of vr6 price gouging. Try waiting for a group-buy on schricks, as that will get the price down closer to the actual cost of those things, not the $900 or so that places ask! As for the cel, I'm not sure, try asking http://www.matrixengineering.cc they should have the answers for you, AND they are the NW distributor for GIAC
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,871 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]How good are the tt ones? They make a real good exhaust.[HR][/HR]​
from a few ppl ive talked too that have these cams in their cars, they told me they are almost exact quality as the Schricks. They are not a regrinded cam, but they are cheaper then Schricks. I guess its all name ... not sure tho.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts